Author Topic: RAF Haydock  (Read 165246 times)

Offline Greyhound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
RAF Haydock
« on: Saturday 08 October 05 05:09 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on RAF Haydock near St.Helen's ( now demolished), i do know this was a signals  base with no runway. Any photo's would be very much appreciated

regards
Greyhound.

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Haydock
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 October 05 20:24 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Greyhound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 18:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks very much for the site, I am finding it very hard finding any info on RAF Haydock a camp full of secracy I believe, In the two bottom photo's the houses behind still stand, in fact its the only bit of the camp still standing. I do know the camp held a rememberance day every year outside the Haydock Library until its closer in 1971 and have you heard of the Spiders wed club which was on site?

Regards
Greyhound 8)

Offline jimbo737

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 October 05 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

The website address you were given is mine. Someone contacted me regarding this station but when I tried to reply, the E-mail address came back as invalid.

I was stationed at R.A.F. Haydock twice. 1964-65 and 1968-69. It was also known as North West Communications Centre. I had the "priviledge" of supervising the last ever night shift there.

The photos were taken in the back garden of a house in Avery Square, and the AOC's parade was on the road with the Medical Centre on one side, and the building containing the Sgt's Mess/ Airmen's Mess and Spiders Web Club on the other.

I'm curious as to why you would think of it as a camp full of secrecy? I remember it as a camp full of happiness and humour, especially my first stint there 64-65.

If I can help please ask, but first please advise me as to why you want the information.

Kind regards,

Jimbo737

Offline Greyhound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 October 05 17:57 BST (UK) »
Jimbo,
thanks you very much for your reply, It was much appreciated. The reason I want the info is, I live in Haydock not very far away from were RAF Haydock was situated.I am doing some research into the history of Haydock and info on the camp seems to be hard to come by and this is why I think the camp was full of secrecy ( cannot find much info ).
I do have a friend who lives in Avery road but this is all that is left of the camp, new development has been built all over the site. I do have two black and white cutting titled The wartime camp of Mystery ( with photo) and Secret role of Hush Hush air base if you are interested I will forward these to you.

I would be more than grateful for any info or memories of RAF Haydock you have or photo's if this is not to much to ask for my research, this info is only for my own interest
and will go no further.

Best regards
Greyhound

Offline jimbo737

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 October 05 23:19 BST (UK) »
Greyhound,
RAF Haydock was my first "home" posting. I joined the R.A.F. in 1962 and was sent to Aden straight after trade training, arriving at Haydock in September 1964.

It was indeed a Signals Centre, being also known as NORTH WEST COMMUNICATIONS CENTRE. By its very nature it would have to be 'hush hush' but no more so than any other station I suppose.

www.servicepals.com has 5 photos of Haydock, three of people in the Officer's Mess, my AOC's photo and another of a parade. I think you can log on as a guest, then just do a search on "Haydock".

I lived in private accommodation in Grosvenor Road, St Helens for a few months in 1964 and was amazed at the attitude of the locals when I took the bus in to St Helens, and then another one on to Haydock. They all seemed to think we lived rent and tax free on the camp. Boy were they wrong and they seemed utterly amazed when I told them so.

We held a dance on a Thursday evening which was open to civilians and was extremely popular. It was held in the NAAFI (Spiders Web club), which was, by its very nature, a popular meeting place after work.

I'm not sure if there is much more I can tell you, if you ask specific questions I will endevour to answer them.

Haydock holds many happy memories for me, and some sad also. A young lad came on to my shift straight out of the Boy Entrants so I took him under my wing and showed him the ropes. He later went to Aden and was shot dead.

A friend from my Haydock days in 1964/65 had a surprise 60th birthday party last year in Yorkshire and a table was organised for him and his ex-RAF buddies and their wifes. Most of us were from his Haydock days and we had a lovely time reminicing about the old days.

Happy days which seem like a lifetime ago now!

Jimbo

Offline Greyhound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 October 05 17:28 BST (UK) »
Jimbo,
once again thanks for the reply it was very interesting. I will give the web site you sent a go, two photo's I am really after are, the guard room which as a young boy I can just remember on the right as you walked up Haydock lane and the closing down ceremony. I am fascinated to know how the NAFFI Spiders Web came by its name? I came across this building when the camp was being demolished and remember a plane ( maybe a Spitfire) painted on one of the walls. Back in my childhood days I never dreamed I would be researching this area of Haydock no pix or nothing.
If I am correct , would the title AOC stand for Air Force Commanding? and if possible could you put any names to the photo of the AOC Parade?
Best regards
Greyhound

Offline jimbo737

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 October 05 21:32 BST (UK) »
Not sure if there are any photos of the guard room, it was part of the Restricted Area, we entered the communications centre via the guard room, so I would have thought photos were a nono, but you never know.

One photo on the ServicePals website is in that direction but you can't actually see the guard room.

Don't remember anything but plain walls in the NAAFI when I was there. I do remember an amusing story though. One Sunday evening just before closing there were around six of us at the bar talking to the bar girl who came from Liverpool.

She said "Last night when I closed up I went through to my room, got ready for bed, then I pulled the clothes back and jumped in to bed, and all of a sudden I felt this big black hairy thing between my legs." (it was the cat!)

Well, as soon as she said it every one of us erupted, and she couldn't think why we were laughing. We virtually had to draw her a picture before she saw the funny side of what she had just said.

You are close, but AOC actually stands for Air Officer Commanding.

Sorry but I can't remember any names it's been too long now.

The NAAFI on every signals camp was called the Spiders Web club. I think it comes from the sparks badge we wore on our arm to identify us as signallers. I seem to rememeber it was supposed to look similar to a spiders web.

Regards,
Jimbo

Offline Greyhound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 October 05 15:17 BST (UK) »
Jimbo,

you have been a great help,the photo's on the servicepals web site are the only one's I have managed to  Obtain apart from one newspaper cutting which I will send to you from my other e mail account. I just loved the story about the bar girl and the cat, good stuff.
The other info about the Spiders web now makes sense its been a puzzle for some time. Jimbo, would it be possible to give me some idea of how many personnel were on the camp during your stay? I have been told the woman out numbered the men  :D
I know I am a bother but anything that comes to mind would be a great help.
Regards
Greyhound