Author Topic: County Kerry  (Read 7059 times)

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
County Kerry
« on: Wednesday 18 August 04 14:37 BST (UK) »
 ;)  Hello Everyone,
I am a Newbie to this forum and my experience in Genealogy is quite limited.  Therefore I apologise in advance for any questions I may ask that may appear daft.  

I am looking for information on the following names: CRONIN, NOLAN, FINN, SPILLANE, CLIFFORD from County Kerry.  Places names found so far (in respective order) are GORTADRISLIG, GORTADRISLIG, CALLINAFERCY, MILLTOWN and SCORT.  

So far I've been able to establish a few threads and 1 goes back to 1807, so I think I'm doing ok.

Look forward to chatting
 :D
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re: County Kerry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 August 04 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Nettie,

Welcome to RootsChat.   ;D 

We like daft questions on RootsChat so please don't apologise for them,  we try to remember that we were all beginners once,  some of us not so long ago.  And congratulations on getting back to 1807,  you are doing ok.  8)

As your name interests are specific to areas the best place to post this information is in the Kerry board,  and I see you have already done this.   ;D So you are doing well so far.

Our tips on getting started thread may help:

http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3996.0

And we look forward to hearing from you again,

Kazza. (Global Moderator)
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline auntie p

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 05 19:13 BST (UK) »
Have you found any of your Spillane's that came to New York?  I have just started researching my Spillane's, and don't know where they came from originally.  I only know they were in Dublin around 1910, before some of them came to NY.
I am sorry but my email address is not working.
Spillane
McTeague
Ford
Conwell

Offline baseballady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 05 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Nettie,
I also am looking for Cronin's, they were from Castletownroche, County Cork, John to be specific,born 22 June 1842-Father- Berney Cronin- he married Margaret Mary Casey born in County Kerry-Cahirciveen 21 Aug 1844-parents John Casey and Johanna Coakley Casey

Offline biddybarracks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 December 05 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Nettie.
Which names are you looking for in the Callinafercy/Miltown area? I am living in Miltown and my husband's grandmother was a Clifford. It is believed that some of the Cliffords in Callinafercy would be related to my husband. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to figure out exactly how (but we're working on it). There are several different Cronins around and a couple of Spillanes. However, there is only 1 Finn family left. They originated in Callinafercy but are now based in Listry/Faha area. Hope some of this information helps.

Offline vanman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 February 06 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nettie,

I too am looking for Cliffords from Ireland, possibly County Kerry (Tralee). I have a Patrick John Clifford (b1807) married to a Mary Unknown (b 1806). I have found three children so far. Amy (1830), John Charles (b 1834), and Mary Ann (b 1835). They all move to London around 1850 and appear in the 1851 London Census.
Do youthink there is any connection here to your Clifford?
Regards
Clifford, Ireland. Kerry. Tralee, Cork

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Baseballady,

I have just been browsing through "Encyclopaedia of Ireland" General Editor Brian Lalor. Published by Gill and Macmillan. I spotted some information on the Casey family of Ballaugh, Sneem, Co. Kerry. They were noted oarsman and women, tug-of-war champions, wrestlers and boxers. They were known as "the toughest family on earth."  Michael ("Big Mick") Casey had been a bare-knuckle sparring partner for John L. Sullivan in the United States. http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Lodge/6525/JohnLSullivan.htm

Michael and his wife, Brigid (Sullivan) had a family of ten children - seven boys and three girls who they reared on their farm at Sneem
1908 Steven (Steve)
1910 Patrick (Paddy)
1911 Jack
1912 James (Jim)
1913 Michael (Mick)
!914 Thomas (Tom)
1916 Mary Margaret
1917 Daniel (Dan)
1920 Josephine
1922 Catherine

All the Best, Chris

Offline emmpicanb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 January 08 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nettie,

I also have a Spillane.  Margaret Spillane married Timothy Shea in, I think, a catholic church, in Kilkenny early 1800's.  They had three children that I know of, Timothy Shea jnr, Nora and I believe the youngest was Daniel Shea, who was born in Tralee in 1815, convicted of sheep stealing and transported to Australia in 1838 on the Neptune 4.  He married in Sydney and became a successful businessman in NSW.  He was my ggggrandfather. 

I can't tell you any more about Margaret, unfortunately, because I haven't done much research on her yet.

emmpicanb
Shea, Spillane, Co Kerry, Ireland
John Martin, (daughter) Susan Martin, Antrim, Ireland
Pleasant Lee (nee Elner, Eleanor, Helena), Dundee
William Elner, Redgrave, Suffolk
McDowell, Antrim Ireland, Dundee Scotland
Grieve, Dundee, Scotland
Lee, John and Margaret Grieve, Dundee
William Tooley, London

Offline Scrowle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 August 18 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hello, I note that you live in Melbourne, as do I.
You mention in one of your posts that your great grandfather was Peter Spillane from Ballyvirrane. My great grandfather was Timothy Spillane born in Ballyvirrane in 1837, mother Johanna Spillane and father Patrick Crowley. Johanna Spillane's parents were Thomas Spillane and Margaret Murphy