Author Topic: McLure - Sleat, Skye  (Read 74859 times)

Offline Rdmclure

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McLure - Sleat, Skye
« Reply #126 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I am looking for Angus Mclure and Annabella Mckenzie who may have left from Culreagh is that on Skye? ,In 1793 and settled in Pei Canada

Offline KNetland

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I own a wooden seaman's chest with a plaque which might be of interest... thought I would share it. 

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Wow, lucky you!  I wish I owned a piece of history like that.  Thanks for posting the photo.
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline Rdmclure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Monday 12 January 15 03:52 GMT (UK) »
I have an Alexander McLure married to Catherine McDonald Mar 1858 , I am told they left Isle of Skye 20 Jul 1858 and settled on Prince Edward Island, Canada
Rod

Offline chan01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
my family are from Sleat and I have traced back from my grandfather Neil Nicolson.
my Rd great grandfather was Lachlan Nicolson(1805) who married Mary Maclure (1813-1904).
Mary's parents were Neil Maclure and Margaret Macgillvary. Neils father was Roderick Maclure 1770 and his father was Farquar Maclure 1747 who married Christina McPherson.
Would love to here from anyone with similar info. xxx
jackie
Campbell, Coyle,, Nicolson MacDonald, Allen. Macintosh, Gallaher,

Offline Lorna Steele

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Friday 28 July 17 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

My great great grandmother was Margaret McClure, born in Sleat, Skye in approximately 1853. 

In the 1901 census, she is listed as living in Dunoon with her husband Colin Hart and their children:  Catherine, Duncan, and Donald.  Additionally, my grandfather, Donald McClure, was listed as living with them, with his age being 4 years old.  It is unclear if he was born in Skye or Dunoon.

I would like to trace my McClure family on Skye and I'm hoping you may have something on my McClure relatives.

Thanks so much,
Lorna

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Thursday 31 August 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
Rdmclure ... Culreagh would be Kylerhea, Glenelg. A lot of McLure history in Glenelg, possibly a separate family from the McClures of Skye though.

Offline Akennedy93

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, I’m a descendant from malcom maclure, he would be my 5th great grandad

Offline riadrobins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Debbie,
I found this thread and joined RootsChat yesterday. This is a shot in the dark, but I am trying to find information on an Angus McDonald (b. abt 1760) and family. I have searched ScotlandsPeople, FindMyPast, MyHeritage, Ancestry, etc., but there is nothing on any member of this family. I read somewhere that the Sleat records prior to 1815 were destroyed which might explain the why. They may have been from Argyllshire, but after doing significant historical digging I think they likely came from Isleornsay, Skye before emigrating to Upper Canada in 1804. In any case, as you indicated you may have some records on people of the area, and perhaps McDonalds, I thought I would give it a try. If this is a no go then I’ll start a new thread.
Angus’ wife is Nancy McLaughlin(b.1764) and sons: Allan(1786), John(1788), Donald(1789), Archibald(1791), Hector(1800), and Neil(1802). I descend from Neil.
Many Thanks,
Adam on V.I.