Author Topic: McLure - Sleat, Skye  (Read 74870 times)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
McLure - Sleat, Skye
« on: Saturday 01 October 05 21:30 BST (UK) »
I am interested in any and all McLures (any spelling) on Skye, and in particulaer, the Sleat area.  I have a large database of families, and tons of birth and marriage certificates for McLure's and collateral families in Sleat.

My main line is the descendants of Farquhar McLure and Christina McPherson, both born abt. 1747.
Their Son - Malcolm McLure married Ann Beaton or Bethune in 1801.

If your people are from Sleat, I just might have something on them in my pile of certificates.

Fingers crossed that we can make some connections
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McLure - Sleat, Skye
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 June 06 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Debbie,

My dad was born in Skye, in 1931 and his folks all lived in Ardvasar Village/Calligarry, Sleat,.going back 200 years previous. My dad is Alexander Kennedy, his dad was Malcolm and his Grandad was also Alexander, who was a Merchant in Ardvasar, and owned the village shop. I recall that my dad said the Kennedys married into the MacLures
(and MacIntyres/Macleans/Macdonalds!) and I regularly visit Skye and stay at Janet MacLure's cottage in Calligarry.

I've managed to trace back the Kennedy's to around 1850's when my Gt Grandad Alexander was born, and he had 10 children, the last of whom, my Gt Aunt Isobel, still lives in sheltered accommodation in Broadford, Skye. I've more or less hit a brick wall, as regards going back beyond 1850, and if you have any info in your possession that may shed any further light, I would be most grateful.
Kind regards
McVitie

Kennedys (Skye), MacIntyres (Skye), Macleans (South/North Uist), Macdonalds (Skye/South/North Uist), MacKinnons (Skye), MacInnes (Small Isles), Macraes (Kintail/Harris), Morrisons (Kintail), Buchanans (Skye), Maclures (Skye)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 June 06 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there McVitie,

I have a few Kennedy's in the file, the ones with a McLure connection are as follows - Archie Kennedy born 1817 married Christina McInnes, and his father - also Archie Kennedy born 1780's, married Morgach McLure.

I don't have a Malcolm on file.  However, you should be able to get back to the early 1800's with the Sleat PR's.  They start in abt. 1816.  The 1841census for Ardvasar is on line at -
 http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~relys4u/

Do you have the parents of your Great Grandad Alexander?  Or any of the wives names that married into the family? 
I have a pretty big database of the Sleat families, and I would be happy to check any of your other names.

I haven't met Janet MacLure, I know her son David.  We met the last time Chris & I were over there for a holiday.  We stayed at Homeleigh (post office) in Ardvasar, and had a fabulous holiday.
Deb
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 June 06 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi again McVitie,

I forgot to add - you may want to check the Kennedy entries on http://www.sctbdm.com/ 
I have uploaded a couple, but my good friend Catherine King has uploaded details of quite a few Kennedy BBD's in Sleat to this site.
It's worth a look!

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 June 06 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Debbie,

Thanks for the extra info - I will having a look through this a bit later today - I'm making the most of father's day!!!!

Kind regards
McV
Kennedys (Skye), MacIntyres (Skye), Macleans (South/North Uist), Macdonalds (Skye/South/North Uist), MacKinnons (Skye), MacInnes (Small Isles), Macraes (Kintail/Harris), Morrisons (Kintail), Buchanans (Skye), Maclures (Skye)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 June 06 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
My lot are all from the Sleat and Sasaig areas of Skye - family names of McGillivray, Matheson, Nicolson and Robertson.

I do have an Angus McGillivray who married a Mary McLure in about 1819,  and she then died sometime before 1825, when Angus remarried. They were living in Druiforn Sleat.

Does this ring any bells - would love any info you might have connecting with these families!!
Thanks then!

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 June 06 20:40 BST (UK) »
I do have an Angus McGillivray who married a Mary McLure in about 1819,  and she then died sometime before 1825, when Angus remarried. They were living in Druiforn Sleat.

Hi Kylie B,
I don't have your Mary McLure's marriage to Angus McGillivray.
Who did Angus re-marry after the death of Mary? 

It's a shame that Mary died so early!  No way to find her parents without a death cert., and I have no info from the PR on her birth circa 1800.
Were there any children from the marriage of Angus and Mary?

I have an Angus McGillivray in the file, married to Margaret Campbell - they were also from Drumfearn.  They had at least 2 children, - Christy born abt. 1824 - married Charles McLure
and Donald, born abt. 1827, married Peggy Robertson.

Deb

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 June 06 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb,
I am just in the process of moving house, so don't have everything with me, but interestingly I have
Angus McGillivray marrying a Helen MacDonald c.1825, after Mary McLure's death....

The children from marriage with Mary were I think John and Christy, and then there was a Donald and Margaret born of the marriage to Helen.

And I do have that Christy marrying Charles McLure, and Donald marrying Peggy Robertson!!

Where did you find the marriage to Margaret Campbell? It is so difficult connecting records in Skye because there are so many families with the same names and ages!

Let me know, and I will look up my stuff properly and get in touch again soon!
Cheers
Kylie

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie,

Actually, looking over the sources for this family, there are a couple of discrepancies!

I got the Angus MacGillivray/Marg. Campbell marriage info from a transcript of  Daughter Christy's death cert, dated July 9, 1888 at Drumfearn. 

But also in my notes is this:
(Notes from Catherine King, copied from the Register at Portree Library.)

Christina McClure, died 9/6/1888, at Drumfearn, aged 66 years, w. of Charles McClure (crofter), f: Angus McGillivray, crofter, m: Margaret McClure.

"It is not clear whether Christy's Mother was Margaret Campbell (from transcription of death certificate) or Margaret McClure from the above transcription.  Also, there is a discrepancy on the date of death - June or July of 1888."

There is a possibility that the info on the death cert is incorrect, I haven't seen the original, but the transcript notes that the informant was Christy's Brother - Donald.

Did you get the details of Angus' first marriage to Mary McLure from his death cert?  When your move is over with, I sure would be interested in getting more details from you.
It would appear that these families are one and the same, and that the info regarding Margaret Campbell as being the Mother was not right!

Here is the family of Angus & Helen from the 1841 - all listed under MacGillivray.

Angus 50 Aglab
Helen 35
John 20 boatbuilders app
Christy 15
Donald 13
Mgt 11