Author Topic: Brown/Forsyth  (Read 8351 times)

Offline katye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brown/Forsyth
« on: Tuesday 20 September 05 10:09 BST (UK) »
My gt grandfather, Andrew Brown, was born in Rothesey in 1853.His parents were John Brown and Christina Forsyth, married 1850, also in Rothesey.I can't find any record of Christina before this date but there are a couple of possible matches for John. In the 1871 Census, they are living in Greenock. On Andrew's wedding certificate John's occupation is stated as "Tanner-Foreman". I could be wrong as the wtiting is hard to decipher. Do either of the names ring a bell?

Offline aarongardner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brown/Forsyth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 October 05 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Please may you tell me Christina Forsyth  parents

Many Thanks

Aaron Gardner
FORSYTH -- SCOTLAND

GARDNER -- SCOTLAND

MARSHALL -- SCOTLAND

RUSSELL -- SCOTLAND

TONKS -- SHEFFIELD

TONKS -- KINGSWINFORD

Offline aarongardner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 00:02 GMT (UK) »
 I HAVE A CHRISTINA FORSYTH B. 8TH JUNE 1830

MY FULL NAME IS AARON ROY FORSYTH GARDNER

MANY THANKS
AARON GARDNER
FORSYTH -- SCOTLAND

GARDNER -- SCOTLAND

MARSHALL -- SCOTLAND

RUSSELL -- SCOTLAND

TONKS -- SHEFFIELD

TONKS -- KINGSWINFORD

Offline katye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Aaron, My Christina's father was Andrew Forsyth and her mother was Jane( I think it is Mackay- the handwriting on the certificate is diabolical). I was able to find her death certificate. On the 1871 census she states her place of birth as Edinburgh but I haven't been able to find a record of her. 1830 would fit as she was 41 on the same census.

Cheers, Katye.

Offline aarongardner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Please may you tell me Andrew Forsyth's Parents

Many Thanks

Aaron Gardner
FORSYTH -- SCOTLAND

GARDNER -- SCOTLAND

MARSHALL -- SCOTLAND

RUSSELL -- SCOTLAND

TONKS -- SHEFFIELD

TONKS -- KINGSWINFORD

Offline katye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Aaron,

This is where I hit a brick wall.The only thing I know about Andrew Forsyth is that he was a contractor- according to Christine's death certificate. If I could find a birth certicate for her or a marriage certificate for her and John Brown that might say. I found the entry for the marriage on Scotlands People but no image was available- I'd have to pay extra for that- I haven't got around to that yet.

Katye

Offline katye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aaron. I had another look at the certificate and did some more searching. With a little inspiration, I think I have cracked the mystery but it has created another one.
The first thing I did was search for a marriage between Andrew Forsyth and Jane? in Scotland. This lead to a record of the children born to  Andrew and Jean Mowbray( my other guesses for her name were Marbary or Mowbrary)- no marriage. The children were Jane(1815), David(1820) and James(1825). The children were all born in Duddingston, Edinburgh. However, no Christina.

My brother had a similar problem with a name. The relative in question was sometimes recorded as Christina, sometimes as Christian. On the 1861 census, the name looks like Christian. The IGI index did find a Christian Forsyth born  in 1829 to Andrew Forsyth and Jean McKenzie(Jean is a form of Jane) in exactly the same place. There was also a son, Alexander Napier Forsyth born in 1822.

So, either there were 2 Andrew Forsyths living in Duddingston at the same time or it's the same man- 2 women. Either scenario is plausible but that doesn't explain why Christian/Christina's mother's name is Jean Mowbray unless Christina was brought up by her.

I don't know if this matches up with anything you have......

Karen.

Offline Brown Family

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 May 16 11:39 BST (UK) »
 Wondering if you are aware of John Brown's Genealogy I am searching for information on John Brown born 22ND January 1829. His father John Brown and mother Marion Johnstone .My Grandfather was Andrew Brown his brother.