Author Topic: First World War "Lord Roberts"  (Read 9585 times)

Offline Matty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: First World War "Lord Roberts"
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 October 04 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Si, 

This is very interesting information that you have given us, and a new twist to the previous info I have had from a web site.  Thanks  Matty
McDermott Yorkshire & Ireland 
McNutt Lancashire &  Donegal Ireland 
McKinly Donegal Ireland
Culbert Donegal Ireland
Richardson Donegal Ireland
Booth,Crompton, Hamer, Jackson, Nuttall, Smith and Ward from Lancashire

"So near and yet so far"

Offline si

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 October 04 21:41 BST (UK) »
 wot site ? id like to look it up im new to this ? dont know my way round yet  thanks si.

Offline Matty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 October 04 08:58 BST (UK) »
Si, the site address is htp://www.pinetreeweb.com/roberts-bio.htm I think that you will find it very interesting

Matty :)
McKinly Donegal Ireland
Culbert Donegal Ireland

"So near and yet so far"

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 05:40 BST (UK) »
matty,lord roberts and his son both won the victoria cross,his son was killed trying to save the guns at colenso during the boer war,his dad field marshal lord roberts won his in the indian mutiny,he died of a chill in ww1 while attending a military funeral,his soldiers always called him "bobs",they adored him,a great soldier,if the bible was signed by him,then its quite valuable,priceless as a family heirloom,he was a very approachable man and wouldnt think twice about signing his autograph for a soldier,he was born in india,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Matty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 June 05 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi manmack, 

Sorry not to have replied before. 

Thank you for the very interesting information although  it was an Uncle of my Mothers that had the Prayer Book it finished up in our family, my sister has it now and I am sure none of us knew of the value of it other than something that meant a lot to our Mother. 

Lord Roberts was obvouisly very well admired and loved by his troops.

Matty

McKinly Donegal Ireland
Culbert Donegal Ireland

"So near and yet so far"

Offline LeggattHVL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 July 05 03:28 BST (UK) »
Dear Matty,

I joined this forum purely on the basis that I saw your post re the Active Service bible you have that is signed by Lord Roberts.

I too have one passed down to me through the family.  The inscription inside the front cover reads "25th August 1914 - I ask you to put your trust in God.  He will watch over you and strengthen you.   You will find in this little Book guidance when you are in health, comfort when you are in sickness and strength when you are in adversity.  Robers F"

I read that he died in November 1914 so this was written quite soon before his death.   I wondered if your inscription read the same and if the date was the same?  And what date is on the front cover of the Bible? 

I look forward to your reply.

Regards
Leggatt
New Zealand (formerly UK)

Offline Matty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 July 05 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Leggatt, 

Welcome to rootchat I am sure that you will find everybody very friendly and helpful, you may even be able to help other people. 

Thank you for the reply it was very interesting.  My sister has the Prayer Book it was given to our Mother by her Uncle.  I must ask her to find it so I can copy out the inscription now that I have so much information on Lord Roberts who was a much loved Commander. 

When I get the inscription I will let you know but it could take some weeks as she does not have the same interest in the Prayer Book as I do (just that it is something that belonged to our Mother) you never know I may be able to persuade her to part with it.   

Enjoy rootschat you will find lots of information and make lots of friends. ;D     

Matty ;D ;D ;D

McKinly Donegal Ireland
Culbert Donegal Ireland

"So near and yet so far"

Offline LeggattHVL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 July 05 10:52 BST (UK) »
Thank  you for your warm welcome Matty and I look forward to any info you can give me on your Prayer Book.

With warm regards
Leggatt

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 July 05 14:35 BST (UK) »

Just an aside -

Lord Roberts and Winston Churchill were the only people -  apart from Royals -  to have a State Funeral in England!

Annie
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I