Author Topic: *completed with MANY thanks* Challenge- Shrewsbury artist  (Read 19020 times)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge-Find info on Shrewsbury artist
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 25 September 05 13:09 BST (UK) »
Monica & J.J.

Can you just clarify exactly which of the daughters we are looking for in 1881?  I know this might sound like a dumb question, but after reading back through the posts I am left wondering.

It may be worth putting a separate post on to see if anyone can find Emily or Martha in the 1881 census. However they may not be there to find. Some people just seem to have missed out getting listed, especially if they were away from home.

Monica

Is Martha not this one?:
1881 census:

Rhydd Court Mansion, Hanley Castle, Worcestershire.

Ellen M Blunt, U, 34, Governess, b. Meole Brace, Shropshire.

1871 census

Ellen Martha Blunt, daughter, U, 24, Governess, b. Meole Brace.

This is from the 1861 census,
Ellen Martha Blunt, daughter, U, 24, Governess, b. Meole Brace

Or have I completely lost the plot? ;D

Jan

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 25 September 05 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

It is getting confusing, isn't it?  As JJ is offline at the moment I'll tell you where (I think) we've got to.

We have found most of the family in the censuses except for mother, Martha b. 1812, and daughters Emily b. 1843 and Annie b. 1852, if she didn't die until 1887.

Good hunting!
Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 25 September 05 14:14 BST (UK) »
Oh thanks for that Monica!  At last I know where I am.  I didn't realise that the Mother was missing in 1881 ;D

The repeated christian names are certainly very confusing - I'm sure we all have them in our Trees!

At least I now know who I'm looking for :D

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 25 September 05 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, Jan....you are turning up everywhere today!!!!

Don't think that we will find them as i tried all kinds of things like misspells and just last names  no counties at all....Blount Bland Blund...

You are all really super at this! What a site this is, with so many wonderful genealogists.  I often have trouble keeping up! J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 25 September 05 18:07 BST (UK) »
Oh, Hi...Monica...
  I just read up to see another post from you!  Thanks for the compliment!
My mum was an artist until her very last stroke a few years back ( that section of the brain was affected)  ...That's why we knew about Henry.
She was always very proud of her Grandfather's uncle. I am sure she knew he died young, but I waited too long to try gleaning information from her!
   My horrorscope illustrations made me all of $25.00 a cartoon...and it often
took me over 5 hours....so it wasn't a lucrative job...but it was a lot of fun!
I am afraid that I am not a very good saleperson for myself as a freelance
artist. I had imagined myself illustrating books and drawing people's children
for a living. Ah, well, it's still a lovely hobby and I enjoy it very much!
  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 25 September 05 18:32 BST (UK) »
Thankyou again to all...and many cyber hugs!!! 

Re: my branch of the tree...Here is an old post with the whole family listed....Jan is going to take some shots for me at St. Chad's.  Am I allowed to post another thread's link...I suppose I will find out soon enough!!!
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,67302.msg274336.html#msg274336

I like to see down all the paths, which may be weird, but I am just interested in the families...I never would have found that Agnes, Henry's daughter was also an artist, otherwise...and that is a fun thing to know! Great Grandpa had a huge orchard...Mom grew a garden full of every fruit she could grow in her Province.(Saskatchewan, Canada... It's cold here in the winter)...he inspired her to do this, she always said...
and looking down another family, I found that her cousin also was a fruit farmer...
She loves to hear these things!  Jeany (J.J.)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 21 January 08 15:35 GMT (UK) »
You all were so wonderful to help me when I was a MEGGA-noobie ( I'll always be a NEWBIE) Have to share this....

I have found something very exciting....I need to find out if this is the same Henry, although not proven, the fact that they were a family of science does point to it being about the same man!

I need to get a copy of this publication so I can find out for sure...!
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2000A&G....41a...6H
   "An unrecorded Shropshire modeller of the Moon. This model of the surface of the Moon, made by Henry Blunt, surfaced among the Society’s photographic ..."

Many hugs to all of you....J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 21 January 08 15:35 GMT (UK) »
There is an image of it online!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/objects/astronomy/1858-43.aspx?keywords=lunar
"Made in 1851, this model is an electrotype copy of a plaster replica of the Moon's surface centred on the crater Eratosthenes. Framed in a wooden case it was made by the amateur astronomer, Henry Blunt. The model is based on observations of the Moon made with his reflecting telescope from his home at Shrewsbury. The main crater in the electrotype corresponds to a lunar feature 28 miles across (45 km). It was donated to the Science Museum by the Commissioners of the Great Exhibition and was probably displayed at the 1851 world exposition. The model is described in the exhibition catalogue, but other examples of lunar models by Blunt are known to exist"

Wow and a top/faceon view, also...
http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/images/I054/10321830.aspx?keywords=lunar
http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/images/I054/10321828.aspx?keywords=lunar

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 21 January 08 15:45 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to mention that I have written the Darwin site and they have added henry's date of death...thanks to all your hard work and sleuthing on my behalf.

I just found this, so seems it is our man as it states the date of his death....but still want the publication...."about Henry Blunt (d.1853) & his models of the lunar surface"
http://www.aas.org/had/bibliographies/bibliography2000-04.pdf

and this site say "an apothecary in Shrewsbury" so it is his work!!!!
http://www.astro.cardiff.ac.uk/sas/2006_03.pdf