Author Topic: Duntocher families  (Read 203228 times)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
Duntocher families
« on: Saturday 01 October 05 21:21 BST (UK) »
Just an update with the family names I am researching in the Village of Duntocher.  Some surnames I have lots on, others are collateral and I have limited info on.

Can we make a connection?

Coyle
Stewart
Murray
Martin
Cuthbertson
Mochan
Bowie
Kirkwood
Docherty
Morrison
McGrory
McMunigle
Sweeny
Collins
McBride
Gallacher
Linning
Tait
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Duntocher families
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 November 05 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Debbie, I would be interested to know who your Morrisons in Duntocher are please.

thanks,

Lindsay Morrison
MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 November 05 23:46 GMT (UK) »
LOL!!  We are chatting on two threads now.   ;D

My Morrison's are a collateral line, and I don't have a huge amount on them  My cousin Anne is researching them a bit more I think.

Robert Morrison died in 1925, he was married to Margaret McGrory, and they had the following -
Thomas, Mary & Elizabeth.
Margaret remarried to George Stewart.

My other Morrison is a Margaret Morrison that Married John Stewart in Duntocher, again, abt. the year 1925.
I have children for them, but nothing further.

Not too much to go on, sorry! 
Do you recognise any of the names?

Debbie

Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie, yes so we are, hadn't realised until I got the messages.

Thanks for the Morrisons, don't recognise them at the moment but I will have a look for their parents and let you know the outcome.

regards,

Lindsay
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline ron_dem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 February 06 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie: Did your Kirkwoods come from Toll cross, Shetteleston area?
Dempsey, Hampton, Bon(n)ar, Wilson,
Stewart (2) Wilson (2) Barclay, Watson, Meldrum, Brand (2), Kinloch, Nicol, Brown, McNeillis, Gallocher, O'Donnell (2), Harper, Main,  Thomson, Donnelly,

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 February 06 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie, ron_dem's post popped up in my email and reminded me that I hadn't looked up your Morrisons to see if I could find a connection with mine ...

John Stewart and Margaret Morrison married 14th April 1925 at 21, Hope Street, Glasgow by Declaration in presence of Margaret McGrery(??) or Morrison, 41 New Street, Duntocher and Mary Morrison or Hamilton, 5, Victoria Street, Clydebank. Warrant of Sheriff's Substitute of Lanarkshire dated 14th April 1925. The marriage was registered at Blythswood, Glasgow.

John, aged 21 was a Private in the Gordon Highlanders and usual residence was Castle Hill Barracks, Aberdeen. Margaret, aged 18, lived at Ash Tree Place, Old Kilpatrick.

John was the son of William Stewart, Shipyard Labourer, and Flora Stewart m/s Murray. Margaret was the daughter of Alexander Morrison and Mary Morrison m/s Malcolm.

Then I checked the marriage cert of Alexander Morrison and Mary Malcolm to get the parents. Alexander Morrison was the son of Robert Morrison and Fanny Smith, I happen to know that Robert and Fanny were both born in Ireland.

They are NOT my Morrisons but by an amazing coincidence  :) - I am very excited at this - I do know who they belong to because I looked at this family for someone else on rootschat!!

I have sent you a PM with the details and a PM to the other person to tell her to look at this post.

regards,

Lindsay
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 February 06 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Thought it unlikely that we had a connection but I had a look at Robert Morrison and Margaret McGrory (not McGrery as I thought above) also.

On the 30th April, 1920, at 19, Howard Street, Glasgow by Declaration in presence of Angus McDonald, labourer, and Agnes Logan or McDonald, Robert Morrison, aged 23, Ship Rigger's Labourer married Margaret McGrory, aged 18, Threadmill worker by Warrant of Sheriff's Substitute of Lanarkshire dated April 30th, 1920.

Robert lived at 34, New Street, Duntocher and Margaret lived at 16 Old Street Duntocher.  Robert was the son of Thomas Morrison, Rivetter's Holder On, and Jeanie Morrison m/s McReynolds. Margaret was the daughter of Joseph McGrory, Farm Labourer, deceased and Mary McGrory m/s Farren?? deceased.

Also not mine, I didn't look any further but I don't have a single Thomas Morrison in my tree - apart from a very new one born a month ago.  :)

I don't think it is coincidence that Margaret McGrory Morrison witnessed the marriage of John Stewart and Margaret Morrison or that Margaret McGrory Morrison remarried a Stewart - they must be related in some way.

regards,

Lindsay
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline winniep

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 February 06 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindsay

Did as you suggested and checked out this site. The Margaret McGrory is my Grandmother who was Married to Robert Morrison the son of Thomas and Jeannie McReynolds. Robert was my Grandfather who died before my mother was born . He died in March 1925 in Bellahouston Hospital( Which I can find no trace of) and my Mother was born in the November 1925 she had a brother called Thomas and a sister called Mary. My Grandmother then Married George Stewart  this is where the connection with debbie comes in its a small world alright.

Regards
Winniep :)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 February 06 17:07 GMT (UK) »

Ann is that you???

Hi Lindsay

Did as you suggested and checked out this site. The Margaret McGrory is my Grandmother who was Married to Robert Morrison the son of Thomas and Jeannie McReynolds. Robert was my Grandfather who died before my mother was born . He died in March 1925 in Bellahouston Hospital( Which I can find no trace of) and my Mother was born in the November 1925 she had a brother called Thomas and a sister called Mary. My Grandmother then Married George Stewart  this is where the connection with debbie comes in its a small world alright.

Regards
Winniep :)