Author Topic: Workhouse records - LOVELL  (Read 7056 times)

Offline Den123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Workhouse records - LOVELL
« on: Friday 30 September 05 12:10 BST (UK) »
This may a little cheeky - specially as it's my first notice but I need to find an Emma Lovell - b in Bedfordshire about 1840 (ish).  Several families have come and been discarded but I would be inter4ested in an Emma Lovell who was in and out of a workhouse.  She had two children (at least)  William George b 1863/4 and Frederick 1864/5.  Frederick died and I know the history of William - it's just his mother I'm interested in at the moment.
So... if anyone could look up workhouse records for me - possibly Wilden... I woould be more than grateful and it would be the end of a 5 year search...
MAny thanks

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Workhouse records - LOVELL
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 September 05 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Den
Welcome to rootschat ;D Have you found her on any censuses? If you have suggest you post that info, it would make it easier for someone to come to your aid if you give as full a picture as possible. Were her two boys illegitimate? Or is Lovell her married name? If so what is her maiden-name? You say she was in and out of a workhouse - how did you come by this info and was it Wilden she was in when you did find her? Hope you succeed in your quest.
Cheers Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Den123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 September 05 13:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Jan
I know William George Lovell b circa 1863/4.  His Bedfordshire Militia records give his age.  In 1881 census he was in Militia and from then on have records of him.

I know he was baptised in Dec 1871 at St Pauls, Bedford - his mother Emma Lovell.  No father. He had a brother who died a dew days after this baptism of smallpox.  They were living at this time at Gravel Lane, Bedford.  William's Militia papers tell me that he has smallpox marks on his face.

William married an Agnes Barrick and on their marriage certificate there is no father given.  I assume then that he was born out of wedlock.

Family rumour is that William was born in a workhouse - that's all I have.  I cannot find any reference to him or Emma prior to the baptism in 1871.

His militia papers say that he was born in St Pauls, Bedford - from that I assume that Emma at least lived there at some point.

I have found a family Samuel and Elizabeth Lovell who had a daughter Emelia - she goes on to describe herself as Emma, Emily in further census returns.  This family were coal merchants but they were rather well off and I doubt whether they would not have provided for Emelia - although she does disappear after 1851 census.

I hope that all this info doesn't put people off!!!!
PLEASE PLEASE help.  She HAS to belong to SOMEONE!!!!

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 September 05 13:51 BST (UK) »
There is this lady

Emma Lovell June qtr 1841 Bedford Vol6 Pg27

but no way of knowing whether she is yours.

When you say you can't find any reference to William prior to his baptism where have you searched? As you probably no FreeBMD or Ancestry only have partial BMD records, try 1837online or similar pay per view site. Also make sure you search a couple of years either side of his supposed birth date (apologies if you know all this :D) Sadly my Ancestry subscription has lapsed so I can't burrow around in the 61 and 71 for these lost souls. Hope someone comes to your aid.
Cheers Jan

PS You could modify your title to a broader Looking for Emma Lovell or something

ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 September 05 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Den

Have you seen this lady in 1881?

Emma Lovell Serv U 59 Housekeeper Domestic born Wilden, Beds  living in South Bersted Sussex

Can't investigate these any further
But in 1871 there is
Emma Levell born 1822 in Beds living in London

In 1861 there is
Emma Lenes born 1824 in Herts living in Beds
She doesn't appear on other censuses so is probably a mistranscription

Cheers Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 September 05 16:33 BST (UK) »
It appears Wilden would have come under Bedford see
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/Bedford/Bedford.shtml

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Den123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 September 05 16:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you.
Believe me no stone has been unturned - that I KNOW of.  Workhouse records are the next thing.
Thank you anyway
Den

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 September 05 18:16 BST (UK) »
Always worth another pair of eyes having a look though ;D I spent ages looking for one of mine in 1851 only to find she'd died in 1849 and her husband had inconsiderately married another Ann >:( It was only when someone here re-presented me with info I already had that I sorted that one out.

Good luck with your quest
Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 September 05 18:50 BST (UK) »
Would sks look up the LOVELL details for Wilden 1851.  The Wilden Emma is 16 & appears on page 11.  Would someone be able to check the 1861 & '71 to find which children she had with her?  She is either in Wilden or Bedford [St Peters]

She never revealed the name of the father - though the authorities would have put pressure on her [from the expense angle].

I think she may be a red herring as she is the mother of James LOVELL who appears on the 1881 in London - she had a baby girl was born & died in the Bedford workhouse [listed as a 'discharge' - such was Victorian data recording].

I have put a couple of Bedfordshire LOVELL trees together but can not sort out this Emma who people ask about. 

I will go back through the workhouse records records again, if necessary [ though they are a nightmare to research mainly because you have to go from document to document where bits are missing - 2 days work]  ::)

Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]