Author Topic: Duntocher families  (Read 203233 times)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
Re: Duntocher families
« Reply #423 on: Monday 11 December 17 23:36 GMT (UK) »
You're right Helen, I wonder if they match up with Aynn's family? I hope she see's your post  :)
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Aynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 20:18 GMT (UK) »
My Mum was b 1925 her sister Anne was b 1939, their mother was Elizabeth Gallacher, b 1906 Lizzie is the daughter of John and Margaret Gallacher (McAlister). John had a brother named James b 1864 they are the sons of John and Ellen Gallacher (McGinley) who is the son of James and Ann Gallacher (Cunningham).
thank you for your help
Aynn
Gallacher, McAllister, Ballam, Hawksby,  Ireland to Scotland and New Zealand

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry our Gallachers don't match up with yours.  :'( 
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline Aynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 03:43 GMT (UK) »
That is ok: have hit the proverbial  brick wall, but will keep plugging away.
Thank you
Aynn

Gallacher, McAllister, Ballam, Hawksby,  Ireland to Scotland and New Zealand

Offline CrimsonFox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: Sunday 17 December 17 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Legal1 & robc4708,

Just an update to my previous message to you. The amount of dna markers that my Dempsey dna match shares with me had increased to 287,879 markers and the markers my McLean (from Tiree, Scotland) dna match shares with me has increased to 287,476 markers. I also now have a Mertz dna match who shares 289,431 markers with me. I don't know much about their history. Only that it is German and Dutch and from the Rhineland area in Germany. And that their was also a Mertz branch in Poland. I looked online and it says that the Mertz name is from the Roman God of War Mars and that the Mertz name becames Martz when they immigrated to America. Also that Mertz is a variant of Mertens/Martens or Martins. In the interest of time I will list other names that match closely with me that are new matches and the amount of markers they share with me. Maley (probably Mealey, a decendant of Niall of the Nine Hostages) 289,111 markers shared, Gilmore 288,892 markers shared, P. Moore Greer (decended from a Grear) 288,401 markers shared, McGough 288,204 markers shared, Gwinn 288,058 markers shared, Bryant 288,007 markers shared, Doherty (the III, most distant ancestor was from Buncrana, Co. Donegal, Ireland) 287,877 markers shared, Johnson (most distant ancestor was Johnston from Cavan, Ireland) 287,391 markers shared, Shaughnessy 286,573 markers shared, Wilson 285,818 markers shared, Walton 285,481 markers shared, Buchan 285,405 markers shared, Cain 285,012 markers shared, Milligan 284,563 markers shared, Stubley 284,557 markers shared, Clark (Clark ancestor was from Co. Sligo born there in 1700) 284,093 markers shared, Braswell 283,775 markers shared, Malloy 283,760 markers shared, McNutt 283,413 markers shared, Cosby 283,147 markers shared, Robbins 282,749 markers shared, McKee 282,487 markers shared, Campbell 281,829 markers shared, Bryan 281,347 markers shared, Hughes 279,323 markers shared, McClanahan 279,311 markers shared, Halloran 279,041 markers shared, Milliken 278,822 markers shared, Dolan 278,515 markers shared, Carney 277,686 markers shared, Liss 277,649 markers shared, Donnelly 277,639 markers shared, Naughton 277,231 markers shared, Craig 276,300 markers shared, McAnally 276,237 markers shared, Dunbar 275,713 markers shared, Galyean 275,539 markers shared, Campbell 275,036 markers shared, Russell 274,752 markers shared, Williams 273,980 markers shared, Robertson 273,118 markers shared, Glass 271,690 markers shared, Milligan 271,368 markers shared, Mullins  270,912 markers shared, Robertson 269,941 markers shared, Gibb 268,725 markers shared, Larkin 268,424 markers shared, Logan 268,207 markers shared, McQueen 265,897 markers shared, Conway 265,022 markers shared, Patterson 264,492 markers shared, McBride 261,676 markers shared, Daugherty 259,617 markers shared, O'Shaughnessy 259,220 markers shared, Heaney 259,045 markers shared, Morrison 255,950 markers shared, Lennon 255,340 markers shared, McAleer 253,753 markers shared, Laird 252,505 markers shared, Larsson 252,232 markers shared, Dodson 252,207 markers shared, Jack 251,998 markers shared, Sutherland 137,832 markers shared. I also match closely with a Ross (he is a 1st cousin twice removed). My Ross and Sutherland matches may be connected to my McKee dna match and somehow connected to the MacKee/McKee surname. This seems possible, but I haven't confirmed it.

All of these matches that I match with on my BigY dna test from familytreedna.com seem to be classified as carrying the "Niall of the Nine Hostages" marker. I'd like to figure out where my Kelly family originates from and why I have these matches. Also what connection I have to Duntocher, Tiree, Scotland due to a McLean match from Tiree. But I'd also like to know what my Dempsey, Gallagher, Malloy, Doherty, Duffy and McGee matches mean and what connections my Kellys have with them as well. Lastly I'd like to know what my Mertz match means which is my closest BigY dna match. Anyone who knows the history of Mertz in Ireland or Scotland and knows their pedigree, please send it to me in PM. I think Mertz may be a shortened variant of Martin or MacMartin (Clan Martin? or is FitzMartin?), not sure. Hoping to figure out where my Kelly line came from soon. Thanks and Merry Christmas. :)

Gene

Offline CrimsonFox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: Friday 22 December 17 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leagle 1,

Okay sure, will do. I would definitely like to explore connections to see how and why we connect. Please check out my other posts, I have posted other dna information about some of my dna matches.

Gene

Offline PearsonKenneway

• RootsChat Member
  • Wit r horses n trailers we have triumphs & failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: Sunday 23 September 18 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there, my dads is from Duntocher he is one of the Allan’s from Hillend, my gran was Leticia Malloy originally from Letterkenny Ireland.

Just noticed you where looking at duntocher and the name Malloy.
Pearson (Birkenhead / Glasgow )
Steensohn (Norway hammerfest)
Kenneway (Glasgow/ Ireland)
McCargo (Glasgow/ Ireland)
Mcfarlane (Glasgow)
Allan (Duntocher)
Malloy (Duntocher/ inishowen Letterkenny
Glachan Glacken Glackin(Duntocher/ Ireland
Hamill (Duntocher/ Ireland)
Lynch (Duntocher
Montgomery (Glasgow)
Lavelle (Glasgow)
Collins (Birkenhead)
McElhinney (letterkenny)
O’Donnell (Duntocher/ Ireland)
Simpson
Provan
Brogan (Duntocher / Ireland)
Curran (Duntocher/ Ireland)
Robertson (Glas

Offline theostler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: Sunday 02 December 18 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, new to the list.

I am researching the Gallachers in Duntocher.  John Gallacher (b. 1837, Ireland) was my GG Grandfather and Mary Morrow (b. 1843, Ireland) my GG Grandmother.

I have got their marriage document, both death registrations and the birth certificate for their daughter Fanny (my G Grandmother) which confirms the marriage details, all from Scotlands People

The problem I have is with Mary's death certificate.

On all other documents I have John working as a labourer of some sort, but on Mary's death certificate he is listed as a Coal Merchant

On her death certificate, however, her father is listed as William whereas on her marriage certificate he is given as James.  Their is also a discrepancy about her mothers maiden name (death cert has it as Doughall and marriage has it has McDowall), but I am happy to put that down to pronunciation and potential illiteracy (and therefore being unable to spell).

That said, on her death certificate her maiden name is given as Morrow, the death was registered by son Frank (Francis) and they appear to live in New Street.

The 3 positive matches seem to indicate she is the correct Mary (the maiden surname especially), but even allowing for illiteracy, spelling and accent issues, the issue of her father's name is throwing me as is husband John's profession.

Hopefully, I haven't lost everyone here, but was hopeful someone might be able to shed light on this or any other Mary Gallacher (Morrow), or the rest of the family for that matter.

I do have a query regarding the Police Station in Duntocher in 1890's but will create a new post for that as it isn't relevant here. 

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Steven

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: Sunday 02 December 18 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve, Mary Morrow was my great grand aunt, she was the half sister of my great grandmother Catherine Stewart - Mary McDowall was married to Thomas Stewart prior to her marriage with William James Morrow.  My Cousin Deborah Hudon would be able to answer your queries better than I, but she is otherwise occupied at the moment.  I will make sure she is aware of your post.  Regards, Helen
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale