Author Topic: LARCHER - French Huguenot  (Read 28262 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: LARCHER - French Huguenot
« Reply #18 on: Friday 21 January 11 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hallo, Richarde1979

I am still struggling to link my Larchers to the various Andrew Larchers which have been found.

I have an Andrew LARCHER and his wife Rebecca Judith MARTLEY with seven children born between 1801, living in Worship Street, Spitalfields and working as a silk weaver.

It is quite possible that there is no link with the hatmaker Larchers, but I live in hope!

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 21 January 11 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Philip

Your line I'm fairly certain also goes back to Philip Larcher of La Mothe, Poitou

These are the children I can find for Andrew Larcher and Rebbeca Judith:

Ann Rebecca Larcher    born 28 Nov 1801 baptised 1 Dec 1802 St Matthews Bethnal Green

Esther Larcher       Baptised  2 Sep 1804 St Leonard Shoreditch Adress: Worship Street

Mary Ann Larcher    Baptised 4 May 1806    St Leonard Shoreditch Adress: Worship Street

Elisabeth Larcher     Baptised 4 May 1808     St Leonard Shoreditch Adress: Worship Street

Harriett Larcher        Baptised  23 Jul 1811     St Leonard Shoreditch,  Adress: Worship Street

Andrew Larcher        Baptised 13 May 1813  St Leonard Shoreditch,  Adress: Worship Street

Thomas Mark Larcher    baptised Non-conformist chapel, born 15 Jan 1820 No 1 Gibraltar Gardens, Bethnal Green

The last is the significant one, because, Andrew Larcher the father is still living there, Gibraltar Gardens, on the 1841 Census, seemingly widowed, aged 65, working as a Silk Weaver.

This, through the age, allows him to be identified as the son of John Larcher and his wife Ann, born at New Inn Yard, Shoreditch and baptised 15 Nov 1777.

John and Ann were having children 1764-80, so John's likely birth year would be around 1738-42.

I am therefore sure he is also a son of Andrew Larcher I and Ann Field, as we know they had one son Philip Larcher, baptised at the Anglican Church in Wandsworth, 1735, then a daughter Catherine Larcher in Shoreditch 1744 (NEW INN YARD also their adress !). As a second generation refugee it was quite common for them to use a mix of both Huguenot chapels and the Anglican church, and I believe it's likely in that 9 year gap between these two confirmed children, your John Larcher, and his brother Andrew Larcher II, and likely other children besides, were also born to them and baptised in the Wandsworth Huguenot chapel, the records of which are sadly now lost to us.

Andrew Larcher I, was described as a Felt Hat Maker on his wedding 1735, his fathers trade, but I doubt he continued on that once in East London. He more than likely became a weaver there. The Wandsworth Huguenot community was tiny and very self enclosed by comparison, and it may simply have been there was not enough work for both father and son to ply that trade. In contrast the Silk Weaving trade just over the water employed thousands and was at the very height of it's success in the 1740's, and was dominated by the French refugees at that time, in a way it never would be again before or since. New Inn Yard was on the edge of Shoreditch and more or less in effect part of the adjacent Spitalfields weaving hub, where French was the common language for most.

Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 21 January 11 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Ahh..actually looking at it, his father Philip Larcher, the original refugee died in 1743

He is buried at Wandsworth.

17 May 1743 Phillp Larcher, 68

I think that explains the move. It's too big a coincidence his son then leaves Wandsworth, and his trade, and goes to East End exactly the same time. I think the business died with the father. Perhaps the son simply did not have the same skill, flair or just the capital to continue on his own. Maybe the father left many business debts he was liable for? It would explain why he headed with his wife and children to Shoreditch/Spitalfields to the relative security of the strong French community there and the bouyant weaving trade.
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 21 January 11 17:49 GMT (UK) »
It's going to take me a while to work through all the information you have given, so I probably won't be ready to give a substantive reply until aftyer the weekend, but I have to say

Thankyou     Thankyou     THANKYOU!

for the trouble you have taken to find and post all this information.

Going back to your post of 14 May last year, you wrote that you had not found a marriege between Josue LARCHER and Esther (whose children Moise and Esther were born c1700-1710). Can I suggest that Esther may have been Jewish? Certainly, Moise is a traditional Jewish name.

All the best to you
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 21 January 11 17:58 GMT (UK) »
No problem Philip, my own particular interest is the Huguenot community of London, as so many of my own ancestors sprung from there, so I enjoy helping others and building in some way on my own knowledge of this community.

Josue Larcher I have also found in the pre 1680's records of the Huguenot Temple at La Mothe. There were many Larchers there, where the name is spelt variously as Larcher, Larche, Larchier, L'archer depending seemingly on who was filling out the register on any one day, as the spelling varies on alternate records of the same couples! Which is quite the 'correct' French I do not know.

The Huguenot names can be misleading, as like our own non-conformists here, they were very keen on sourcing names for their children from the Old Testement the 'Jewish' part. This is very unusual amongst the Catholic French who tended to stick with a small set of Saints names. It therefore is one way of spotting a potential Huguenot family, though not an exact science, as Huguenots of course used the saints names too.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 21 January 11 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Just wanted to add I found a record in the French Hospital London for Phillipe Larcher, describing him as of Poitou aged 67, applying to them in June 1740 being "not in a state  to pursue his living" at that time. What exactly they mean by that can only be guessed at, though it was probably simply down to his age. They did not take him in but provided him 'outside assistance" for the period March 6 1741/42, until May 7 1743 when it was noted he had died. (As shown above he was in fact buried at Wandsworth ten days later). This of course confirms that the family were not in a good financial position if he needed charity assistance. It also confirms they were indeed using the French Huguenot Chapel there, as it states he was the Guardian of the Church, the Porter, quite an important position, he would have been a highly respected and trusted member of the community.

Offline NZtabbycat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 21 January 11 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I am so thrilled with all this new information.

In case it helps anybody else here is my part of the tree below.

I believe that Andrew Larcher married Sarah Grafton on the 24 May 1790

Their children were
Andrew 25.2.1791
James 24.5.1795
Sara H (died in infancy) 17.12.1797
Mary Ann 21.4.1799
Cristina 24.5.1801
Elizabeth 25.7.1802
Sarah Rebecca 27.7.1804
Ester 2.7.1806
Louisa Ann 30.6.1811
Louisa married John William Jeffries (18.5.1808 to 21.10.1892)) on 11.6.1837 at St John the Baptist Hoxton.
John was the son of John Jeffries and Isabella Anderson who were married 16.7.1807 at Southwall Christchurch.
The children of John William and Louisa Ann were:-
Harriet (Min)
Fanny
Louise
Henrietta
Frank
Charles Ebenezer 1872
Alice Maud (my gr grandmother) 1.1.1875
Frederick William 3.8.1876
I hope this helps somebody
Avon

Offline carinthiangirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 22 January 11 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Larcher in austrian states - most in Tirol.
phonebook Austria 480 hits: http://www.herold.at/telefonbuch/tirol/larcher/
    * Tirol (384)
    * Salzburg (29)
    * Vorarlberg (23)
    * Wien (16)
    * Steiermark (12)
    * Niederösterreich (9)
    * Oberösterreich (4)
    * Kärnten (2)
    * Burgenland (1)
at tyrolean districts most in Imst: http://www.herold.at/telefonbuch/imst/larcher/
    * Imst (111)
    * Landeck (56)
    * Innsbruck (Stadt) (55)
    * Reutte (43)
    * Innsbruck Land West (35)
    * Innsbruck Land Mitte (30)
    * Innsbruck Land Ost (20)
    * Schwaz (14)
    * Kufstein (8 )
    * Kitzbühel (5)
    * Lienz (4)

phonebook Italy 376 hits - most in South-Tyrol (=province Trento and Bolzano with postalcode 3 at begin): http://www.infobel.com/en/world/Teldir.aspx?Ct=Europe&Co=Italy&Dn=Infobel&url=http://www.infobel.com/italy

Offline Hughesy53

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 24 April 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
I know you posted this message a long time ago, but I have just started looking at my family history, and I certainly have a connection to the Larcher family who were from Bethnall Green. If my research is correct (and I am very new to this malarky) I have an ancestor George Thomas Larcher(bn 31/1/1800); He was a silk worker and lived in Elizabeth St, Bethnall Gn. Did you ever get any further with your research into this family?