Author Topic: Fairbairns - Ancrum/Morebattle  (Read 1831 times)

Offline N.K.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Fairbairns - Ancrum/Morebattle
« on: Tuesday 04 October 05 14:19 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information about Fairbairns in the Ancrum or Morebattle area.

My great-grandfather Thomas was born in Ancrum in 1860, where his father Alexander was a journeyman miller. His mother was Isabella (nee Currie) - on their marriage certificate it says she is from Longnewton, East Lothian, and she and Alexander married 16th  December 1859.

Isabella's father was Peter Currie and her mother Jane (nee Handyside)
A James Fairbairn and Andrew Currie were also witnesses at their wedding.

Alexander and Isabella had four children born in Roxburghshire - Thomas, Robert (died aged 5), Jane and Alexander. The family then moved to NE England and they then had Isabella, Elizabeth, George, Harriet, and Barbara (found in 1881 census).

[Their son Thomas became a blacksmith who worked in Elgin Dock, Tyneside and subsequently at Easington Colliery. He married Ellen Storey (from Amble).]

Alexander's father was called Thomas and was from the parish of Morebattle.  His mother was Christina (or Christian) Mason and they married c.1836. Alexander was born 17th January 1837.

There is a very strong probability that Christian died just after Alexander was born, and that Thomas remarried, leaving Alexander to be brought up by his grandparents, who were probably Alexander Fairbairn and Isabella (nee Aitchison). In turn it is also possible that this Alexander was  the son of James Fairbairn and Agnes Lindsay, with a brother called Thomas.

Do any of these names overlap with anyone else's family research, or able to help establish the probables for certainties?
Fairbairn, Storey, Currie, McKew (McCue), Reece
Areas: Ancrum, Roxbrughshire, Amble, Northumberland, Sunderland

Offline roynold

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fairbairns - Ancrum/Morebattle
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 October 06 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 I have the same Fairburns in my tree.
My GGFather's mother  was Margret Hannah, who's mother was Isabella Fairburn, and researching the tree, there are the same Fairburns.

Regards,

Jane Wan Douglas Bayne-Carnbee
Adam Hannah-Crail
Thomas Andrews-Port Galsgow
Robert Crombie-Leith
Frank Tredgett-Cambridge
George Phillips_Cambridge

Offline N.K.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fairbairns - Ancrum/Morebattle
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 06 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have tried to send you a personal email via Rootschat - let me know if you haven't received it and I will try again.

Let me know more details and see if we can make some definite matches, although we are Fairbairns, not Fairburns.

N.K.
Fairbairn, Storey, Currie, McKew (McCue), Reece
Areas: Ancrum, Roxbrughshire, Amble, Northumberland, Sunderland