Author Topic: Armagh Early 1800s  (Read 4657 times)

Offline alisporter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Armagh Early 1800s
« on: Friday 30 September 05 08:58 BST (UK) »
I have traced my great-great-great-grandfather to Loughgilly, Armagh where I believe his father Robert Porter lived at Mount Norris. Looking at the freeholder records at the Public Record Office, I notice that in 1815 properties could be passed on to descendents and Princess Amelia or Prince Leopold. Later in 1824 this became only King George III , Prince of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Bishop Osnaburgh. Was this some kind of land seizure? As it coincides with my ancestors coming to Britain, where they became Sergeants of the Police.

Any comments or advice about where to go for further information (including birth/marriage records) would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Scotland; Porter, Legerwood
Northumberland; Porter, Ogle, Legerwood, Dixon,  Kennedy, Iveson
Cumberland; Laidler
Wales; Evans, Walters, Morgan, Thomas
Somerset; Leigh, Cook
Oxfordshire; Denman
Middx; Chelsea; Benson; Finsbury; Macklin
Nottinghamshire; Perry
Cambridgeshire; Cropley
Berkshire; White

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Armagh Early 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 06 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just read your message. Someone sent me (a very long time ago) some births of my relatives from Co. Armagh and the info came from the Parish Registers of Armagh. Does this help. Hope so.
TAGGART/ HANNA  Donegore and Belfast Co. Antrim.
MAWHINNEY Co. Armagh and Whiteabbey.Co. Antrim
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.

Offline davidP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 06 21:16 GMT (UK) »
No

All land was held either by rich landowners or the crown

The papers you mention are probably lease or tithe documents. They will show the owner of the land and the amount of rent or tithe to be paid. Some show voting records too.

Where George 3rd is mentioned it means the crown are the title holders. Sometimes there is confusion because the land has been sublet

The landholders who arranged to rent large tracts of land and then sublet to poorer (often catholic) tenants were hated by the local population.

When a lease was taken you could name 3 other people who were entitled to farm the land until they died. The land then reverted to the owner. It was common to name your youngest son so that the family could hold on to the land as long as possible. When they died however the family would be forced out and that is probably the reason your ancestors left.

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 06 00:18 GMT (UK) »
That was very interresting David, thanks for taking the time to write it all down.
TAGGART/ HANNA  Donegore and Belfast Co. Antrim.
MAWHINNEY Co. Armagh and Whiteabbey.Co. Antrim
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.