Author Topic: Mary Poole and Thomas Poole, son of Llanrhaidr  (Read 11201 times)

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mary Poole and Thomas Poole, son of Llanrhaidr
« on: Tuesday 04 October 05 14:32 BST (UK) »
Llanrhaidr
Montgomeryshire 1871 Wales

Garden Colleges

Mary Poole Head widow 69?  widow of a painter born in Shropshire

Oswestry
Thoms Poole Son unmarried 47 painter  born in Shropshire Oswestry

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Poole and Thomas Poole, son of Llanrhaidr
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi imison

Could you let us know what it is you want to find out about Mary & Thomas Poole?

I have the 1861 and 1851 Montgomeryshire Census if you would like me to look for them.

Jan

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 21:02 BST (UK) »
Dear Jan

Thank you very much for your kind offer.  I would be most grateful to know if there are any POOLE members there, not just the people above.

My great-grandfather was born in Upton Magna Shropshire but I have never been able to locate his parents.  He was born about 1834, name of JOSEPH POOLE.

I know that Poole is fairly common in Wales, and wonder if any migrated towards Shropshire the neighbouring county.  This may have happened in the case above too.

Again you have my gratitude

IMISON

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi imison

Firstly, have you posted your request on the Shropshire Board as well.  There are plenty of Rootschatters there who have access to the Shropshire census's (or should that be censi ??? :D)

From the 1851 Montgomeryshire Census:

HO107/2497, folio 73, page 10 - Great Cloddias, Kerry

William POOLE 24 year old Farmer of 140 acres, born in Llanbadarn Fawr, Cardiganshire.  Wife Elizabeth age 24, born in Kerry, Montgomeryshire.

2 servants

Another POOLE family also living in Kerry who are most likely related:

HO107/2497, folio 52, page 14 - Penygelli, Kerry

William Poole 54 year old farmer of 83 acres, born Llanbadarn Cardiganshire.  Wife Mary Grismontt Poole age 52, born Llanfair Montgomeryshire.

1 Daughter - Laura Poole age 24, born Llanbadarn, Cardiganshire. 

1 visitor - Catherine Tomley

5 Servants

HO107/2498, folio 613, page 23 -  Clawdd, Guilsfield

Benjamin Poole 43 year old farmer born Meifod, Montgomeryshire and wife Jane age 41, born Llansantffraid, Montgomeryshire.

Children:

Elizabeth age 11, born Oswestry, Salop
Thomas age 8 born Meifod, Montgomeryshire
Benjamin age 7 born          "        "
David age 4 born Guilsfied, Montgomeryshire
Jane age 1 born     "                  "

HO107/2498, folio 116, page 50 -  County Gaol, Montgomery

John Poole 22 year old unmarried Prison, Convicted Misdemena, born Leighton Montgomeryshire

(I hope he isn't one of yours!!!!!!! ;D)

HO107/2498, folio 509, page 19 - Garrig Farm, Buttington

Mary Poole Unmarried farmer age 40 born Buttington Montgomeryshire - and her following relatives:

Sister Jane Evans married age 38 born Buttington
Brother Richard Poole unmarried age 37 born Buttington
Sister Margaret Poole unmarried age 31 born Buttington
Sister Martha Poole unmarried age 30 born Buttington
Nephew George Ford age 3 born Buttington

1 Servant

HP107/2499, folio 532, page 1 - Llandysilio (no property name given

Elizabeth Poole 70 year old Widow, farmer born Llanerfyl, Montgomersyhire and her 2 unmarried daughters:

Margaret age 34, Harriot age 26, both girls born in Llanymynech, Montgomeryshire.

HO107/2499, folio 522, page 4 - Llandysilion (no property name given

John Poole 81 year old widower, Annuitant born Llanymynech Salop, and unmarried daughter age 41 born Oswestry Salop

HO107/2499, folio 463, page 12 - Cefyn Wyfnog, Llansantffraid

Robert Poole Cousin (of 19 year old Jane Savage Head of Household) 6 year old Scholar, born London

That's all the POOLE's that I can find in 1851...........I'll go and search 1861 for you now :D

Jan

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 19:03 BST (UK) »
Dear Lloydy

Thank you very very much for all this wonderful information - it must have taken AGES to find and type up - I am most grateful.

I can't remember if I have posted on the Shropshire board recently - I think I mentioned somewhere about my great-grandfather but not the most recent people.

Thank you again - I'll rectify the situation with the Shropshire board now.

Best wishes and much gratitude

IMISON

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 19:19 BST (UK) »
You are very welcome IMISON :D  Since you read my last post, I have had to edit it to add some more POOLE's that I missed.

I don't mind doing the look ups, in fact I enjoy it.  Helping other people with their family history gives me great pleasure.

Now back to searching the 1861.......... :D

Jan

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 19:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much indeed Jan.  I reckon you are a brilliant researcher.

Imison

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 19:50 BST (UK) »
Awww thanks :-[ :D

There are a lot more POOLE's in the 1861, hope you are ready for them ;D ;D

Here we go:-

1861 Montgomeryshire Census

RG9/4240, folio 59, page 22 - Glanydon, Hamlet of Cefnrhos uchaf, Towyn, Merionethshire

Mary Poole 62 year old widow, Lodging House Keeper born Llanfair, Montgomeryshire and 1 servant

RG9/4249, folio 41, page 9 -  Twll, Townships of Cloddia and Brynllywarch, Kerry

Edward Allen 72 yr old farmer born Berriew, Montgomeryshire, and wife Elizabeth age 67 born Llanwnnog

Children:

George F Allen 36 born Kerry Montgomeryshire
Mary E Poole married 33 born Kerry and her 3 children William A Poole age 8, Mary E Poole age 5 and Laura Ann Poole age 2.  All the grandchildren were born in Kerry, Montgomersyhire.

6 Servants

RG9/4257, folio 38, page 7 - Garreg, Buttington

Sarah Poole 71 yr old widow and daughter Jane Poole 29 yr old dressmaker, unmarried.  Both born in Buttington, Montgomeryshire.

RG9/4257, folio 42, page 16 - Moelygolfa, Buttington

John Poole 39 yr old Sawyer born Buttington Montgomeryshire and wife Jane age 29 born Cardiff Glamorgan.

Children:

Henry age 2, Mary age 1 and Edwin age 1.  All born in Buttington, Montgomeryshire.

RG9/4257, folio 42, page 16 - Dingle Farm, Buttington

Robert Poole 33 yr old Farmer born Buttington, Montgomeryshire and wife Anne age 29, born Stokesay Salop.  Daughter Catherine 3 months born Buttington.

RG94257, folio 41, page 13 - Bryn Farm, Buttington

William Poole grandson age 4, born Buttington.

He is grandson of Thomas and Mary Davies (Let me know if you want the full details of the other family members)

More to follow.......

Jan

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 19:54 BST (UK) »
Dear Jan

Yes please to ANY Poole family member you can find - my grandfather was one of 16 CHILDREN, so there are bound to be lots and lots of Pooles around.

Thank you so much

Imison