Author Topic: Pubs on Poole Quay  (Read 5048 times)

Offline georgeuptonpark

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pubs on Poole Quay
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 January 17 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa, just saw this post about the Dibbens on Poole Quay. We own the shop that once was the Britannia Inn and appreciate your thread was quite a few years back. The building was a pub for 30/40 years we believe  after being built around 1849 - we have the deeds here so your relatives, the Dibbens, would have been the first licensees on a thriving quay which is probably why they stayed there so long. Up until a couple of years ago there was a Ms Dibben who never married and was running a shop a stones throw away from our shop. She was well in to her 90s when she died and her shop at one time was a big concern and had been part of large business. Probably a relative of yours, thought you may find this of interest. She has one neice I think here in Poole.

Offline LisaLade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pubs on Poole Quay
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 January 17 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi George,

Thank you for your message.  Looking at the original thread I can't believe my last post was in 2005!  The time goes way too fast.

Anyway, I was really interested to see that you now own the shop that was The Britannia Inn.  I haven't done much on my family history for a few years now as I hit a brick wall with all the lines I was tracing but it was great to hear from you.

My parents used to take me on holiday to Bournemouth every year when I was a child and we always visited Poole as it was my mum's favourite place - she never knew that that was where her family all originated from which is very strange.  We walked up and down the Quay numerous times and never knew!  Our house was full of Poole pottery items and I've even got some items here from the 70s! 

I bet the Ms Dibben you mentioned was probably a distant relative of mine, although there seem to be quite a few Dibbens in Dorset and Hampshire. 

Strange to think that you now run the shop where my ancestors once worked and slept!  If ever I get down to Poole again I will pop in and see you, although I haven't been down there for years but I would love to soon.

If you find out any other information about the Dibbens then please let me know, I would be really grateful.

Thanks again,

Lisa
Bedingham - Cambridgeshire
Evans, Walker, Grieve - London
Carter - Hertfordshire & London
Sage - Somerset & Gloucestershire
Lade - Sussex & Kent
Gorham - Suffolk
Bowden - Dorset & Cornwall
Dibben - Dorset