Author Topic: Stubbs Family Ravenstonedale  (Read 5915 times)

Offline Dodger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stubbs Family Ravenstonedale
« on: Friday 13 August 04 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hello

New to list, Have a Thomas Stubbs who married Agnes ? before 1733 from Ravenstonedale
Their children were Mary , John, William (married Anne Fryer) Joseph (married Margaret Gill from Crosby Garrett in 1773) and Agnes.
Some of the family moved to Arkengarthdale Yorkshire

Would be pleased to hear from anyone with any connections

Cheers
Dodger

Offline Telinlethaed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stubbs Family Ravenstonedale
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 September 04 22:42 BST (UK) »
I, too, have Thomas & Agnes in my file (from Bowderdale, if we have the same folks). However, I have their son, William, as married to Rachel Armstrong. I don't find a record of a son, Joseph, either. Would love to see what else you have. Please include sources for your info. Thanks.

Offline Dodger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 September 04 15:32 BST (UK) »
These early Stubbs are a bit sketch at mo, got most of my info from a lady, Jane Stubbs who is doing a one name study of the name. Thomas and agnes son ,William ( that I have) married Ann  Fryer in 1756 in Middleton Tyas Yorkshire, the family settled in Arkengarthdale Yorks as lead miners, still on the same line?

Offline Eden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 October 04 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am descended from Thomas and Agness Stubbs through their son Joseph who married Margaret Gill in 1773 at Crosby Garrett.
I would love to swap info.

Alan

Offline Eden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 October 04 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Dodger,

Joseph Stubbs (1739 - 1781) a Shoemaker married Margaret Gill (1754 - ?) in 1773. Margaret was the 8th of nine children of Thomas (1716 - 1799) & Mary Gill (1716 - 1776) of Crosby Garrett.

Joseph Stubbs and Margaret had 3 daughters Agnus 1776 - 1777, Mary 1778 - ? and Margaret 1780 - 1821.

Margaret Stubbs married William Sowerby (1781 - 1825) a Carpenter of Asby in 1803. William was the youngest of the eleven children of Joseph Sowerby (1727 - 1808) and Isabel nee Hodgson (1737 - 1817).

Margaret & William Sowerby had 5 children all born in Great Asby. Joseph 1804, Issabella 1806, James 1808, Margaret 1811 & William 1817.

Joseph Sowerby (1804 - 1852) a Hind of Fell Head, Asby married Elizabeth Penrith in 1828. Elizabeth (1807 - 1858) was the eldest daughter of Thomas Penrith & Jane nee Hunter.   

Joseph Sowerby & Elizabeth had 5 children Thomas 1832, Elizabeth 1834, Joseph 1844 & Jane 1850.

Elizabeth Sowerby (1834 - 1870) married my G.G. Grandfather John Stephenson at Orton in 1859.

Yours Alan Stephenson

Offline Telinlethaed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 January 05 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Please let me jump in here again. Could either of you please give me a source for your thinking that Joseph is the son of Thomas and Agnes? It fits nicely, but I can't find anything from my chair (here in Ohio) to put down for a source <grin>. As with all online data, information from Jane Stubbs needs to be handled with care. Ask to see sources. Thanks.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi
No connection at all except that I spend many holidays very close to Crosby Garret - right on the watersplash if that means anything to you - and frequently go to Ravenstondale if you want photos or anything of that sort.
Andrea

Offline mlewis206

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 January 06 16:40 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Janis as far as Jane Stubbs goes.  I do believe my John was the son of William Stubbs (son of Thomas and Agnes) and Rachel Armstrong.  Jane feels John is the son of
William Stubbs and Margaret Coupland. I have 4 letters from John Stubbs dated 1841, 1847, 1849 and 1851. The information (dates -..etc..) on these letters show he can not be William and Margaret's son. The info points to William and rachel. The letter can be read online at http://www.geocities.com/mlewis_206/Lettersfromrevjohn.html
Is there anyone else that can help straighten these out?
Mary