Author Topic: Kings Own Scottish Borderers  (Read 1101 times)

Offline brandane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kings Own Scottish Borderers
« on: Friday 23 September 05 20:45 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can tell me how i find out about my great grandfathers records.
On his marriage certificate Name Joseph Arthur Sharkey b. 07/06/1895 it cites his occupation as being Private 2/5 of Kings Own Scottish Borderers, marriage cert was 1916.
Some help would be appreciated.
Thanks Jackie
Sharkey/McQuade/McFarlan(e)/Quin or Queen/Steel/Baird/Welsh/Shannon/Crawford/Hutchinson/Ross/Conchie in Annan, Dumfriesshire, Carlisle and Ireland areas.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kings Own Scottish Borderers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 September 05 21:20 BST (UK) »
You can see medal cards, which given regimental numbers, here:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

Unfortunately there are two Joseph Sharkeys listed with the    King's Own Scottish Borderers (they are on the same catalogue reference, so you could get both medal cards for 3.50).  Whether this is the same man with two different numbers or two different men I couldn't say.

Many WWI records were lost, the National Archives has information on the 'Burnt Records' which have been particularly reconstructed, I think something like 30-40% were either saved or have been restored from other information.  All the information you need is on the National Archives site.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brandane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 September 05 22:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you, i suspect the joseph sharkey might be my great uncle as well as he was in kosb.  :)
Sharkey/McQuade/McFarlan(e)/Quin or Queen/Steel/Baird/Welsh/Shannon/Crawford/Hutchinson/Ross/Conchie in Annan, Dumfriesshire, Carlisle and Ireland areas.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 September 05 21:48 BST (UK) »
jackie,the 2/5th were a territorial battalion,they were known as the 2/5th [ dumfries+galloway] battalion,the furthest they went,was to ireland,first to ballykinler,then in july 1917 to the curragh,they were disbanded on 15th may 1918,if he stayed with them then he would not have got any medals which means the two men in the MIC cards wont be him,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.