Author Topic: Curraghlehanagh, nr Kilkerrin  (Read 2767 times)

Offline possum_pie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Curraghlehanagh, nr Kilkerrin
« on: Friday 30 September 05 20:07 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me anything about this place??  I can't find it on any map and a search of the internet just brings up a bog of this name.... but my ancestors are recorded living there on the Griffiths valuation.

Any help appreciated!!
WADE, WALSHAW, CAFFREY, HALEY, HEALEY, TYAS, CROPPER, REDFORD, MCCOLL, FRASER, FRAZER

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Curraghlehanagh, nr Kilkerrin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 January 08 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi possum_pie,

There are two villages in the townland of Curraghlehanagh which is two thirds bogland. The Irish name for the place is Currach Liathánach which means Grey Moor. I've not yet found the names of those villages but am having a look for them. It's not easy finding them by googling ... like yourself all I'm getting are references to the bog. Where are the RootsChatters from Co. Galway?

I've sent a bulletin to my musician friends to see if any of them can assist. If I'd spotted your query last week I could have asked a guy I was speaking to on Saturday night. He's from Galway and spends a large amount of time driving three brilliant young musicians from that county around Ireland so they can play their gigs. The guys are in their late teens and doing exceptionally well. 

Christopher

Offline possum_pie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 May 08 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hey thanks... sorry, I've not been checking this board lately... still no further forward though... hoping to go there later this year, as I've heard a local graveyard may be able to shed some light!
WADE, WALSHAW, CAFFREY, HALEY, HEALEY, TYAS, CROPPER, REDFORD, MCCOLL, FRASER, FRAZER

Offline Martin1234

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My name is Martin and I have connections with Curraghlehanagh. I may be able to help with the information you are looking for.

Kind Regards,

Martin.