Author Topic: Benjamin Murrell Shepperson - Offspring  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Shannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Benjamin Murrell Shepperson - Offspring
« on: Wednesday 21 September 05 05:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I posted the following on the Suffolk queries page as all records found thus far have pointed to Suffolk.  I have, however, since been told by one of the Suffolk researches that it looks as though the Sheppersons I am looking for were actually from Cambridgeshire.
If anyone has any info it will be greatly appreciated.
Shannon

[I am desperately trying to track down the children of Benjamin Murrell Shepperson.  He was born in1779/1780 in Suffolk England - died - 28 May 1857 in Grahamstown, Albany, Cape Colony, South Africa.
He was married to Susan Fuller - born 1790 in England, died 1 November 1857 in Grahamstown, Albany, Cape Colony, South Africa.
They apparently, according to first hand information from their granddaughter, had 33 children.  I have a list of only 5 - the one most important to my family line being Benjamin Matthew Shepperson - born around 1813, died 11 march 1872.
As far as I have been able to work out so far, the children, if not all, then most of them, were born in Suffolk - Eriswell seems to come up quite often.

I have the following 5 children's details, and I am trying to find the details of the missing 28.
Benjamin Matthew Shepperson - 1813-1872 (married Mary Ann Godlonton 245 Feb 1841 in Grahamstown South Africa)
Arnold Shepperson - 1815-1876
Fanny Shepperson - 1818-1843
John Fuller Shepperson - 1820-1865
Maria Shepperson - 1821-1890

I believe it is reasonable to assume that some of the children did not make it through to adulthood, but there must be records somewhere of the missing children.

Below is an excerpt from my grandmother's aunt's memoirs (grandmother's side of the family - Bate) mentioning the 33 children.
Now your grandmother's family.  Her father was one of 33 children, born of one mother at Mildenhall, Suffolk. Benjamin was about the 15th and his mother's mother was so annoyed at the rate her daughter was having children that she took Benjamin to stay with her for a couple of years (and I think she must have died then) - anyway B. much enjoyed having toast and marmalade for breakfast and sitting down at the table, and was very upset when he returned to his own home and had to have a bowl of porridge for breakfast, standing at a long table along the side of the hall, and keeping his station according to his age.  He later said his only picture of his mother was "a pale lady sitting on a sofa with her feet up, making babies' bonnets.  I don't know how he got out to the Cape, but he was a tailor (of all things) in Grahamstown.  He married first a 2Godlonton and had 6 children; she died and he then married my dearly loved grandmother, Elizabeth Anne Featherstone - "Fan".  Fan's mother did not approve of her marrying a widower with 6 children and on the day of the wedding, in the Metropolitan Church, Grahamstown said she wasn't going to the wedding and would stay in bed.  Fan then began tidying the bedroom , said she didn't mind, she'd be married in her mother's bedroom.  So Grannie Featherstone got up and went to the church.]

Filling in the family tree gaps:
Paternal Grandfather - Stewart, John, Mann, Stringer
Paternal Grandmother - Shepperson, Chubb, Bate, John
Maternal Grandfather - Wynne

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Murrell Shepperson - Offspring
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Shannon

Cambs FHS has a baptism index 1801-37 on its website http://www.cfhs.org.uk/Search.html

There are only 5 Sheppersons in total, nowhere near the 28 you are looking for, and none had parents Benjamin and Susan.

The site also has indexes for the 1841 and 1851 censuses. When did they emigrate?  Did all of the children go to South Africa with their parents - particularly all those that you know of?

Just looked at the 1861 and found that there was only one Shepperson born in Suffolk in the whole census. However found the following which may be of interest:

RG9/1142 folio 74
High St, Worlington, Suffolk
Benjamin Shepperson son unmarr 19 merchants clerk born Africa
Marianne Shepperson dau 10 scholar b Africa
Bessie Shepperson dau 2 b Africa
Amy Shepperson dau 1 b Africa
+ 2 servants
- Rudd unmarr 50 nurse born Africa
Ann Morley 15 nursemaid b Mildenhall

There's no sign of a head of the family though. The family is wrongly indexed as being born in the United States, although the original is clearly Africa.

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 10:21 BST (UK) »
Just found a few more Sheppersons on the National Burial Index:

Buried at Eriswell Suffolk
25 Feb 1819 Thomas infant
20 Aug 1819 Martha infant
21 Apr 1822 Oswald aged 15
18 Jan 1825 Harriot 3mths
9 Apr 1825 Frederick 8 mths

There were two Shepherdsons buried at Ipswich, but they were of the wrong age, but no others in Suffolk at all.

Regards

David

Offline Shannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

From the patchy info I have regarding Benjamin Murrell, He emigrated to South Africa in 1842.
I actually do not know how many children went to South Africa with him and his wife.

From your info....
RG9/1142 folio 74
High St, Worlington, Suffolk
Benjamin Shepperson son unmarr 19 merchants clerk born Africa
Marianne Shepperson dau 10 scholar b Africa
Bessie Shepperson dau 2 b Africa
Amy Shepperson dau 1 b Africa
+ 2 servants
- Rudd unmarr 50 nurse born Africa
Ann Morley 15 nursemaid b Mildenhall

This is Benjamin Matthew Shepperson - Amy is my great great grandmother.

I am quite interested by the second posting regarding the children on the Burial Index.  I have a suspicion a lot of the children would have died at birth or very young - to have 33 children survive would be a miracle.  I also pondered on the thought that there may have been some twins.....
P.S. I am still quite new to this site and am getting used to using it - I will grovel around in other postings to see what other info I can get on the Sheppersons.
Your help is much appreciated..
Regards,
Shannon

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Shannon

I'm struggling to follow this family's movements between England and SA

Benjamin Murrell emigrated in 1842, having appeared in England on the 1841 (per the posting on the Suffolk board), and died in SA in 1857

Benjamin Matthew married in SA in 1841 so must have left England prior to that

His, presumably first, son Benjamin was born in SA in 1841/2, and was visiting  Suffolk in 1861 along with three of his siblings. It would have been strange parents to have sent a 1 year old Amy to England and stayed in SA so I can only hope that Benjamin Matthew and his wife were also in England but were missed off the census.

What surprises me is that with so many alleged children no Sheppersons appear in the 1861 census (OK, the daughters would have married and appear in their married names, but were there no males left at all?)  I can't imagine that the whole enormous family upped and left in 1842.

A few random thoughts

there's a Lydia Oswald Shepperson on the IGI, controlled extract, not an airy fairy member submission, christened 2 Dec 1836 at Brandon which is only 6 miles along the road from Eriswell, dau of John and Martha Shepperson. Could John have been another son? (Oswald was one of those who was buried at Eriswell)

the two infants who were buried in 1819 may well have been twins.

there's one sure way to find out once and for all and that's to check Eriswell parish register which has been filmed by the LDS so could be viewed at your nearest LDS Family History Centre in SA. There's a list on www.familysearch.org - hopefully you're not out in the bush miles from a large town!

Regards

David

Offline Shannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

I must admit this branch of the family is causing some confusion.  I thought the Stewarts would be hard to back-track and they have, in fact, been far easier.  I think the biggest problem is coming from the confusion of birth places, emigration and 33 children.  I am assuming that the 33 children is acurate as it seems to be a first-hand account from Hilda Breese (née Bate) Amy Shepperson's (Benjamin Murrell Sheppersons granddaughter) daughter.  I have jsut registered on Genes Reunited website and I will see what I can get from that.

Luckily I live in Cape Town and have internet access at home.  I have used familysearch.org quite a lot, but have been struggeling with the Sheppersons.  I may well inded not be using the site as well as I could be - I am relatively inexperienced in the whole online family research thing....

I think the best thing for me to do is sit with all the info I have collected thus far on the Sheppersons and put it all togther in a logical format with emigrations, biths, deaths and so on.
I can then take it form there.

Thanks so much for your help andd if anything else crops up, please let me know.
Regards,
Shannon