Author Topic: Sherstone - Does this name appear in anyone's family tree?  (Read 8007 times)

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Sherstone - Does this name appear in anyone's family tree?
« on: Monday 16 August 04 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I did some research a while ago for a lady in Canada.I was able to trace her Sherstone family line via Lancashire back to a cluster of villages in South Somerset;Yeovilton,Limington,Tintinhull,Chilthorne Domer,East Coker and Thorne Coffin.When I first had contact with her she told me that Sherstone was a very unusual and uncommon name today and that to the best of her knowledge there were only 3 family members around the world that could possibly carry the name on.
As I researched the family in Somerset I started finding more and more of them and some were big families with lots of sons, in 1871 there were loads of them!So rather than the families getting harder to find the further back I went the opposite was true.Of course it begs the question that with all those sons what happened to them all?
I'd love to know,Mick ???

Amended to place name at beginning for alphabetical sorting - Moderator
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline christine arch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Sherstone - Does this name appear in anyone's family tree?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 February 05 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mickey

I have just started researching my mother's family history - her mother's maiden name was Sherstone.  Her father, Samuel Sherstone was born in Ilchester, Somerset in 1867.  That's as far back as I've got so far, but his birth certificate is on the way, so hopefully I'll get more info then.  Samuel only had 2 daughters, so the name stopped there.  I don't know yet whether he had any brothers to continue the male line/name.  But so far it looks like by the end of the 19th century most Sherstones were girls!

By the way, could your research overlap mine at all?

Best wishes

Christine Arch

Offline M.T.H

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,

Welcome to Rootschat!

How nice to hear from a Sherstone descendent.I'm not related to the family but as I said I did do a lot of research on them and collected all the names and variations across the census returns for South Somerset, in particular the villages mentioned above,so I do hold a lot of info ;)

I am aware of your Samuel and his family and I have them back to 1841.The Sherstone's are an interesting family to research and I don't want to spoil your enjoyment of doing the research by giving you all the details I have (unless you would like me too).

I'm away from home for 2 days,if you have any further questions about the Sherstones,post them here and I will answer them for you as soon as I get back. :)

Best wishes,Mick ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 February 06 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mick,

I have a maternal line of descent from a Sherstone/Shearstone/Sherston family from Limington in Somerset.

Buttonmoon was kind enough to do a lookup for me for the family on the 1841 and 1851 census when I asked over in the Somerset forum:

1851 census - Marston Magna
William Sherstone, 47, agricultural labourer, born Limington, head of household
Jane Shearstone, 50, glover, born Marton Magna, wife
Charlotte A. Sherstone, 17, glover, daughter
Ellen Sherstone, 12, born Marston Magna, daughter
William A. Sherstone, 10, born Marston Magna, son

1841 census - Marston Magna
William Shearstone, 34, agricultural labourer
Jane Shearstone, 35
Charlotte Shearstone, 7
Mary Shearstone, 5
Ellen Shearstone, 3
Alfred Shearstone, 4 months

I'd be very interested if you have any information on this family  :)
Hicks of London, Whall of Stepney/Norwich, Jones of Stoke Newington/Aston on Clun, Wigzell of London, Hare of London, Cook of St Osyth, Finch of Essex, Judd(e) of Winterslow, Langford of Kimbolton/Knighton, Ward of Leominster, Evans of Kimbolton, Bartlett of Dorset, Sherstone/Shearstone of Marston Magna, Hare of London, Britain of Shoreditch/Birmingham, Webb of St Pancras, Genns (James), Braddy of London. Gurman, esp Noah!

Offline M.T.H

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 February 06 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lilirose,

Appologies for the delay in replying,I've been away from home.

Unfortunately I don't have any further details on this particular branch of the Sherstone family beyond those which are posted above, but I do have the details of the other Sherstone families from Limington in 1841.Do you have this info? if not,I will post it for you.I think it highly probable that there is a connection between these families and yours, as Limimgton is a very small village (even smaller in 1841!) The answer will most likely be found in the parish registers which are kept at the Somerset record office in Taunton.

Best wishes,Mick ;)

British Military History

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 February 06 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mick,

yes, details on the other families in the area would be interesting, thank you.

I've been looking at the Somerset Record Office online, but unfortunately it's unlikely I'll be able to make a trip there anytime soon (I live in the middle of Wales with a young child and I don't drive).  Still, maybe one day :)

thanks,
lilirose
Hicks of London, Whall of Stepney/Norwich, Jones of Stoke Newington/Aston on Clun, Wigzell of London, Hare of London, Cook of St Osyth, Finch of Essex, Judd(e) of Winterslow, Langford of Kimbolton/Knighton, Ward of Leominster, Evans of Kimbolton, Bartlett of Dorset, Sherstone/Shearstone of Marston Magna, Hare of London, Britain of Shoreditch/Birmingham, Webb of St Pancras, Genns (James), Braddy of London. Gurman, esp Noah!

Offline M.T.H

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 February 06 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lillirose,

Here you go,unfortunately there is no house number or address listed on the census.

1841 census Limington
HO 107/958  F8  P10.

William Sherstone, 65, Ag.Lab, b.In County
Ann Sherstone, 50, b.In County
Joseph Sherstone, 20, Ag.Lab, b.In County
Mary Sherstone, 10, b.In County

HO 107/958  F7  P8

Job Sherstone, 50, Ag.Lab, b.In County
Hannah Sherstone, 55, b.In County
Ann Sherstone, 10, b.In County

HO 107/958  F7  P7

Edwin Sherstone, 40, Ag.Lab, b.In County
Lucretia Sherstone, 40, b.In County
Esther Sherstone, 7, b.In County
[unreadable] Sherstone, male 84, Ag.Lab, b.In County

The last entry is frustrating as I'm sure that he is the father of Edwin.

Hope this helps,

Mick ;)

British Military History

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 February 06 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mick,
that's great, I'll keep it on file, and when I (hopefully) get to the Records Office I should be able to fit it into the overall picture :D

Offline *MRR*

• My emails are not working currently
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 November 06 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Mick

I've been trawling Somerset references for Shearstone ancestors (and the myriad of spelling variations) and now have a growing number of potential branches.  I've just found your RootChat messages and you mention some of my names/villages.  I wonder if you are able to help me pull them together?  I'm particularly interested in Richard Shearston, a Mariner and later Thatcher of Preston (Plucknett), born Alvington circa 1812 to another Richard (also a Thatcher).  I have yet to locate a baptism to confirm his mother but suspect it could be Kezia (wife of Richard S of Thorn Coffin 1841 census).  Potential siblings include Mary, Caroline and possibly Esther, Isaiah and Susan (among others) who appear in local records.   Richard (the younger) married Sabina Brake (Odcombe 1833) then Mary Bool (Odcombe 1845) after Sabina's death.

Grateful for any assistance
Malcolm (Russia)
Rob(b)ins Shearston and Bull/Bool (Somerset), Hogg (Berwickshire), Shaw (Norfolk/Essex), Mann (Norfolk), Horth, Bates & Broadhurst (Stafford), Houghton Clark and Dear (Bedford), Prior/Pryer,