Author Topic: Hildreth needs looking at  (Read 2398 times)

Offline dortmund

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hildreth needs looking at
« on: Thursday 06 October 05 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

can anything be done with this please

trevor
Ethell in Yorkshire & Kent
Gamble in Hemsley & York
Kersley In Sheffield & Winchester
Roberts in Llanwrst & Sheffield
Lill in Boston
Wake in Yorkshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from "http://wwwnationalarachives.gov.uk"

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
Re: Hildreth needs looking at
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 October 05 20:12 BST (UK) »
Can you post the original without the paint work please?
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 October 05 20:48 BST (UK) »
Meldrew,

I would think this is the "original" in as much as this is the picture as it probably came out of the studio when it was originally produced without any extra work done recently. It looks to me like another example of a chromos or crayon portrait like this one (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,68650.0.html) posted by ajbaker back in June.

It's a rather scary looking picture, and I doubt if the studio could have been very good at its job if this was the sort of thing it produced.

Unfortunately I think poor Hildreth has been well and truly obliterated under the painting. I doubt if even she would be able to recognise herself, and the only thing that can probably be done with this picture is to use it as the basis of a sketch..

Here's a quick sketch over the top of her to show roughly what I mean, but the chances that this looks even remotely like her are pretty slim.

Offline Iria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 October 05 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiz

Can i ask you what software you are using as your work is wonderfull..??

regards

Iria
Harold Liverpool and Warwickshire
Slater Liverpool
 Murray Liverpool
Garner  Liverpool
Lister/Lester Liverpool and Cambridgeshire
Norris Liverpool and Ireland

Census Information is Crown Copyright From:
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 October 05 21:10 BST (UK) »
Thankyou, Iria. You're much too generous.

This was done using Paintshop Pro 7 and my new favourite tool, the clone brush. I now use that to the almost total exclusion of every other tool, apart from the Freehand selection tool.

I always work on a 400% enlargement of any picture, and then at the end reduce back to 25% to get the original size. I just select a reasonable sized round clone brush, set opacity to about 50% and then just keep clicking away, backwards and forwards in small movements over the same tiny area which acts to blur all the spots, dots, smudges and marks into a softer, smoother area. Its a LOT of work for a little reward, but over a whole picture it looks quite presentable.

I've been using PSP for so long now that I have difficulty with any other software, but now I've got Photoshop CS, I think I'll try to move over to that. It seems to have much more functionality.

Glen

Offline Iria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 October 05 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiz

Many thanx for the Tips..I've still got a long way to go to produce your wonderfull Pics.. :) I have PSP 8 and still finding it difficult to use..

Regards

iria
Harold Liverpool and Warwickshire
Slater Liverpool
 Murray Liverpool
Garner  Liverpool
Lister/Lester Liverpool and Cambridgeshire
Norris Liverpool and Ireland

Census Information is Crown Copyright From:
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 October 05 22:13 BST (UK) »
Tried colouring it in.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 October 05 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Glen is right, this would have been "touched up" in the studio before it was handed over to the sitter.  Not sure if she would have been particularly pleased with their efforts!!  It looks pretty heavy-handed to me, in fact I've never seen one quite so bad  ;D  and I get to see lots in my job - maybe it was a newbie who had a go!
It's made worse by the fact that the original photo has faded back somewhat, making the overpainting stand out even more.
As usual, Glen is doing a great job on his own so I think I'll leave him to it  :P

Cheers
Prue

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 October 05 00:40 BST (UK) »
The artist in Glen is shining out more than the restorer. I wish I had that talent. Keep going Glen, It's been a sheer pleasure to watch you rebuild these photo's from next to nothing.

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)