Author Topic: Place of residence? any ideas.  (Read 1706 times)

Offline IOW Maiden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Place of residence? any ideas.
« on: Friday 07 October 05 23:52 BST (UK) »
 :) :)Hello all,
last week I posted for a lookup at Llansilin in the 1841 or 1851 census, I can only presume that nobody could find any of the following family as I had no replys.

John Hanmer
Ann Hanmer wife
Thomas Hanmer 1823 Llansilin,
(married Margaret Roberts Llansilin in 1847)
Edward Hanmer 1825 Llansilin unmarried in 1881
Eleanor Hanmer 1827 Llansilin 
(married Richard Edwards 1860)
Walter Hanmer 1829 Llansilin
Ann Hanmer 1831 Llansilin,

I had presumed that Thomas Hanmer's family may still have been in Llansilin.

When Thomas Hanmer married Margaret Roberts on the 25th September 1847 at Llansilin Parish Church, Margaret was resident at Llansilin and her father was Edward Roberts - labourer, Thomas Hanmer was resident at what seems an illegible place and his father was John Hanmer - labourer

the place name looks like the following according to my mother as she has a copy of the original marriage certificate, some of the letters are not clear and she told me of the possible combinations, for anyone local or who knows the area they may recognise it

T/I/Sychta/opc/i    all one word ,my only possible find on a map that in any way resembled it was Sychtyn but it was miles away from Llansilin, a possible clue is that Thomas was a Miner in the 1861 census and so may have been resident in a mining village.

I hope someone can help. PLEASE!!!!!!!!! :) :)
All Lock/e's Isle of Wight
Hobbs, Brown, Jacobs and Payne,Isle of Wight
Haynes,Sharp,Moisey,Wood,Blackburn and Earnshaw in West Yorkshire
Denham and Claughton Leeds
Hanmer in Ruabon and Llansilin Wales,St Martins Shropshire,Durham,South and West Yorkshire.
Cox and Holmes Birmingham

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Place of residence? any ideas.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 October 05 00:39 BST (UK) »
I have ancestors from Llansilin and Selattyn (Shropshire) (5 miles apart).
Could your placename possibly be Selattyn ?

Are you able to post an image of the placename as written on the certificate ?

Offline IOW Maiden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Place of residence? any ideas.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 October 05 01:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks SS
not sure about the place at all, Thomas usually gave his birthplace as 1823 Llansilin and Margaret as well in the 61 and 81 census but his children were born in various places according to differant census.
 In 1861 all were listed as being born in St Martins even the parents, confusing but using that and the 1871 census which seems to give a more accurate birth place for the children still at home I have been able to work out they had the following children.
John Hanmer 1848 St Martins Shropshire
Edward Hanmer 1850 Llansilin
Richard Hanmer 1853 Llangollen
Ann Hanmer 1856 St Martins
Thomas Hanmer 1859 Whittington Shropshire
Sarah Jane Hanmer 1862 St Martins
Charles 1865 St Martins

It seems this family went back and forth across the border.

Sorry I cannot post an image as I don't have the means plus my mother lives 300 miles away with the copy, quite surprised when she got it back as all previous certificates she had bought were typed, perhaps they couldn't work it out either.Thanks again.

PS. I have looked into what I can on line of the Hanmer family in Wales and Shropshire and know there was some controversy with one of the lines, but mine must have lost their money long before if they were miners and I do know there were earlier Hanmer's at Sellatyn.

But I need to really know where Thomas Hanmer's father John Hanmer was born before I can go further.
Regards IOW. 
All Lock/e's Isle of Wight
Hobbs, Brown, Jacobs and Payne,Isle of Wight
Haynes,Sharp,Moisey,Wood,Blackburn and Earnshaw in West Yorkshire
Denham and Claughton Leeds
Hanmer in Ruabon and Llansilin Wales,St Martins Shropshire,Durham,South and West Yorkshire.
Cox and Holmes Birmingham