Author Topic: Ballyguin/Turlough/Castlebar/Mohina?  (Read 25098 times)

Offline mazbonks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballyguin/Turlough/Castlebar/Mohina?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Dustfarmer
Just a snippet to add to the Jacob Duke Beckett line, whilst searching the Irish Times online archives (they were free a few months back ) I came across this marriage announcement.

February 13th 1897 at Presbyterian Church Turlough.  Jacob Duke Beckett of Moyhenna to Ethel Charlotte Emily Braithwaite eldest daughter of the late J.H. Braithwaite.

Regards Marian

Offline dustfarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 01:26 BST (UK) »

Hi DympJoyce
I see that we got a comment from moderator.  I have only just found my way here and are
still sussing it all out.  (This will be my 2nd post).  Have to figure out this PM (personal message )business.  Would appreciate any photos, info on these people you might be able to share.

Hi mazbonks
the Irish Times online archive that you say were free a few months back ... are they still
available?  Ethel Charlotte Emily BRAITHWAITE was my great grandfather's sister.

Thanks all
Knott Beckett Braithwaite - Castlebar, Turlough, Mayo
BRAITHWAITE - Rock Ferry, Cheshire & Australia
MITCHELL - London & Australia
MURRAY - Anthony & Harriet (nee RYAN)- Tipperary & Australia
MATTHEWS - Nathaniel Charles & Mary Ann - London & Australia

Offline DympJoyce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Dustfarmer

I took the photos for some other researchers of the Beckett family, so its quite possible you have them already.

But I will gladly send them again to you through email.

Beckett was my maiden name too, but we were RC not Church of Ireland.  However I checked it up for some of these Becketts on their request.

The Becketts owned 3 mills in the area, and the ruins of one still stand near Parke.  Most lived in the Turlough area, but there were some in Spencer Street in Castlebar and a branch in Ballina, the last of who passed away approx 4 years ago.  - Frank Beckett.  In Ballina there are still some areas named after Becketts as they had a big business in the centre of town - Isacc Becketts.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 08:27 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, dustfarmer. After you've made 3 posts you should be able to use PM (personal message) system. A small green scroll will appear under a person's user name and when you click on it a message box will appear, etc. See this setion of the help pages for full explanation:
www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
There is lots of other information in the help pages like posting guidelines and how to use this site:
www.rootschat.com/help/help_index.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mazbonks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hello again Dirtfarmer,
http://www.irishtimes.com/search/index.html
is the link to the Irish times - it is the digital archives which you want to search.  They were free for a period of about 4 weeks earlier this year but you would have to pay to view now I'm afraid. 

My Beckett line is the Isaac Beckett's of Ballina (his sister was my Great Grandmother) but I believe they were all in the Turlough area originally.  My GGGrandfather was Archibald Beckett who married Margaret Bourke and I have read that he came originally 'from the North' but have not as yet been able to discover which county in the North this was so have come to a standstill at the moment. 
Regards Marian

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 15 June 09 20:18 BST (UK) »
(by kind permission of Noel Farrell)

Mayo Roots 1901;
Westport, Fair Green (10)
Beckett  Margaret, Matthew; (publican)

Knockaphunta, Castlebar;
Acton Joseph (Asylum attendant)

Spencer st, Castlebar (3)
Beckett Jane, Nathan, Francis, James. (grocers asst)

1911;
Westport, Altamont st (17)
Beckett Margaret, Matthew;

Castlebar, Curragh;
Beckett Jacob & Ethel; Reginald, Ronald, Francis.

Castlebar, Cloonagh;
Acton Peter, John, Elizabeth;

Castlebar, Market st; (2)
Beckett Francis (shop)

Spencer st (Gurteendrunagh) (23)
Beckett Jane, James;

Offline DympJoyce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 15 June 09 21:36 BST (UK) »
Seanmac

Thanks for that.

Matthew and Margaret from Westport are my Grandfather and his Mother.  The father also Matthew, died in 1888 and originally came from Kilkenny.

Most of the other Becketts in Castlebar are related and are buried in the Turlough Church of Ireland cemeteries. (I have sent photographs to a few of this family)

These are also related to the Ballina branch which one poster here already mentioned, the last of whom, Frank Beckett passed away about 3 years ago.

Offline kwizb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 28 January 10 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone.  I see it's been a little while since the original post by Bee29, but I've been doing a lot of research into this section of the Beckett family and can possibly shed some light.  Open to correction.

Archibald Beckett (b circa 1822, d circa 1891/2) was the eldest of eleven children of Michael and Mary Beckett (or Becket) of Turlough.  He married Margaret Bourke and they had three children: Isaac (1864), Ann Jane (who married a James Acton or Picton) and John (1870).

The Isaac Beckett who moved to NZ I believe was on a different line.  He was the third child (of 13) of James (c 1822) and Elizabeth (nee McAdam c 1828) Beckett.  'NZ Isaac' (1852-1920) married Clara Wheeler and they had six children: James, Letitia, Agnes, Priscilla, Mathilda and Lizzie.

While in NZ, Isaac's nephew William (youngest son of James and Elizabeth's 6th child, William) wrote to him and asked if he could come and visit.  Isaac declined.  But Isaac's daughter Letitia privately wrote to her cousin entreating him to come, which he duly did, and the pair eloped.  They had seven children: Patricia, Evelyn, Neil, and four others (still living).

James (married to Elizabeth McAdam) was the son of Isaac and Mary (possibly Lindrum) Beckett.  He had a brother, Alexander, who married Elizabeth Naylor in 1846.

This older Isaac had a brother, John, born before 1738/9 in Castlebar (died 9 Mar 1824 in Turlough).  John married a Mary Johnson, and they had five children: Nathaniel, James, Alexander, Thomas and Jacob.  Most of this branch ended up at Beckett's Creek, Ontario, Canada.

I have no proof as of yet, but a sneaking suspicion Archibald's father, Michael, may have been a brother of Alexander and James.  There may also have been another brother, Isaac (from whom Jacob Duke Beckett of Spencer Park descends) and another called William.  All unconfirmed speculation I'm afraid, but if you can't prove it, you can't disprove it either  ;D

Offline mazbonks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 29 January 10 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for this new Beckett information Kwizb!  I will be studying it at length, I can however definately confirm that Ann Jane Beckett married James Acton (not Picton) as they are my GGparents.  Ann and James lived in Killadangan nr. Westport where James was the Post master  and their son Robert my Grandfather lived with and was educated by Issac Beckett ( b 1864 Ann Jane's brother) in Ballina.

Regards