Author Topic: Sedgwick  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Sedgie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sedgwick
« on: Tuesday 27 September 05 20:39 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information on Joseph Sedgwick born 1835/1837ish in Yorkshire. I'd especially like a link to who his parents could have been...his dad on the wedding certificate is Thomas Sedgwick, labourer, but I'd also like any links to any of his siblings.
He was married in Guisborough to Jane Ann Todd from Kelloe, born c.1847, daughter of John and Ann Todd.
Joseph moved with his family to Spennymoor in the late 1860's/early 1870's and was killed in a pit accident in Whitworth Pit, aged 32yrs, on 20th November 1872. There's a record of his death in the Durham Mining Museum file.

Jane and Joseph had 5 children, John Thomas (1862 Crakehall), Joseph (1864 North Ormesby), Mary Ann (1866), Isaac (1868) amd Margaret Jane who died in infancy.

Jane Ann went on to marry a Scruton Gommersall shortly after Joseph's death. They had 2 more children, Margaret and Martin.

Sedgie

Offline BSIGGYME

• RootsChat Extra
  • lollipop-people ar not just for christmas
    • View Profile
Re: Sedgwick
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 21:02 BST (UK) »
In the 12 centuries a farmer from #Pateley bridge got laods of people from all over the country asking for work wen thay got the job thay got a croft to live in so the story go's thay ad to change there last name only it didn't mater wat thay were called befor hand so all the family's were called sigsworth siggelsworth sedgsworth sedgwicks and so on I now of 5 families that ar not related to each other living in Middlesbrough. eston. cleveland. So #Pateley bridge is were the names come from  Just thought I'd share this with you thanks for looking it's a lovely place to visit got the world's oldest sweet shop

Offline Sedgie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 August 16 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi BSIGGYME

Thanks for your input!
Can you give me any references so I can read more about this Pateley Bridge connection?
Sounds interesting. Which branch of the Sedgwicks are you on?
Thanks!! x

Offline BSIGGYME

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 August 16 20:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry I'm a sigsworth and iv only just doing bits & pices but the place is lovely  well werth a read about ok

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 August 16 10:10 BST (UK) »
Possible.
Baptism Joseph Sedgwick 4th Oct 1835 Bedale Yorksh.

1841 census Bedale Yorksh.   H0107/1250  folio5  page4

Sedgwick
Thomas      55  ag.lab,
Ann           45
Abigail        9
John          8
Jane          7
JOSEPH      5
Susannah    1          All born in county

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BSIGGYME

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 August 16 21:46 BST (UK) »
hi hanks jacquelineve for stepping in lovely its good wen you av good people who now things :)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 August 16 23:08 BST (UK) »
Sedgwick is my maiden name, and I have traced my particular Sedgwick line back to the village of Tuddhoe in County Durham although my family did cross the river to live in Middlesbrough in the 20th century.  I will check my family tree to see if I can find any connections with your Sedgwicks.

I notice there is mention in this thread  of the name 'Sigsworth' and as far as my family tree is concerned this seems to have been interchangeabe with Sedgwick - or 'Sidgwick' as it is sometimes written.  The family did also at one time spend a generation or two living under the name of 'Shedwick'....  and then there was the Walter Sedgwick who cleared off to Stafford to work and appeared on a census as Sidney Rainbow.  But that's another story!

Interesting that you call yourself 'Sedgie' as that was my name when at school; and both my brothers.  And my eldest brother is still known as Sedge.

Kind regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BSIGGYME

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 August 16 23:40 BST (UK) »
I thank you for your knowledge and update on this im still learning a lot of things so thank you very much  :) keep up the good work av a good weekend

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 August 16 01:21 BST (UK) »
Here's the article for you
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire