Author Topic: Gorrell's of Fermanagh  (Read 7158 times)

Offline havachat

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Gorrell's of Fermanagh
« on: Saturday 08 October 05 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I am hoping that SKS can help me trace the family of my Maternal Gt Gt Grandmother, her name is Elizabeth Gorrell b 1823 in Magheracross, Fermanagh, Ireland her father was John Gorrell and her mother was Susan ???.

*Concerning the Gorrell family - it is difficult to research Ireland from afar, but I have had a couple of helpful contacts through the Internet, one of whom sent me the following information gleaned from the 1829 Tithe Applotment Survey:
      County      Parish         Town land   Survey
Gorrel   John Jr   Fermanagh   Magheracross      Nonvs?      1829
   John Sr           "         "            "          "
   Mathew           "         "            "          "
   Robt.           "         "            "          "
   Wm.           "         "            "          "
 Gorrell Joseph           "         "      Nonus          "
   William           "         "       Nonvs?          "

*In the 1796 Flax List for County Donegal, there is also a Robert Gorrell in Leck parish.

And the townland in Kilskeery which lies directly south of Rosscor townland being ...... DrumSONNUS.
     So if our Gorrells, or at least some of them, are living in "Sonnus", they may be more easily found in Tyrone records???

The Gorrell family lived and farmed in Roscor/ Irvinestown and Ballinamallard districts for close on 200 years. John Gorrell Roscor, leased farm for 18 yrs, 1802.

William Gorrell son of Matthew,  married Eliza Jane Brien dau of Edward and Ann Brien, on 12/03/1861 Maggie G died 1943 buried in Sydare Kate died 12/10/1940 and was buried in the Brien family grave in Kilskeery.

"Sarah Botsford" arrived 16 Feb 1842 - sailed from Greenock 12 Oct 1841.
Eliza Gorrel (also written as Gore), 18y, farm servt, gone to brother at Parramatta, brought out by J Miller, under protection of James & Mary Corrigan- a cousin of latter, native of Maheracroft Fermagh, parents John & Susan- father is alive, a farm & dairy servt, good health, likely to be useful, c/e, can read, no complaints, James & Mary paid her passage. (Arrived as a  Bounty Immigrant to Australia)

That is all the information I have on my Irish connections. I realise this is very patchy, and probably not very helpful to you.

Elizabeth Gorrell married John Germain in Singleton New South Wales Australia on 23 January 1949 & settled in Ipswich, Queensland Australia.

Any information at all on her parents or siblings (if any) would be most welcome.  Please help me break down this brick wall?

Havachat

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Gorrell's of Fermanagh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 February 06 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Havachat,

I looked at http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php and wonder where your Gorrells are hiding. A search of All Ireland only produced two people of this name in Co. Donegal during the period 1848-64 (Griffiths Valuation of Ireland). This next site covering the same period showed one Gorrell in Co. Donegal http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm William Gorrell of Roscor, Irvinestown, Co. Fermanagh owned 20 acres in Co. Tyrone in 1876. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~tyrone/info/landowners.html

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline Cara Gorrell Fitzgerald

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello! I am not sure if I will be of any help to you, but I am from the line of one Elizabeth Gorrell.  If you have followed this family extensively, you already know that we use our names for generation upon generation.  From the names you have posted here, I am quite certain that this branch must be attached to the same tree somehow.  She is too young to be "my" grandmother Elizabeth, but certainly may be a namesake. 

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline LeNeve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 May 20 23:02 BST (UK) »
I’m related to this family. Is anybody out there still researching them?

Offline Charlie_B

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 14:50 GMT (UK) »
 Re: Elizabeth Gorrell
Hi there cousin,   Elizabeth and John Germain were my GGGrandparents on my dad's side.
 They had 9 children one of whom was my GGrandfather, Lucius Lazarus Germain who married Mary Eyrine Smith (another couple of sites missppell her middle name as "Irene") in 1889 at 29 years of age. Mary was born in Camboon, Barcoo, Qld on 24th May 1875.
My grandmother, Eva May Bruce nee Germain, was their daughter.
 John and Elizabeth had quite a few children as I mentioned - Elizabeth was one; she oddly used Jarman, instead of Germain (which I believe was due to sentiments towards the Germans at the time) Elizabeth Jnr married a man with the surname, Rail. Susan Triphosia was another, along with Lucius Lazarus my ggranddad. To give you more info on their children I have to get over my excitement at finally! finding you on a fairly recent post and check notes etc.,
 John Germain was born on 6th April 1823 in Carlton Husthwaite, Birdforth, North Riding, Yorkshire and Elizabeth Gorrell was born in Magheracross, Fermanagh, Ireland in 1823.
Lucius, their son, and Mary had 14! children one of whom was my Nana, Eva May, who married Archibald Bruce and they lived in Maroochydore. Others included Ethel Mary who married a Joseph Spooner and Thomas Edward. The 11 others, I have to look at my research. which, to be honest is a little higgledy-piggledy; it's very confusing doing this, as you no doubt know. Oh I am SO excited about this! To be able to fill in some blanks for you is amazing! And to have found new rellies! So many have lived near us and it's now too late. Ironically, we lived not far from where you are for many years. Take care, please!
Until I hear from you~Charlie.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you! 😀