Author Topic: Kirgans of Ballymoney  (Read 18572 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kirgans of Ballymoney
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Kirgans of UNSHANAGH UPPER. The following information was recorded about 1909 during an application for a pension. It is an extract from the 1851 census for a Kirgan family of Unshanagh Upper.
John Kirgan age 66
John Kirgan age 30
Michael Kirgan age 25
Catherine Kirgan age 22
Ellen Kirgan age 20
John Kirgan age 16
Catherine Kirgan died 1844
Rose Kirgan died 1849.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline BKirgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey:

Sorry for not getting right back to you. The info you sent was a wealth of info. Very good info I did not have. All that info with the parents and siblings should pertain to my great great grandparents and their children, including my great grandfather. As I mentioned, my great grandfather went by John Kirgan and their was a baptism document that said he was born in June 1866. His gravesite says 1866. Documents state his name to be Michael John Kirgan but he always went by John (just to make things more confusing for people doing ancestry).  You had mentioned there was possibly additional info you might have. I did see somewhere where there were other siblings that were not included in your last txt that included a Neil and Hugh Kirgan. I believe they were older than my great grandfather who again was born in 1866. I greatly appreciate all the info and potential new info you are sending. Lastly, I have talked to another Kirgan cousin in Long Island. He has also received certain info on the Kirgan's from Ireland but until I actually meet him, I am not exactly sure what he has. Thanks again.....

Offline BKirgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Kingskerwell:

Thanks for that info. It would appear that some of the Kirgan's on your list are people I have now determined to be part of my great great grandparents family. There are also additional people that are part of that family or another generation family tied to me. I do not know them yet. That includes the 66 year old John Kirgan and the Rose Kirgan. It's possible they might be my great great great grandparents.....but don't know yet.

You mentioned the 1909 and 1851 document. Can you send me any kind of link to it or can you direct me where I can find it ?  Thanks for all your help.....

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I will send you a Personal Message (PM)

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 18:47 BST (UK) »
Christopher Kirgan
     Birth: 7 Mar.1875 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FG5X-82N
     12 Oct.1903 “Columbia” arrived N.Y. from Londonderry, Ireland: Christopher Kergan, 28, van man, brother Hugh Kirgan 22 City Hall Place NY
     WWI draft reg.- birthdate 7 Mar.1875, wife Katherine
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BKirgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 24 August 15 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys:

I see I see a number of Kirgan's on that one listing that has a Samuel Kirgan and Rose Kirgan. It is possible they were a sibling of Hugh, Michael, Brittany and Joseph Kirgan or a cousin. Rose died in 1849. I wonder if she was possibly another cousin, grandmother, or aunt. Is there anyway of being able to explore that ?  I am right now with a point that Michael Kirgan and Mary Mullan were my great great grandparents. Christopher Kirgan (born in 1828) was Michael's brother. I am trying to find out other brothers and sisters for Michael and possibly his parent which would be my great great great grandparents.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. The help so far has been great. Thanks again....