Author Topic: Duntocher families  (Read 203231 times)

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Duntocher families
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 October 07 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Henry,

Do you by any chance know anything of the Morrison family who were butchers in Duntocher? Maybe the shop was near to that of your GG the baker?

Great that you made a connection to Debbie on you first posting  :)

regards,

Lindsay

MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 October 07 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Henry,
My Mochan's and Hamills are related through marriage.  Do you have any Mochans?
My cousin Deb will no doubt recognise all the other names you have mentioned.
Helen
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline henryhtc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 October 07 12:14 BST (UK) »
hi all  , i will confess i am very new to all this family history  stuff, my daughter loves the tv program who do you think you are , and from that i started digging my dad for info , he's a mine of information and for ever recalling his younger days but i hdnt ever (god forgive me) paid much attention.

the conenction to the hamills is i think marriage or second cousins ...anyone knowing duntocher knows that nearly everyone of the orignal villagers is realted in some way ...i do know if its the same hamills it was hughie and pat ..who was glagow chief constable for awean of years ...i think his wife is a second couysin of the carey's..

but bear with me now ive found this site its mad me more determined to dig and record all the more..

i stumbled across a website called http://www.myheritage.com/
and from it downlaoded an excellent wee program that creates records the family tree...that can be uploaded to the web

well cheers the noo

harry

Offline henryhtc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 October 07 16:32 BST (UK) »
hi again all,

what ive gathered , morrison the butchers shop was on the main street near where the post office used to be , it was johnny morrison snrs shop he was a councillor in the town along time ago and in fact morrison street is apparently named after him...his son johnny took over the running of the shop  and eventually many years later it was bought over by rodgers the butchers , they kept the shop going until a few years ago. my great grandads bakery would have been across the road , where he wooden cafe is now located.

as for the name  mochan , my wife informs me that if its the family mochan that had a janitor tommy  in it she is in fact related on to them through her fathers side , he is a mcmahon but  not from the village originally clydebank.

cheers the noo

harry

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 14 October 07 22:09 BST (UK) »
i started digging my dad for info , he's a mine of information and for ever recalling his younger days but i hdnt ever (god forgive me) paid much attention.

I think most of us are guilty of that!  Oh how I wish I could ask my Mam & Dad some questions now.
Re: Hamill - Hugh Hamill married Annie Mochan, 1890.  They had 10 children, including a Hugh born 1900.  I don't have much info on their children, but more than likely the name Hugh kept popping up.
How are you on Stewarts?  Know many of them?  My Mam used to say "if you threw a stone in Duntocher you're sure to hit a Stewart."  :D
Helen
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline henryhtc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 15 October 07 13:27 BST (UK) »
"How are you on Stewarts?  Know many of them?  My Mam used to say "if you threw a stone in Duntocher you're sure to hit a Stewart." 
Helen

hi helen nowt has changed i can think off at least half a dozen familes with that surname no more than a few strets from hwere i am know.

is there a particular stewart family ..ie a grandad or great grandad or whatever that i can my dad about for you ?

cheers

harry

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Harry,
It's not so much the "passed" Stewarts I'm looking for right now, more the present.  Long story - condensed version - my Mam, Christina (Stewart) Cuthbertson took a photo with her when she visited Duntocher in the 1980's.  The photo was of my Uncle Tommy Stewart & his greyhound(s).  Mam gave it to one of Tommy's sons.  I'd dearly love to have a copy (I grew up with that photo!) and my dear cousin, John Stewart was going to try and track it down for me.  Tragically John passed away last December.  If you know any of Tommy's family - Barney, John, Hugh - could you mention me (and the photo) please?
Helen

Offline henryhtc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 11:06 BST (UK) »
hi helen , i will run what you have said by my dad , he will hopefully point me in the direction of the right stewarts ...since the village is as you know full of them..

im guilty of not knowing the village its people and its hiostory as well as i should given my familys history, my parents moved from duntocher to england back in the late 50's, only returning to live back in duntocher on my fathers retirial......i moved into duntocher 13 years ago,after marrying a local girl as fate would decree.....

anyway i will see what i can find out

cheers

harry

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Harry,
Thanks.  :)
Now that we have got my problems out of the way ... is there anything in particular that you are looking for?  I may not be able to help, but there are some lovely people on this site only too willing to assist.  And my wonderful cousin/mentor - Deb in B.C. - has quite a knowledge bank on all things Duntocher.
Helen