Author Topic: Edward Shelford  (Read 11335 times)

Offline Kilburn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Shelford
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 October 10 14:08 BST (UK) »
For some reason one of those links didn't work: try

http://genforum.genealogy.com/shelford/

and then go down to the 14th post, by 'Christopher' (me, that is)

Offline Kilburn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 October 10 20:46 BST (UK) »
Two things to remember here: the name Shelford sounds fairly mainstream, but it is an extremely rare surname: everyone with the name is related to some degree. Secondly, Great Chesterford  is a tiny place and neighbouring Ickleton and Littlebury the same. Originally the Shelfords had land in the area, and this meant they stayed put: one was obliged to move a few miles to work as a baker, but he came back. Sometime in the 18th Century there was a change of taxation, which meant that it became uneconomic to have a small land holding, and so most smallholders sold up. But after that the landless folk were still tied to the parish, because parishes could refuse to admit new parishioners, and nobody wanted poor people who might become a charge on the parish. So unless they could think of some way of enriching themselves, not always easy in a remote village, they had to stay put.

I think most of the info I gave you, and more besides can be found on the Mormons' site: go to:-

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

and enter Shelford and England and you'll get all the baptism and marriage records. I did use a marriage register and apprentice binding register at the Society of Genealogists, but that's all: the rest of the info comes from the IGI.

There is one early Shelford will in the PCC:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/willsdeathduties.asp

but I have already transcribed that at

http://genforum.genealogy.com/shelford/messages/58.html

There are a lot more Shelford wills in the Essex Record Office and they can be purchased online

Offline Kilburn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 October 10 20:51 BST (UK) »
x

Offline Kilburn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 October 10 20:52 BST (UK) »
y

Offline Kilburn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 October 10 22:04 BST (UK) »
P.S. A very good book on the area nearby and the use of historical records for the period is "The Common stream", which can be obtain for 1p plus postage:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Common-Stream-Foxton-Rowland-Parker/dp/0586082530/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287262878&sr=1-1

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 October 10 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not sure if the following Thaxted Shelfords are of any interest to either of you but noting the remark by Kilburn that the Shelford name is "extremely rare", I thought it worth a mention.

William Shelford married Elizabeth Goodey 21 Oct 1707 at Thaxted.

I found three children baptised at Thaxted:

Elizabeth 14 Dec 1708.
Ann 1 Dec 1710.
James 19 Dec 1714.

Checked through to 1720 no other children found, William died in 1719.

I descend from Elizabeth (jnr) who married into my Thorowgood line.

James married Mary Caton 12 Feb 1737 at Thaxted.

Regards

Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 October 10 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi!  :)

I am working my way through these names now and will take note of the names you mention. I would be surprised if there wasn't a connection. We just need to find it!

Be in touch soon.

Elsie

Offline Kilburn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 October 10 12:42 BST (UK) »
After considerable amount of trying to work out the relationship with the St Kitts family, I have now decided that my original information was wrong.

There were in fact two Edward Shelfords living in Gt Chesterford at the time: they were first cousins. One of them was born in 1796 approx, married Ann Moore, and had a brother in St Kitts.

Another was baptised 19th Feb, 1793 and married Jane Hinkkins (in 1814), then Susan Brooks. He was the the father of Edward and Lucy (by Jane Hinkkins) and Oliver, Jane and William by Susanna Brooks.

Jane Hinkkins- I have not yet found her baptism, but she was presumably the sister of Lucy Hinkkins baptised in Ickleton, Cambridgeshire, and thus the daughter of Thomas Hinkkins and Ruth Cater, who married on the 23rd of October 1784 in Chrishall.

Thomas Hinkkins appears to be the son of another Thomas, who married Mary Hales in 1768 in Ickleton.

Ruth Cater, christened 2nd May 1764 in Chrishall, was the daughter of Arthur Cater and Ruth Chessy, who married on the 21st April 1760 in Chrishall.

Thus we have a family which for a hundred or more years has gone precisely nowhere. All of these parishes nowadays are served by the same vicar!

Offline lyndawn

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 09:11 GMT (UK) »
 :)Hello I am not sure how old this thread is but I am another Shelford from NZ. My g.g.grandfather was Oliver Edward Shelford who came out to NZ with 58th Regiment and married Iritana (the Maori lady mentioned). Then they of course had children here in NZ and I come off of one of these Maria Shelford who married James Robinson then they had Daisy who married Clement COLE and then had my dad Thomas COLE. So there is as said a lot of Shelfords around the world. But isn't it interesting to how we are all related and it would be nice to come to some of the countries. Or to gather at Great Chesterford for a BIG reunion one day!! ::) Wouldn't that be so great... ???
Lyn