Author Topic: Pubs on Poole Quay  (Read 5049 times)

Offline LisaLade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Pubs on Poole Quay
« on: Saturday 24 September 05 17:40 BST (UK) »
I have discovered my ancestor John Dibben was a publican and ran a pub called "The Britannia Inn" on Poole Quay in 1861.

Does anybody know if this pub still exists or, if not, where it was?

Thanks,

Lisa Lade
Bedingham - Cambridgeshire
Evans, Walker, Grieve - London
Carter - Hertfordshire & London
Sage - Somerset & Gloucestershire
Lade - Sussex & Kent
Gorham - Suffolk
Bowden - Dorset & Cornwall
Dibben - Dorset

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Pubs on Poole Quay
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 05 09:58 BST (UK) »
I have an awful feeling its just been knocked down and redeveloped,will check with peeps today who will know whats happened, there is a britannia inn in parkstone on britannia rd a suburb of poole ,but thats not your one.
your one was/is the one on the quay very near the NELSON pub.facing out to the harbour.
reagrs chloe
davis,pantell,pearce.hereford<br />barker,hunter,marshall,,berkshire.<br />notting,small,vincent,house,michel,vyvans,tubbs,spearing,burriss,candy,chaldecott,dorset.<br />meyer,grant,heale,pengilly,winget,hawkins,devon.<br />lawes,dyke,drewett,coster,wilts/hants.<br />worwood,whellock,griffith,lee,,card,randall,london/lambeth/rotherhithe ,east wickham.young,tooley,nevil,chipping norton.legg, cheshunt.<br />scott,smither,spencer,taylor, farnham;surrey. halfacre ,hants.

Offline LisaLade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 September 05 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Chloe

Thanks for the info - had a feeling it wasn't there anymore as I have been to Poole quite a few times and I don't remember it - also it's not listed anywhere.

If you could let me know anymore info then I would be grateful.

Cheers,
Lisa
Lade - Sussex & Kent
Gorham - Suffolk
Dibben - Dorset

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 05 08:17 BST (UK) »
hi lisa
peepes i spoke to last night thought it might have become the "poole arms",
dug out 1861 census and found john, his neighbouring pubs were the poole arms on one side and the "portsmouth hoy" on the other side,
presuming the" portsmouth" became the" nelson arms",that places john in the pub between the two.
the nelson and poole arms are still there, so i think your britannia is either the hideous amusement arcade or poole marine centre,if my memory serves me right the last time i was down there[i was drunk] the marine centre still has its old facade and was'nt totally flattened.
you could try writing to SCAPLENS COURT MUSEUM just put poole quay for the address ,that will find it,they are bound to have  a picture of the quay  around that time,its a brilliant little museum and they are very helpful.
hope all this helps
regards chloe
davis,pantell,pearce.hereford<br />barker,hunter,marshall,,berkshire.<br />notting,small,vincent,house,michel,vyvans,tubbs,spearing,burriss,candy,chaldecott,dorset.<br />meyer,grant,heale,pengilly,winget,hawkins,devon.<br />lawes,dyke,drewett,coster,wilts/hants.<br />worwood,whellock,griffith,lee,,card,randall,london/lambeth/rotherhithe ,east wickham.young,tooley,nevil,chipping norton.legg, cheshunt.<br />scott,smither,spencer,taylor, farnham;surrey. halfacre ,hants.

Offline LisaLade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 September 05 15:46 BST (UK) »
Chloe,

Thanks very much for the info again.  I will contact the museum and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Lisa
Lade - Sussex & Kent
Gorham - Suffolk
Dibben - Dorset

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 12:30 BST (UK) »
have found out just this morning in a friends book on old poole, that in 1910 john carter's warehouse on the quay was where the britannia inn was ,thats gone too now and we think it might be the site of the poole tourism office.
QUOTE FROM ANN NORBURY'S BOOK
POOLE QUAY JOHN CARTER'S WAREHOUSE WHICH USED TO BE THE BRITANNIA INN,BETWEEN THE POOLE ARMS AND THE PORTSMOUTH HOY.POOLE POTTERY KILNS ARE ON THE RIGHT.
regards chloe
p.s my friend said she will scan the page for u if  u want to send me your e-mail address in a private message

Offline LisaLade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Chloe

Funny you should send me this message because I found a couple of photos on the net with the Portsmouth Hoy and Poole Arms with a big white building in the middle called John Carter something or another!

The building is still there but obviously is now a shop or something by the looks of it.

I had a feeling that was probably the Britannia.

Don't worry about sending the page to me as I've got these photos and my mother-in-law is visiting Poole next week so will be doing some more investigating for me.

Thanks for everything,

Cheers,
Lisa

Lade - Sussex & Kent
Gorham - Suffolk
Dibben - Dorset

Offline grubheam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi reading your lisa's and chloe's - I live in poole near poole quay - if you need more informations - call Waterfront Museum but I think the roofing have been redesigning at the moment and ask for Pat or David in family history dept. They will be happy to help. They have done surnames indexes on cards. I am sure yours will be found among these millions of cards. Good luck!
Gallop / Gallop of Mid & East Dorset & Bournemouth area
Grubheam of Herefordshire
Luker of Abingdon, Berkshire & Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Dwight of Middlesex & London

Offline LisaLade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 19:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info - I will try the museum.

Cheers,
Lisa
Lade - Sussex & Kent
Gorham - Suffolk
Dibben - Dorset