Author Topic: The artist Norah Neilson Gray  (Read 5947 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
The artist Norah Neilson Gray
« on: Monday 10 October 05 11:28 BST (UK) »
The artist Norah Neilson Gray (1882-1931) was born in Helensburgh but moved to Glasgow with her family around 1901.

She studied at Glasgow School of Art and later taught design and drawing there and at St Columba's School in Kilmacolm. By 1910 she had a studio in Bath Street and had held her first one-woman show in Glasgow, having previously submitted works to exhibitions at the Royal Academy, the Glasgow Institute and in Paris.

I am seeking any information about Norah's family and would be grateful for any assistance with this.
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Taklamakan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The artist Norah Neilson Gray
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 October 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
I have just noticed your post from 2005 and wonder whether you can help.Do you know whether, during the First World War, Norah Neilson Gray had a brother, other relative or friend called Willie? (other name unfortunately not known). He fought in the war. Second, have you come across a friend of Norah N. G. called Mary Robertson who lived at Perth during WW1? Finally, do you have any examples of Norah N. G's handwriting? Any help gratefully received!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 October 15 12:12 BST (UK) »
This article mentions a sister Tina and parents George Gray & Norah Neilson-
http://pictify.saatchigallery.com/759652/artemis-dreaming-little-brother-1921-norah-neilson-gray

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 October 15 12:47 BST (UK) »
Norah was my 2nd cousin and, although she did not have a brother named William, there were several Williams in the family - however, I would really need a bit more information before I could try to identify the person you are looking for. 

I don't know anything about a friend named Mary nor do I have examples of Norah's handwriting.

Regards

:-)

Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 October 15 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, some things on the family.

Norah Neilson Gray  born:1882  Row, Dunbarton
       parents: George Gray & Norah Neilson

siblings to Norah N. Gray:
Agnes  born: 26 March 1872  Anderston, Glasgow
Andrew  born: 3 March 1873  Anderston, Glasgow
James Neilson  born: 10 Aug 1874  Row, Dunbarton
Margaret Muriel  born: 1879  Row, Dunbarton
Tina  born: 1884  Row, Dunbarton

Marriage:
George William Gray
married
Norah Neilson
28 February 1871
in Falkirk, Stirling

Deaths:
Norah Neilson Gray  died:1922 Hillhead, Glasgow

George Gray  died: 1918 Row, Dunbarton

Births:
George William Gray  born: 23 Sept 1843    bap: 15 Nov 1843  Old Monkland, Lanark
     Parents:Andrew Gray & Margaret Stewart

siblings to George W. Gray:
Janet Jopp  born: 10 July 1838  bap: 12 Aug 1838  Old Monkland, Lanark
Elizabeth McPhee  born: 19 March 1840  bap:26 April 1840  Old Monkland, Lanark
James  born: 25 May 1859  Edinburgh, Midlothian

Marriage of George W. Gray's parents:

Andrew Gray
married
Margaret Stewart
27 Nov 1836 Glasgow  or 8 Dec 1836 Old Monkland, Glasgow
** Scotlands people have 2 marriages for them. It may have something to do with the fact that Andrew was the Minister of Dumbarton.

Birth:
Norah Neilson
8 February 1849
Falkirk, Stirling
father: James Neilson
mother: Agnes Neil

siblings to Norah Neilson:
Jean  bap: 21 Nov 1830  Falkirk, Stirling
John  bap: 29 April 1832  Falkirk
Clementina  born: 23 March 1834  bap: 20 April 1834  Falkirk
Agnes  born: 4 June 1836  bap: 22 Aug 1836  Falkirk
Thomas  bap: 13 Feb 1838  Falkirk
James  bap: 16 April 1840  Falkirk
Thomas  bap: 15 Feb 1842  Falkirk
William  bap: 11 Sept 1843  Falkirk
Theodore  bap: 15 Dec 1851  Falkirk
Charles Stirling  bap: 5 January 1854 Falkirk
* Norah has at least 1 more brother Robert whose birth I could not locate. He was 3 yrs older than Norah. It may be possible there were others given the gap between 1843-1851.

Marriage of Norah's parents:
James Neilson
married
Agnes Neil
18 Sept 1830
in Polmont, Stirling

Hope this helps, Kim

Offline Taklamakan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 October 15 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kim
Many thanks for this. I have a WW1 postcard sent by "Norah" (no other names) from the Scottish Women's Hospital at Royaumont Abbey in France. I am trying to find out whether this could be Norah Neilson Gray, who was a VAD nurse there, hence my interest in her handwriting. A bit of a long shot - I know of another Norah based at Royaumont and of course there could well have been others too.

I have traced a descendant who owns a wonderful self-portrait painted by Norah N. G., and will check with him whether he recognises the handwriting.
Regards, Philip

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 December 15 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Marriage of George W. Gray's parents:
Andrew Gray
married
Margaret Stewart
27 Nov 1836 Glasgow  or 8 Dec 1836 Old Monkland, Glasgow
** Scotlands people have 2 marriages for them. It may have something to do with the fact that Andrew was the Minister of Dumbarton.

No. Nothing to do with him being minister of Dumbarton. Andrew Gray did not became minister of Dumbarton until 1843.

What it has to do with is that at the time of their marriage one of the couple lived in Glasgow and the other lived in Old Monkland (which is not in Glasgow - it is a separate parish in its own right). Therefore their banns had to be proclaimed in both parishes, resulting in a record being created in both parishes. There would have been only one wedding ceremony, most likely in the bride's parish.

According to Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae he was born in Bothwell in 1806, second son of George Gray, merchant, educated at the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh, licensed by the Presbytery of Hamilton in 1828, served as schoolmaster at Baillieston Toll, then missionary in Old Monkland before being ordained to Crosshill in 1835. He was transferred to Dumbarton in 1843.

Fasti also notes that he married Margaret Stewart in 1836, and had Janet Jopp, in 1838, Elizabeth McFie in 1840 and George in 1843. No mention of James. Margaret Stewart or Gray died in 1854, and her husband in 1881.

Fasti quotes The God's Acres of Dunbarton by Macleod, pages 54-58.

I note a baptism in the Community Contributed IGI of Andrew, son of George Gray and Elizabeth McPhee, in Bothwell in 1801, and a Community Indexed one for Margaret Stewart, daughter of William Stewart and Janet Jopp, in Glasgow in 1806.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.