Author Topic: Birth Records Newry - COWAN  (Read 5867 times)

Offline Hethers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Records Newry - COWAN
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 October 15 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Just exhausted my parental G'grandparents side of things (Hetherington) and am exploring my maternal G'grandparents side...Cowan.
Harriet Boynes is confusing me, cant find a reference.
No marriage references for James and Harriet. Daughter Mary Frances born 1876 Birkenhead, so they married in Ireland before this, but on the census of 1871 (no record).
My grandmother was Annie Doran Cowan.
Thru Wikitree, bumped into Dave, who is the grandson of Jessie and has references to Dorothy who moved to NZ. Jayne1963 is related to Margaret (Auntie Madge [Findlay]) as I knew her....
If you want to debate outside of this - (*)
(sorry for typing errors (man-flu))
Regards,
Paul Hetherington.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.[/color

Offline Jayne1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 October 15 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm Jayne 1963.   My grandmother was Madge Hesketh, she married Harold Roberts. But shortly after having my Dad, she died of TB.  She was 22. My Dad was then brought up by Madges Mum, Margaret Cowan, Hesketh, Guest, Findlay.  She lost all her children when they were young ( in their 20's). Except for Robert Findlay ( uncle Bob).  Uncle Bob and my Dad Stuart were close, unfortunately I have lost both of them.  My dad died in 1999 and Uncle Bob in 2004.  I do not recall meeting any other Cowans or family members.  I was shocked to discover that Harriet Cowan nee Boynes (Margaret Cowan's Mother) was still alive when I was little.  I have come up against a brick wall when it comes to finding the Irish roots and there is no one to ask.  I am going to Ireland in December but wouldn't know where to start.  Was one a Catholic and one a Protestant?  Maybe they never married!  I did find a female Cowan that got shipped off to Australia for breaking the law, something to do with alcohol and men!!!  LOL.  I obviously have photos of uncle Bob and one or two of Nannie Fin (Margaret Cowan).  Have you any?

Offline Hethers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 October 15 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayne,
shall post the question on the Liverpool group tomorrow.
You can't go over there without a clue.
PS: could you use (*) just in case I miss this?

regards,

Paul Hetherington

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Jayne1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 October 15 23:34 BST (UK) »
I tried your email but it bounced back. I will try again. I'm not going to Ireland just to search, I have an extended family over there as my grandfather who was married to Madge Hesketh married again so I have half cousins there.