Author Topic: An elusive Lewis  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
An elusive Lewis
« on: Thursday 06 October 05 19:46 BST (UK) »

Hi

I wasn't sure where to ask this question because it spans more than one county. I have found bits of information about my gt gt gt aunt, but they don't tie together when I search FreeBMD or request census data.

She was born Margaret Mary Anne W Lewis in Abergavenny, 1856

Her family moved to London, and on the 1871 census, aged 14, she is listed as living with her brother (Edward, occupation: theatrical manager) in Oxford St, St Anne Soho.

In 1881, there is a Margaret Lewis, b. ~1858 Abergavenny, lodging in Liverpool, occupation: actress. (Incidentally, at the same address is a fellow lodger, also an actor, Edwin W. Britton, b. 1855, Cullingworth, Yorkshire.)

Recently discovered family notes say that she married a Hadyn Whittaker (no date or place given) and they had two children - Haydn and Cecily.

I found a marriage for:
Margaret Mary A W Lewis m. Sep qtr 1881 Chester, to Edwin Whittaker

In 1882 there is a birth for a Haydn Bretton Whittaker in Ipswich.

I get the feeling that all these events are linked. I've tried every combination of Margaret, Edwin, Haydn, Britton, Bretton, Cecily, Whittaker - and all the spelling variations I could think of, but can't get any further. Maybe it's all just a series of horrendous coincidences, but some of the names are quite distinctive.

Can anyone help shed any light?

Cheers
Koromo

Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Online AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: An elusive Lewis
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 October 05 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Koromo

Because they were a theatrical family, it would be quite understandable that stage names were used  - which may be completely made-up or a combination of true & made-up -  and appear in some records rather than their birth names.

?........Maybe it went this way:
Margaret M A W Lewis age 24, is lodging with the man she was to shortly marry - Edwin W. BRETTON .

His middle name is probably Whittaker and that is probably his real surname. Edwin is probably an anglicised version of his real Welsh forename and probably, for the times, the English version was more acceptable in his profession.

The marriage is in his real surname but his adopted first name.
His son is named after his real name first & last........?

In Census 1901 Edwin & Margaret are vistors to a family named Scott:
At least it appears your couple did not fudge their ages, even if he mucked about with his name  ;D

Note 1901 Census states Edwin was born in Wales, not Yorkshire.
But Cullingworth appears to be in West Yorkshire.......hmmmm??

Civil parish: Accrington ; Ecclesiatical parish: St James ; County/Island:Lancashire 
Source information: RG13/3860
Registration district: Haslingden  ; Sub-registration district: Accrington 
ED, 31  / Folio: 18  / Page: 28

Head: Walter Scott age 35 (abt 1866)  Snaith, Yorkshire, England; Occ: Hairdresser
Wife: Lavinia Scott age 38 (abt 1863)  Rawcliffe, Yorkshire, England
Son: Cyril A B Scott age 3 (abt 1898)  Accrington, Lancashire, England
Visitor:  Edwin Bretton age 46 (abt 1855)  born Cullingworth, Monmouthshire, Wales , Occ: Act Professional
Visitor: Maggie Bretton age 44 (abt 1857) born  ??, Abergavenny; Occ: Actress Professional
Visitor: Nora Bretton age 5 (abt 1896)  born Manchester, Lancashire, England

This may be Nora's FREEBMD Birth - under her father's real surname:
Births Dec 1896 District: Stockport  8a 31
Whittaker  Nora     

If they are keeping the official births of children under real surname, then there is the following birth also, which may tie in (searched all births for "Surname: Whittaker/ First name: Cec" - this was the only girl result):-
Births Jun 1893 District Manchester  8d 225
Whittaker  Cecilia Hannah     

Probably given you more questions  ;D, but hope it may help!
Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 October 05 08:08 BST (UK) »

Dear Ambly

You've done brilliantly! I was quite sure that they might have been using a mixture of real names and stage names which you have corroborated by finding them in the 1901 census.  It's hard to keep remembering that in those days proving your identity wasn't really possible, or necessary - they probably didn't know themselves what name was written on their birth certificates (my sister in law got a shock in the 1960s when she first needed her birth certificate and discovered she was Janet instead of Janice!)  Also, I wonder how seriously people regarded the census - then, and even now!

Edwin has put down Cullingworth on two censuses now, so I feel he probably was a Yorkshireman - perhaps a census enumerator got bored or confused and put it in Monmouthsire.  Cullingworth sits midway between Keighley and Bradford, and there are a lot of Whitakers up there (and a reasonable number of Brittons/Brettons), but a long search on FreeBMD hasn't brought his name up. I did notice that there are whole years missing from both those districts - by searching on a really prolific name like Smith, the results jumped from Sep 1853 to Sep 1854 to Jun 1856, and other months were obviously very hard to decipher.  Edwin's possible birth falls right in the middle of those missing years.

I guess my next step would be to try and find them on the 1861/1891 census. I can see on the 1861 there are two Edwin Whitakers of the right age, one living in Keighley and one in Bradford, but the 1891 would be more useful.

This family is making me laugh. Margaret's elder brother was a Wesleyan minister who emigrated to NZ where two of his grandsons and a grandson-in-law became Methodist ministers - such a contrast to his sister's profession!  ;D

Thank you so much for searching so far - it's really helped.

Kind regards
Koromo
:)

Online AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 October 05 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Koromo
Good luck with the continued searching!

I meant to mention, I couldn't find the 2 earlier children on the 1901;  I guess by then the boy would be grown up (assuming he lived to adulthood), and Cecilia ?  Hopefully 1891 will shed a light......

Also thinking -   they may have been visiting (Yorkshire born) relatives in 1901, per FREEBMD marriage Walter SCOTT's  wife may have been Lavinia BARKER.
Marriages Mar Qtr 1896 - District: Blackburn  8e 508

Cheers
AMBLY
(PS - it's raining AGAIN in Palmerston North, how about you  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 October 05 09:24 BST (UK) »

Kia ora!   :D ;D

Fancy that!!! LOL!

Heh, I'm true blue kiwi, but currently living up in Cyprus. Can only say that it's fine, sunny, clear, hot - another one of 'those' days in Paradise!!

I'll put out feelers for the 1891 census though could be fun working out which name they'll be using. I considered that the Scotts might have been relatives too - I'll search some more.

Thanks again

Stay dry!
K.
:)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 October 05 10:18 BST (UK) »
I can't find Edwin on the 1891 census but this looks an interesting Whittaker family for you on earlier censuses. You would have to get the marriage certificate in 1881 to prove who Edwin's father actually was.

1861 census RG12 3228 folio 17
Bridgehouse Haworth  Yorkshire   
Simion Whitaker 39 Haworth, Yorkshire, Head Married Worsted spinning overlooker & MLP
Betty Whitaker 41  Haworth, Yorkshire,  Wife Married
Ann Whitaker 17  Haworth, Yorkshire,  Daughter  Cotton & worsted L weaver
Sarah Jane Whitaker 12  Keighley, Yorkshire, Daughter Winder of cotton in factory
Rebecca Whitaker 9  Haworth, Yorkshire,  Daughter   Winder of cotton in factory
Edwin Whitaker 6  Bingley, Yorkshire, Son   
Handel Whitaker 3  Bingley, Yorkshire, Son   

1871 census RG10 4468 folio 33
106 Preston Street Horton  Yorkshire   
Simeon Whitaker 49 Haworth, Yorkshire, Head Married General Dealer in stuff Wesleyan  ? Preacher
Betty Whitaker 51 Haworth, Yorkshire, Wife  Married
Ann Whitaker 27  Haworth, Yorkshire, Daughter   
Sarah J Whitaker 23  Keighley, Yorkshire, Daughter  Worsted Weaver
Rebecca Whitaker 19  Raworth, Yorkshire,  Daughter  Worsted weaver
Edwin Whitaker 16  Bingley, Yorkshire, Son    Assistant to father
Handle Whitaker 13  Bingley, Yorkshire, Son  Assistant to father
Hayden P Whitaker 8 Bingley, Yorkshire,
Annie Whitaker 3 Bingley, Yorkshire, Granddaughter

1881 census RG11 4461 folio 114
289 Rock Terrace, Manningham, Yorkshire
Simeon Whitaker 59 Oxenhope Haworth Head  Married Stuff Merchant (Dir)
Betty Whitaker 61  Oxenhope Haworth Wife  Married
Sarah J. Whitaker 37  Oakworth Keighley Daughter
Ann Whitaker 32  Oxenhope Haworth Daughter 
Handel Whitaker 23  Cullingworth Bingley Son  Commercial Traveller
Haydon P. Whitaker 18  Cullingworth Bingley Son Timber Merchant
Annie Whitaker 13 Bford Granddaughter   

Regards
Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 October 05 14:55 BST (UK) »

Oh no! Not another Wesleyan minister!!!! :D :D

Valda, that family looks SO promising, particularly as Edwin is not there in 1881 - perhaps he really was in Manchester as Edwin W. Britton - it's such a tempting thought. Clearly a musical family too, with names like Handel and Haydn ... well, spelt a bit differently!

Does the Edwin and Maggie (Margaret) Bretton family that Ambly found exist on the 1891 census?

Of course I could be maligning the acting profession in my earlier post. Maybe they were acting in morality plays and other such good works.

Yes, I do need that marriage certificate to verify names, but thanks for finding the Whitakers. :)

Cheers
Koromo

Offline johal52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 December 17 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I know that this thread ended a long while ago but if you are interested, and didn't know, I came across a headstone for a "Margaret Whitaker, nee Lewis, born at Abergavenny 9th September 1856, died at Waterford 5th September 1927 whilst on tour with her husband in the musical comedy Balkan Princess." That was the inscription on the headstone in Johns Hill Cemetery, Waterford. I was curious about her as the inscription was unusual and found your thread. Hope you are still around and that it helps.