Author Topic: Sherstone - Does this name appear in anyone's family tree?  (Read 8011 times)

Offline aumarire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Sherstone - Does this name appear in anyone's family tree?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 November 07 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I did some research a while ago for a lady in Canada.I was able to trace her Sherstone family line via Lancashire back to a cluster of villages in South Somerset;Yeovilton,Limington,Tintinhull,Chilthorne Domer,East Coker and Thorne Coffin.When I first had contact with her she told me that Sherstone was a very unusual and uncommon name today and that to the best of her knowledge there were only 3 family members around the world that could possibly carry the name on.
As I researched the family in Somerset I started finding more and more of them and some were big families with lots of sons, in 1871 there were loads of them!So rather than the families getting harder to find the further back I went the opposite was true.Of course it begs the question that with all those sons what happened to them all?
I'd love to know,Mick ???

Amended to place name at beginning for alphabetical sorting - Moderator

Hi Mick,
I would be very interested in the research you mention, that is Sherstone,, I have a Sherston ( note,, no e on the end), family from Somerset, a Thomas Sherston born abt. 1849 who married in Yoevil in 1870 to a lady named  Elizabeth nee R endall, and that family had a number of Sherston children in  Yoevil, before leaving to live in Canada, approx  1874.
Could you possibly reply to me at   frankandlaurie@aumarire.co.nz
Laurie Rands
New Zealand
Adcock - England, New Zealand
Balli -Switzerland, Australia
Caldwell - Australia, New Zealand
Dobbin - Australia, New Zealand
Iremonger -England, New Zealand
Rands - England, Australia, USA
Rendall - England
Whelan - Ireland, New Zealand
White - England, New Zealand
Williamson - Scotland, New Zealand

Offline FamilyMan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 January 12 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I wonder if you have any information on my ancester Susan (Susanah) Sherstone or Shestone or Sharstone (different on various documents) She married my direct ancester William Mark Senior I believe on 28-06-1836 at St. Mary Major church in Ilchester, Somerset. This marriage was witnessed by a Rhoda Shenston (probably another Sherstone ?) just misspelt ?

Any help would be gratly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Richard
Senior - in Dorset, Wiltshire, Hampshire & Somerset 1670 to Date

Best - in Dorset & Hampshire
Trevett - in Dorset
Coffee - in Dorset
McCarthy - in Dorset

Offline racheljoyce

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 January 14 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Just found these messages having traced Sherston/Sherstone family back to Charles born abt 1818 in Thorne Coffin......then lived in Lufton. His line continues through .......but if anyone has any info on Charles (married Mary Taylor), I'd be very grateful.