Author Topic: 1851 Census Look up - Bull  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Tids54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1851 Census Look up - Bull
« on: Monday 03 October 05 19:48 BST (UK) »
I am searching for William Bull from Finstanton, Cambridge b. abt 1802 with daughter Elizabeth aged about 8/9. Can anyone help please? Any other members of the family with them?

Thanks

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Look up - Bull
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 October 05 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Have you tried this site

http://www.cfhs.org.uk/

It has the index for the 1841 census and 1851 census for the whole of cambridgeshire plus chr from 1801 - 1837 and burials and  a load of other info.

If you then post any ref no. on here  someone can look up the ref on the actual census for. unfortunately I don't have the 1851.  I only have the 1841.

All the best Angela

Offline Tids54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 October 05 21:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Angela. I have looked at the site but I'm not really able to tell which William Bull I am looking for as there are several of similar age. On the 1861 Census he was living in Chatteris but i can't find a William Bull there on the 1851 index on that site.

Thanks anyway.

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 October 05 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Post the details of the 1861 on here and I'll check them out and see if I can locate the family for you ok.

Angela.

Offline Tids54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 October 05 23:03 BST (UK) »
I have him on the 1861 census living in Chatteris next door to Benson's Farm. I have tried but just can't read the address - its C??F Mill. He is there on his own aged 58 as a widow with his daughter Elisabeth aged 18. He has a family called Christmas visiting him. Someone sent me the image but no folio or reference number.

Hope that helps.

Thank you - your help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 October 05 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I have been searching for a William with dau Elizabeth fitting the ages you give but none come close.
William constantly gives Fen stanton as place as birth on the 61, 71, 81  and interestingly Fen stanton is mentioned as Huntingdonshire I wonder if its one of those annoying boarder town on an old map I found Fenstanton is classed as Huntingdonshire.... But it doesn't explain why he isn't with his daughter ither in Doddington or Chatteris.. (the 2 places of birth she gives) I tried the variations of ball, bell, bill and boll but nothing seems to show up... Very strange. I couldn't find any William with dau Elizabeth in the whole of Cambs.

It seems likely that they should be  in Chatteris as they remained there for the next few census. 

~~~~~~~~
Births Dec 1842
~~~~~~~~

BULL  Elizabeth     North Witchford  14 115

North Witchford district covers Chatteris so this looks like the birth record of Elizabeth. If you were to get her birth cert it will let you know her mother and her full name.... Possible that if her mother died after giving birth to her that Elizabeth could have been  with relatives whilst daddy was working...

I know I'm rambling too much... I just don't understand why they wouldn't be on the 1851.

Sorry I can't find them  for you and forgive my ramblings.  I have been searching for any clues that I could and thats the best I could find I'm afraid.

Hope you are able to find out more about your Elizabeth and her father.

All the best Angela.

Offline Tids54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 October 05 23:46 BST (UK) »
Angela....what a little treasure you are ! Thank you so much for taking the time to search on my behalf. I think I will take your advice and order the certificate.....that would tell me her mother's name anyway and I can take it from there.

Thank you again.

Offline MarshallDescendant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, I just came across this post while searching for info about one of my Bull ancestors.  My gr gr. grandmother was Mary Ann Bull born abt. 1808 in Fenstanton, Huntingdonshire.  She married David Preston and lived in North Witchford from 1851 on.  I came across your William while trying to find any of her possible relatives.  I have no idea if they were related but he was the only other Bull on census records of that birth time-frame to also list his birth place as Fenstanton.  I thought I would see if you had any knowledge of your William's parents or siblings names?  I've narrowed Mary Ann's parents down to either a James Bull and Elizabeth Wilkens, or a Henry Bull and Sarah ???

I did find William on the 1851 census living in Doddington, Cambs. with wife Mary and sons George and Robert.  Elizabeth appears to be living in Wimblington with a George and Mary Whaley.  Mary is listed as a school mistress and Elizabeth as a Scholar Boarder.

Hope this is of some help to you, and if you think your William and my Mary Ann might be siblings please contact me.

Jackie
Marshall, Manea, Cambridgeshire