Author Topic: Help! Passenger List for SS FURNESSIA, Glasgow to New York.  (Read 8634 times)

Offline piccarso

• RootsChat Member
  • Pog Mo Thoin.
    • View Profile
Help! Passenger List for SS FURNESSIA, Glasgow to New York.
« on: Wednesday 21 September 05 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there all,

I've an ancestor OWEN GALLAGHER age 24, arriving in the port of NEW YORK, NEW YORK STATE, ABOARD the VESSEL FURNESSIA from GLASGOW, SCOTLAND, on the 3rd Oct 1909 according to Info on his Declaration of Intention to Naturalise, which was made out in 1914.
I've been to castlegarden.org, immigrantships.net, also ellis island site, but cannot locate him on this ship, can anyone out there help me find this guy?

I also am trying to find his brother JAMES on passenger lists for 1920, arriving at the port of BUFFALO, NEW YORK STATE ABOARD the VESSEL MIRRODOSSIA OR MINODOSSIA, on the 6th Sep 1920 from LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, also according to his Dec of Int to Nat in 1923, I can't find any sites for this period, can you help me here too?

I'd be very grateful for any help in both areas.

Regards

Jim. Hendry.

Hendry,Hendrie,pollock,Bonnar, Bonar, Gallacher, Gallagher.
(Glasgow/Lanarkshire/Ayrshire/Scotland).

Hendrie, Hendry, Henry, Houden, Clark, Gallacher, Gallagher, McGuire (Scotland/Ireland)

Westmuckett, Davies, Corbett-Davies, Corbett, Williams, Bevan, Price, (England and Wales)

Offline chloespop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Passenger List for SS FURNESSIA, Glasgow to New York.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 September 05 03:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Try www.ellisisland.org  You'll probably find Owen there.

I'm not sure that ocean- going vessels could get to Buffalo before the St Lawrence Seaway was built back in the 1950's. It might be he actually came thru Ellis Island and ended up in Buffalo.  Just a thought.

Fred Smith

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 September 05 03:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

You should try Steve Morse's one step search engines for Ellis Island. It's at http://www.stevemorse.org/

Be creative in the spelling of your man's last name and be sure you allow a year or two on either side of what he said on his nat. papers. This was before verification checks were done and so if he MISremembered the year of immigration (as often happened) you need to check other years.

I would check for Owen arriving 1908-1910.

The one steps explain what to do, you can search by passenger name OR by ship name. You can search frame by frame on the ship. The microfilmed manifests are able to be searched frame by frame using Steve's one-steps.

Good luck
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline piccarso

• RootsChat Member
  • Pog Mo Thoin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 September 05 11:56 BST (UK) »
Thx Pop,

I've checked ellis island, no joy there, the Buffalo port of entry was on his Declaration of Intent to Naturalise, so I naturally thought it was... The Port thx anyway for your Info, you'll probably know more about it than me.

Regards

jim.

Hi Jim,

Try www.ellisisland.org  You'll probably find Owen there.

I'm not sure that ocean- going vessels could get to Buffalo before the St Lawrence Seaway was built back in the 1950's. It might be he actually came thru Ellis Island and ended up in Buffalo.  Just a thought.

Fred Smith

Hendrie, Hendry, Henry, Houden, Clark, Gallacher, Gallagher, McGuire (Scotland/Ireland)

Westmuckett, Davies, Corbett-Davies, Corbett, Williams, Bevan, Price, (England and Wales)

Offline piccarso

• RootsChat Member
  • Pog Mo Thoin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 September 05 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

You should try Steve Morse's one step search engines for Ellis Island. It's at http://www.stevemorse.org/

Be creative in the spelling of your man's last name and be sure you allow a year or two on either side of what he said on his nat. papers. This was before verification checks were done and so if he MISremembered the year of immigration (as often happened) you need to check other years.

I would check for Owen arriving 1908-1910.

The one steps explain what to do, you can search by passenger name OR by ship name. You can search frame by frame on the ship. The microfilmed manifests are able to be searched frame by frame using Steve's one-steps.

Good luck

Thx for the Info,

I looked at the site but some tools for Ellis Island are down due to Hurricane Rita, will check later.

Thx again for taking the time to help me.

Kind Regards

Jim.

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 September 05 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

If James said that Buffalo was the port of entry on his nat. papers it is far more likely that he sailed to CANADA first, then went overland to Buffalo. Many immigrants came to US via Canada as fares were generally much cheaper that way.

In 1895 Canada and USA established a joint inspection system. Passengers arriving in Canada who intended to go on to United States were inspected by US Officials at the Canadian Port of Arrival, then enumerated on US immigration lists.  Two sets of records were created - passenger lists and compiled inspection cards.

These CANADIAN BORDER CROSSING records were microfilmed by INS. They cover 1895-1954 and are indexed.  I would have a search of them if I were you.

For more information on the St Albans (Canadian Border Crossing) Lists (including film numbers), see http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/stalbanslist.shtml

Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline piccarso

• RootsChat Member
  • Pog Mo Thoin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 September 05 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

If James said that Buffalo was the port of entry on his nat. papers it is far more likely that he sailed to CANADA first, then went overland to Buffalo. Many immigrants came to US via Canada as fares were generally much cheaper that way.

In 1895 Canada and USA established a joint inspection system. Passengers arriving in Canada who intended to go on to United States were inspected by US Officials at the Canadian Port of Arrival, then enumerated on US immigration lists.  Two sets of records were created - passenger lists and compiled inspection cards.

These CANADIAN BORDER CROSSING records were microfilmed by INS. They cover 1895-1954 and are indexed.  I would have a search of them if I were you.

For more information on the St Albans (Canadian Border Crossing) Lists (including film numbers), see http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/stalbanslist.shtml

Eillo,

Thx for the Info, I've been to the site, noted the Roll No, and Volume Page on the arrivals through Buffalo in 1919, and noted I have had to order a form (passenger arrival records) from NARA, to be sent by email, and have done so.
I'll fill it in when I get it, and wait for a reply.

Thx again for taking  the time to help me.

Kind Regards

Jim.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 July 17 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Who were Owen's parents out of interest? My Great-Great-Grandfather was named Owen (or Eugene) Gallagher. He lived in Springburn, Glasgow and had a son Charles who emigrated to America in 1928. Owen's parents were Hugh Gallagher and Bridget O'Brien from Tyrone. The name Eugene is just the Latin form for Owen and was used officially on certificates despite himself being known to the family as Owen.

Cheers,

Tony