Author Topic: Brock - Thurso to Buffalo, NY!  (Read 17492 times)

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Brock - Thurso to Buffalo, NY!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 September 06 21:40 BST (UK) »
This is very exciting! I have been researching this branch of my wife's family for some months now and to hear from a descendant of Robert Thomson Brock is great. Her grandmother is a Brock and is the daughter of Robert's brother John.
I am based in Aberdeen, Scotland where there are many descendants of William Manson Brock still living. I have also, through the internet, made contact with a descendant living in Florida. Between us we have pieced together much of the history of the Brocks originally from Thurso.
I was interested to read about Janet who died in 1935 at age 99. My wife's grandmother told us she thought that she lived until about 100. She was right!
I have much information I would wish to share with you including the fascinating obituary of William Manson Brock which I came across in the local library here.
Perhaps you will be able to help me clear up a mystery! One of the Brock descendants we have been researching is Dorothy Marion Brock, who was the daughter of your grandfathers brother George Thomson Brock. She starred in several silent movies  in the 1920s as a child actress known as Baby Dorothy Brock. We have much information of her including some pictures, but the mystery remains... what became of her. We know that at the age of 11 she was living with her parents in Norwich Drive, Beverly Hills, but after that we have no trace. If you know anything of her story, I would love to hear it. Please feel free to contact me again – I would love to hear from you.
I have (hopefully) managed to attach pic of William Manson Brock from the local newspaper here in 1906.
Thanks for getting in touch!
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 September 06 21:52 BST (UK) »
James, I think I might have some info for you. I am researching on my ancestors, the Brocks, who come from Norfolk. Many ended up in Yarmouth, before dispersing elsewhere. But there is one stray (forgive the term, please) who comes from Scotland, according to the census records, who then lived in Yarmouth. He has always intrigued me. I'd be happy to share my research with you.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline translator

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 September 06 11:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks to this list I have established that my ancestor John Brock, born about 1788 in Caithness and migrated to Great Yarmouth, gave the middle name "Dunnett" to a number of his children. His wife's name was Nichols (married 1808 in Yarmouth), so the Dunnett name could have come from the father's side. The couple are also thought to have lived in Dalkeith in 1811.

If anyone knows of a Brock-Dunnett connection in Caithness, that might be helpful.

James

Offline jann25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 September 06 22:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I know nothing about Dorothy Brock.  Did note on the census from 1930 where she was listed, her father said he was born in Vermont and both he and his wife were listed as actors.  I think some of the family lived in Barre, Vt. but the only one I found in 1910 in Vermont  was 7 years old.  However I did notice a very interesting listing in Buffalo in the 1910 census.  There was a Janet Brock, widow, listed as having 12 children, 9 living, and her two sons--Malcolm 22 and George 20, the latter a stone cutter. The year of immigration was 1901 for all of them but this might just be a mistake if as you wrote she came in 1906.  Wondered if this could have been him and like my other grandmother never became naturalized.

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Brock researchers. I have Brock in my line from Wick. I have made up an excel spread of all Brocks in Caithness I could find. Youre welcome to it to add any other names you have.
Runner

Hello Runner,William Brock - a cooper in Wick - probably the one born 29-7-1785 - was my GG Grandfather. He married Isobel Polson  from Loth Sutherland  in 1822. From this union came  Jean 1822 ; Ann 1826 ; Hugh 1828 ;Isabella 1830 ; Angus ; William 1833 - my G GF ;John 1835 ; Alexander 1837 ; Donald 1839 and Margaret 1844. What made finding these folk challenging was that their name changed to Brooks from around the time of the birth of the youngest two children - perhaps courtesy of the official recording events in the town - who knows? Would love to see your list of Brocks from Wick, Regards Jean     Email ; (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Hardie ,Hislop ,Beattie , Glass , Heslehurst
Sutherland, Riddell,Bowie, Blair , Reid, McIntosh

Purdie , Brooks, Polson, Morrison, Simpson
Murcher ,McAuslan ,Ferrier, Greig

Offline rdbrock52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 May 07 20:50 BST (UK) »
This is GREAT!  I am the greatgrandson of Robert Thomson, I have no memory of Da, as he was called by everyone, but do remember his wife, Mary Ann.  She died when I was about 5 or 6, so that would have been around 1957.  Recently, some of my cousins had decided to look into our background some and came up with some information that I questioned, so I got on the web and started searching.  I was able to track Robert Thomson and family through Ellis Island, backtracked them to Aberdeen and Thurso.  According to the info I gleaned out of the 1871, 1881 and 1891 census' William and Janet did indeed have 12 children, Robert T. falling about in the middle.  The names and approximate birth years I found were:

William - 1861
Simon - 1863
Margaret - 1865
James - 1867
Donald - 1869
Andrew - 1871
Robert - 1873
John - 1877
Janet - 1879
Malcolm - 1882
George - 1890

Robert T had 3 children:

Cecilia - 1904
Robert Alexander and George Henry (twins) -  1906

Robert A had 4 sons:

Robert Everett - 1929
Alan Ernest - 1931
George Alexander - 1937
Bruce Cameron - 1939

George H had 1 daughter - Jean Ann

Cecilia had 2 children -
David
Kathleen

There's much more, but I'll add more later

Offline dparad

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 04:56 BST (UK) »
Hi from Florida,

I grew up in the house at 114 Erb St in Buffalo.  If you have additional information please send me an email at (*).

Thanks,

Doug

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 12:54 BST (UK) »
Little did I know when I started this post the interest it would arouse! I now have much information about the family which isn't on this thread. For example, I now know much of what happened to all of the 12 children of Wm Manson Brock listed above. If anyone wishes to contact me direct, I can perhaps fill in a few blanks!

Thanks again to everyone for the interest!
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline Meggles1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 17:44 BST (UK) »
You looking for Brock's living there now?  There was a couple in my school who were from Halkirk.  Le t me know if you want to trace them