Author Topic: Electricians in the early 1900s  (Read 5147 times)

Offline tanwenhaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Electricians in the early 1900s
« on: Wednesday 05 October 05 14:07 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any idea where Electricians learnt their trade in the early 1900s?

My great-grandmother was born circa 1908, on her marriage certificate in 1930 it says her father, Thomas Tuckwell was an Electrician.

This is likely to have been in the London area.
I was hoping there would be some sort of records around for this kind of profession, I daren't assume they were all registered tradesmen as they are today but I was hoping there would be apprenticeship records or similar as this wouldn't have been the most common occupation at the time.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Electricians in the early 1900s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
My greatgrandfather born in 1880s was also an electrician but he was actually a "lampsman" or "overhead linesman" on other documents.
He actually looked after the overhead lines on the tramways in Salford, Manchester.
I think the occupation "electrician" may actually have been more common than you think.
Sorry I can't help with the info you need but just thought I'd let you know that the occupation may be not quite the same as an electrician as we know it,
Regards,
Claudia
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline Headbanger Veron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 generations 1943
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 21:28 BST (UK) »
The Institution of Electrical Engineers was founded in 1871 - their archives at
http://www.iee.org/TheIEE/Research/Archives/ArchivesContents/index.cfm
may be able to help you. My great uncle was a member of some sort before the start of WW1, I have only heard about this and not seen it but apparently someone in our family has his certificate of membership. It looks a pretty useful website, hope you have some success.

Cheers Veron
All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Currently researching:
ABRAHAMS (Essex/Woolwich), CARPENTER (Kent)
CLEMENTS (London), CRADDOCK (Sheerness)
HORTON (Birmingham)
MUNCASTER (Whitehaven then Manchester, Scotland, Suffolk and Canada!)
TANCOCK (Devon/Cornwall),
WILSON (Edinburgh)
among others.....

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 September 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
The City&Guilds Group was founded in 1878 to develop a national system of technical education:

https://www.cityandguildsgroup.com/about-us

tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex