Author Topic: 19th Century Prison Records  (Read 4960 times)

Offline BobtheBee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
19th Century Prison Records
« on: Thursday 06 October 05 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where, having found out an ancestor was in prison in 1891, where I can find out why?

He was formerly a Police Constable, and is reputed in the family to have been a drinker and gambler.

Regards

Bob.
Scotland - Blaikie, Carr, Jamieson, Alexander, Chisholm
Nottinghamshire - Smith, Gabb, Simpson, Dyer
Gloucestershire - Gabb, Davies
Norfolk - Nelson
Northumberland/Durham - Davison, Scott
Wales - Shaw
USA - Pratt
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 19th Century Prison Records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 05 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob

I went to the archives this morning and showed them your query and asked what information you would need to find this.

The name would be a start.
Then there were at least 3 quarter session courts, Newark, Mansfield and Nottingham each meeting 4 times a year, so the address of where he lived would help. The date of the court session, offence etc.
Was he in the county or city police force.
What sort of court would he be tried at petty magistrate or criminal court. ie what sort of offence was it.
There were several prisons, Nottm county, Borough, debtors etc. From the census you mention you must have the name of the prison.

They have records for the police. If you know if city or county there are record for officers being admitted to the force and being thrown out after committing crimes so he may star in one of these. This may name the crime and then find the court session from that.

Hope this helps

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BobtheBee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 November 05 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jane,

I wish I'd posted more information now.

His name was William Gabb, b.1851 in Berkeley, Gloucestershire, married to Elizabeth Rudkin in Beeston in 1873, and a Police Constable in Mansfield in 1881. In 1891 Elizabeth is back in Beeston, still Wife and Married but hubby is staying at H.M. Prison, Nottingham North East St Mary-
William Gabb married 38yr old bricklayer born gloucestershire.

So are the archives at the city library or just off Wilford Road (I think) near the castle?

Bob
Scotland - Blaikie, Carr, Jamieson, Alexander, Chisholm
Nottinghamshire - Smith, Gabb, Simpson, Dyer
Gloucestershire - Gabb, Davies
Norfolk - Nelson
Northumberland/Durham - Davison, Scott
Wales - Shaw
USA - Pratt
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 November 05 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob

100yds past the Evening Post offices off Wilford Road. Turn down Wilford Road, left at traffic lights, then immediate left. There is a barrier across the car park which rises automatically. They give you a token to get out.

They are open something like 9-445. Tues till 7.15pm and Saturday till 12.45. The staff are brilliant. You need a drivers licence or some sort of ID to get a readers ticket. You will need a ticket for this sort of research as it involves getting original documents from the store.

If you just wanted parish records etc on microfiche up to about 1900 they are in the open bit where you don't need a ticket.

The prison records are not complete and it will involve getting lots of documents out so it will be quite a lengthy search but if you find what you are looking for well worth it. I'm confident the staff will guide you as they are really helpful. There are contact details on the Notts County Council web site.

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/leisure/archives/visitingarchives.htm

Good luck

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk