Author Topic: Matthew Howard emigrated to Virginia in 1600s  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Howard1961

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Matthew Howard emigrated to Virginia in 1600s
« on: Wednesday 28 September 05 20:17 BST (UK) »
::) I am new to RootsChat so I am hoping there is guidance for me regarding my ancestor, Matthew Howard who came to Virginia sometime prior to 1635 from England.  There are sources that say he was born 1609 in Wardour, Wiltshire, England to John Howard and Elizabeth Lock(e).  Other sources say he may be the son of Thomas Arundel (Howard) and Ann Thoroughgood or Ann Phillipson.  The earliest records in Virginia cite him in a legal proceeding in 1635 so we know he was in America by then.  If Matthew is from John Howard, it is said his grandfather is Robert Howard who married Phillipa Buxton, then Thomas Howard who married Lady Margaret Douglas.  This is the well known Norfolk line of the Howard's.  Any help uncovering Matthew's lineage is most appreciated!!!  Matthew's wife is said to have been Ann Hall.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Howard emigrated to Virginia in 1600s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 September 05 20:48 BST (UK) »
If you do a Google search for "Matthew Howard" Virginia I think you will find your answer comes up on the first sheet.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Howard1961

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 September 05 20:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for pointing me in a direction I can start from on my long journey to solve the mystery...

Offline lowtidecrab

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 17 13:18 BST (UK) »
There is much information to both support and discredit Matthew's parentage.  Sometimes you have to read between the lines.  On the FindAGrave site, one of his descendants is Dr. Nicholas Ferguson Howard, Lumpkin County, GA.  Read this.  My younger self looks amazingly similar to the niece of the current Duke of Norfolk.  Interesting.  I descend through Matthew's son Samuel.