Author Topic: McLure - Sleat, Skye  (Read 74577 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McLure - Sleat, Skye
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 July 06 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,
This lot are a confusing bunch arn't they!!

OK - On John McG's death certificate in Aust, his parents are listed as Angus McG and Margaret Campbell (informant was his wife Ann Grant). So this would seem to match the info on Christy McClure's death certificate too.....

According to Roy McG (clan researcher) and Clan Donald records, Angus married Helen MacDonald (died circa1819) and then remarried to Mary MacLure.....and this is obviously wrong as Helen was alive and well on the 1841 census!!

Maybe Angus married all 3?? Or perhaps Margaret Campbell was indeed his first wife, and Helen his second, and Mary/Margaret MacLure was in fact Charles MacLure's mother??

???I'm not at all sure where to go from here to clarify this one - any ideas?? Would that info even be on Angus's death certificate? ???

Let me know what you think - determined to sort this lot out!! I love a challenge....luckily ;)
Kylie
PS I have been told that it was not uncommon to shorten just about any name starting with M to Mary at that time....just to add further complication!!

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 July 06 22:12 BST (UK) »
yes, they are a confusing bunch!

I see on familysearch.org  John McG's birth is given as abt. 1819, Sleat, and his marriage to Ann Grant is recorded as Feb. 13, 1846, which would put John age 27.
Both entries are Patron submissions, as opposed to transcripts from the Sleat PR's.

John is the eldest boy on the 1841 census, at age 20, so it would appear that at least John, and Christy were the children of Angus McG and Margaret Campbell. 

The two younger siblings - Donald (age 13 in 1841)  and Margaret (age 11 in 1841) could have been the children of Helen McDonald if her and Angus McG were married in 1825?

I don't have anything further on Margaret, but I know that Donald MacG married Peggy Robertson, Jan 31 1860 at Sleat, again from familysearch.org, (a transcript from the civil register.)  I haven't seen the certificate.

It just might give a history of the many wives of Angus McG on his death certificate.  Do we know if he died in Scotland?  Or did the family all go to Australia?
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 July 06 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie,
we are just home from holidays -  PM me, with your email address, I have about 7 pages worth of info all together in a descendants report on the Angus MacGillivray family. 
Too much to post here!!
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 August 06 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi debbie -
Great to hear from you!

My email address is :

Will look forward to hearing from you
Kylie

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 August 06 18:27 BST (UK) »
I will email the report!

It probably doesn't contain too much new info for you, but every little bit helps when you are on the hunt for a particular family.   :)

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

Since my first reply to you in your post, I found out that my Gt Grandfather, Alexander Kennedy, was born in Sleat in 1855, and whose parents were Donald Kennedy and Mary Maclure.

I don't as yet have any further details of their marriage or birth dates but thought there may well be a connection to your side of the Maclure tree - who knows!

Kind regards

McVitie
Kennedys (Skye), MacIntyres (Skye), Macleans (South/North Uist), Macdonalds (Skye/South/North Uist), MacKinnons (Skye), MacInnes (Small Isles), Macraes (Kintail/Harris), Morrisons (Kintail), Buchanans (Skye), Maclures (Skye)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 September 06 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi McVitie,

Still searching for the connection, although there must be one somewhere!
These are all the children attributed to Donald & Mary on the IGI.  There must have been others???

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

There is a possibility that your Mary McLure is the daughter of  Donald McLure and Cath. McIntyre, born March 6, 1836 at Sleat.  If so, we are definitely connected.   :)
Her death certificate would tell for sure!

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 10:35 BST (UK) »

Hi Debbie,

Thanks so much for the IGI info - I was beginning to have doubts that my Gt Grandad Alexander Kennedy born in 1855 was the wrong family connection, since there is also the same name born in 1856, to an Archibald Kennedy married to Ann. I do believe the names of his brothers/sister are indeed our family line as my dad has heard of a Gt Uncle Niel and Donald.

As for the Maclure connection, her death cert will hold that vital clue!
Kind regards

McVitie

Kennedys (Skye), MacIntyres (Skye), Macleans (South/North Uist), Macdonalds (Skye/South/North Uist), MacKinnons (Skye), MacInnes (Small Isles), Macraes (Kintail/Harris), Morrisons (Kintail), Buchanans (Skye), Maclures (Skye)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 September 06 17:40 BST (UK) »
Let me know how you go on - if she does turn out to be the Mary McLure I suspect she is, I will have a ton of info for you.  :)