Author Topic: 1841 Lancashire Census CDs  (Read 2365 times)

Offline cheap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 Lancashire Census CDs
« on: Tuesday 17 August 04 19:59 BST (UK) »
I have a question about the quality of images on CD sets for the 1841 Lancashire Census.  In particular, I'm interested in hearing from anyone who may own the set produced by S & N British Data Archive. 

I bought the set produced by Stepping Stones Data and have been disappointed to find that large chunks of the census (much of Castleton in Rochdale, for instance) are largely unreadable.  I know that this is due largely to the fact that many of the images on microfilm are quite faded (and I assume the original is too).  But I would be curious to hear whether the images have been enhanced on the S & N set.  (I own the S & N set for 1861 and it's excellent!)

Has anyone used the 1841 Lancashire Census from S & N?

Chad
Heap, Chadwick, Buckley, Fitton, Greenwood, Hartley, Holt, Lodge, Shackleton, Shore, Slaughter, Spencer, Stott, Tattersall, Walkden, Wild, Moncton/Monkton/Monckton, Brewer, Morford, Boxer

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Lancashire Census CDs
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 August 04 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Chad,

I had the same problen with the Yorkshire set,  I have the S&N 1861 Yorkshire Census and it's brill.   I have the 1841 W Riding Census and it's 80% unreadable.   Total waste of money!  It's very faded and extremely hard to read.  I don't know whether this is in the actual copying of the data or it's the actual Census it's self.....then again it is 163 years old.   i'd be a bit faded after all those years  lol
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline skb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Someone sent me a copy of some pages of Pendleton, Salford from the Stepping Stones version. They were so faint - almost blank - completely useless.

I have just looked at the same pages on the S & N version. Some of the entries at the bottom of each page are quite dark but most of the names are perfectly legible.
Byers (Salford & London)
Stringfellow (Salford & Chorley)
Holmes (Manchester & Birmingham)
Goulding/Golden (Birmingham & Lincolnshire)
Bassett (Manchester & Salford, Staffordshire)
Child (Lincolnshire)
Belshaw (Salford)
Hallsworth (Eccles & Salford)
Vernon (Bury & Chapel en le Frith)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 November 04 13:01 GMT (UK) »
 ;) skb,

now you know which company my moneys goes to!
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline zzr-rider9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 November 04 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Are any of these CDs indexed and if so, is it by road, (too much to hope that its the surnames!)
 :)

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 November 04 09:12 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in purchasing the 1861 Lancashire Census CD.

Can anyone tell me how much it cost and the website for S& N

Thanks

dinkey
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline skb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 November 04 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Try www.genealogysupplies.com. The set costs around £50.

If you're prepared to try Ebay (www.ebay.co.uk), there are sometimes people selling the CD's separately for a few pounds each. If you're just interested in a small area of Lancashire, this might be a better bet.

Each CD has an index of sub-districts within registration districts. There are also street indexes, but not sure if these are  only present for major towns and cities.
Byers (Salford & London)
Stringfellow (Salford & Chorley)
Holmes (Manchester & Birmingham)
Goulding/Golden (Birmingham & Lincolnshire)
Bassett (Manchester & Salford, Staffordshire)
Child (Lincolnshire)
Belshaw (Salford)
Hallsworth (Eccles & Salford)
Vernon (Bury & Chapel en le Frith)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information.

As my ancestors moved around such a lot I will be as well getting the full set.

A good idea for a Christmas present I am thinking.

regards

dinkey
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD