Author Topic: Marriage look up request - BOOTH / JAMIESON  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Treemaker

• I am sorry my email and website are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Genealogists don't die.They just lose their census
    • View Profile
Marriage look up request - BOOTH / JAMIESON
« on: Friday 07 October 05 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hello list,

I have the following entry from the IGI that I could do with the full details from the marriage entry if at all possible:

Thomas BOOTH    Sex:  M 
Marriage(s):  Spouse:  Betty JAMIESON 
Marriage:  11 Dec 1814    Wilton, Roxburgh, Scotland 

I think that Thomas BOOTH was my 4 x great grandfather, but he was from Halifax, Yorkshire. I am trying to piece together why he should leave to get married in Scotland. He later appears in Census records back in Yorkshire with a wife called "Betty" who was born in Scotland, so I am stabbing in the dark as to this being the correct marriage.

I wondered if the original record would give me any further clues.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Martin
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Ormondroyd - North Bierley, Harwood - Leeds, Hilton - Lancashire, Hunt - Kidderminster, Ackroyd - Liversedge, Hooson - Cleckheaton/Halifax, Ashworth - Liversedge, Grainger - Hartwith, Ellis - Cleckheaton/Halifax, Hutchinson - East Ayton, Asquith - Liversedge, Denton - Leeds, Clegg - Cleckheaton, Prince - Leeds & Firth - Liversedge

Offline lesley084

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look up request - BOOTH / JAMIESON
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 October 05 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 Did a search on Scotlands people for you, but could find no record of a betty Jamieson marriage or thomas Booth for wilton for the year you specified.
 I have done searches for myself in the past  to double check info from IGI and not found the relivent records don't know how or why this happens is the IGI wrong or are records missing from Scotlands people?

Regards Lesley
amos,scott, armstrong, hume.

Offline Treemaker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 October 05 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

Many thanks for taking the time to look for these people, although it is a strange situation that they are not recorded! I wonder where the problem lies?

Best wishes
Martin
Ormondroyd - North Bierley, Harwood - Leeds, Hilton - Lancashire, Hunt - Kidderminster, Ackroyd - Liversedge, Hooson - Cleckheaton/Halifax, Ashworth - Liversedge, Grainger - Hartwith, Ellis - Cleckheaton/Halifax, Hutchinson - East Ayton, Asquith - Liversedge, Denton - Leeds, Clegg - Cleckheaton, Prince - Leeds & Firth - Liversedge

Offline lesley084

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 October 05 21:29 BST (UK) »
I wish I Knew the answer to that one. I know that my Grandfather was born in Castleton Dec 1904 and I can't find a record of that on Scotlands people! I also have an Annie Scott whom I'm sure was born in canonbie and I can't find that one either.

Lesley

Offline Treemaker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 October 05 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

This has got me scratching my head (I've got splinters in my fingers to prove it!). I wasn't aware of the "scotlands people" website until you mentioned it, so I have sent them an email asking why this strange situation exists. I will keep you posted with any reply I get.

Regards
Martin

Offline lesley084

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 October 05 10:17 BST (UK) »
I have posted a notice on Genes Reunited to see if anyone else has had the same problem will let you know if I get any replies.

Lesley

Offline Treemaker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 October 05 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hello again Lesley,

Just to update you I have had this reply from my email to Scotlands People:

"That record is on our site. The image however is not as it is an OPR  but none of the OPR's images are available online yet.

There have been occasions in the past when the IGI index does not match with our own original records but this is usually because the dates have been transposed on the IGI.

For your own information the record is :

11/12/1814 BOOTH THOMAS BETTY JAMIESON/FR524 M WILTON 810/00 0005

I hope this helps

Regards

Alison

ScotlandsPeople"

I'm not quite sure what OPR's are...something Parish Registers? I've never come across the site before so it's all new to me. Maybe it might mean somthing to you?

Offline lesley084

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 October 05 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi went back to have a look tonight and yes it was there i feel a right twit but i promise it wasn't there when i looked the other night.
I have sent of for a certificate for myself so will let you know how much info you get of the certificate.

Regards Lesley

Offline Treemaker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 October 05 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

Thank you. I'll look forward to seeing what info is available

Regards
Martin