Author Topic: denholms in east lothian  (Read 45890 times)

Offline Andy D

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: denholms in east lothian
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 07 June 14 15:46 BST (UK) »
#18  My 8th Great Grandfather was James Denholm and he was married to Agnes Hunter.

James Denholm's parents were James Denholm and Jean Nisbit.

Agnes Hunter was the wife of my 5th great grand Uncle

West Cornforth War Memorial
Denholm/ Denham - East Lothian
Denholm - Fife
McKenzie - East Lothian
McKenzie Redcastle, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland
Hudson - County Durham
Hudson - Worcestershire & Staffordshire.
Smart - Worcestershire & Staffordshire.
Sidaway - Worcestershire & Staffordshire
Parry - Worcestershire & Staffordshire
Billingham - Worcestershire & Staffordshire
Dowler - Worcestershire & Staffordshire
Hall  - County Durham and North Yorkshire
Gorst - Liverpool
Gorst - Cheshire Wales

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 03 September 15 23:02 BST (UK) »
I too have a Denholm in my family

Martha  married George Lounon ( Lounton ) Dunbar  26.7.1798

I have the family as Ann
George b 1822 d 22 11 1897 Tweedmouth
and Alexander  b 1837  d 1908 ( could be Ann's son ) looking at the birth date  b Tweedmouth
I do know Ann was the mother of Martha born about 1833 illegitimate .....Martha married James Thompson 1855

Any help on Ann would be great or any others in the family
Elizabeth

McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 01 July 16 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,

Had difficulty finding Martha and Georges marriage, eventually found using Martha Denham (not Denholm) and George Loundton. He was a labourer and both lived in parish of Dunbar.

Found on FreeReg and LDS Familysearch sites. However had no luck finding children of them. I was a bit confused with "Ann was the mother of Martha born about 1833 illegitimate" Are you sure this statement is correct, I didn't think it tied up with the marriage Martha Denham and George Loundton.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 01 July 16 12:07 BST (UK) »
My Martha b 1832-3 is the granddaughter of Martha Denham and George Lounton
their daughter Ann Lounton  b 1812 had an illegitimate child at the age of 20 ish(given to me when I took a visit to Berwick archives )
on Census young Martha lives with her grandparents at Tweedmouth I have found an  Ann Lounton
married to William Bratton of Sunderland m 1838 but not sure if this is my Ann.....Have entered this before on Rootschat

Got Martha's death certificate.. died 20.3.1908 at 4,Albert Street Spittal Berwick upon Tweed she is 75 wife of James Thompson
son present at the death John Thompson ( my grt grandfather )
thanks again
Elizabeth

I have some credits for Scotlandpeople will have a look a for Ann Lounton's birth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline GLITTER123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 08 March 18 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi...
Not sure if anyone still on this thread but just noticed it..

My 6 x ggm was Margaret Denholm married to James Gibson at Coylton, 1773. I didn’t know that she was from Innerwick and her parents names ... James Denholm and Agnes Hunter. Does anyone have any more info about James and Agnes or info about James’ parents James Denholm and Jean Nisbit please ?

Many thanks.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 12 March 18 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glitter123,

Not sure if your query is related to the previous one, however, I can see the banns/marriages called in Ochiltree and Coylton in Ayrshire, and also the baptism in Innerwick that you mention. How do you know it is the same person? Have you got evidence that family moved from East Lothian to Ayrshire?

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Andy D

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 25 July 19 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi...
Not sure if anyone still on this thread but just noticed it..

My 6 x ggm was Margaret Denholm married to James Gibson at Coylton, 1773. I didn’t know that she was from Innerwick and her parents names ... James Denholm and Agnes Hunter. Does anyone have any more info about James and Agnes or info about James’ parents James Denholm and Jean Nisbit please ?

Many thanks.

Regarding Margaret she is my 6 x great aunt, her parents were obviously my 6 x great grandparent,  I have the following on Margaret.  Baptised 15 April 1739 Thorntonloch,Innerwick Parish,Scotland
GRO Reference 711/2 Frame 539 This day James Denholme, Servant to John Davison, Tenant in Thortown and Jane Nisbet his spouse had a daughter baptised Margaret.Witnesses James Nisbet, Mason in Thorntown and Robert Cowan in Thortonmill.

I had Margaret married to David Fortune, on 20 Jan 1764 at Oldhamstocks. Would love to hear your version of Margarets tree,
West Cornforth War Memorial
Denholm/ Denham - East Lothian
Denholm - Fife
McKenzie - East Lothian
McKenzie Redcastle, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland
Hudson - County Durham
Hudson - Worcestershire & Staffordshire.
Smart - Worcestershire & Staffordshire.
Sidaway - Worcestershire & Staffordshire
Parry - Worcestershire & Staffordshire
Billingham - Worcestershire & Staffordshire
Dowler - Worcestershire & Staffordshire
Hall  - County Durham and North Yorkshire
Gorst - Liverpool
Gorst - Cheshire Wales

Offline laudergirl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 04 January 24 23:12 GMT (UK) »
I realise that this is an old thread but I have only just joined the website and may be able to help.  If anyone is still looking for any information on the Denholms of East Lothian or the Borders please contact me.  I have traced the Denholms back to the 1700s and am happy to share any information.  My father was Thomas Denholm from East Linton 1925-2009.