Author Topic: Grays - Monaghan-brick wall!!  (Read 17426 times)

Offline jackstorey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grays - Monaghan-brick wall!!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I'm in touch with Ross Gray & with his help I have copied the Church Records of Legnacreeve / Braddox to CD. The Gray, Ross & associated families you listed are included on the these Church Records - you can contact me directly on (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail and address removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Christine Robinson

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 January 09 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jack
My name is Christine Casey Robinson...I understand you have copied old records from  parish churches in Monaghan ...I had a post on Irish Roots web and I was looking for info on Gillilands - Maxwell's  we think from Ballybay or Clontibret I'm  hopeful it was you who said your wife's sister married a Gilliland from Ballybay...??? is it possible for you to post any info regarding marriages or births from before 1820's...The earliest name we have is a John Gilliland born around 1820 - a farmer who married Jane / Margaret Maxwell - marriage around 1840's we think ...they had three kids that we know of...Joseph Gordon, George  Ernest and Rachel....John died in a Quarry accident around 1850's and the family were allowed to live in the gatehouse of Clontibret parish church..by the minister Swanzy...that's all we know and would love to get a bit of earlier information   eg parents / siblings of John Gilliland and Jane/ Margaret Maxwell and accurate dates of birth and marriage if possible ....would very much answer a lot of brick walls for us too.....All of our modern Gilliland family live mostly in Glasgow Scotland which started with George Ernest... up to and including my mother....Barbara Gilliland (Casey) Thank you Jack... kind regards... Christine Casey Robinson

Offline jackstorey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 January 09 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the Church Records of 14 North Monaghan Churches are now copied - the data in these old books was tremendous, especially the Session Books & Vestry Books.  My wife's sister is Mrs Gilliliand attending Derryvally Church, at Ballybay - her other sister is Mrs Graham of Clontibret attending the Church of Ireland there - her husband is Church Warden so assisted with the Records.  My direct contact is (*) so you can e-mail me there directly

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Christine Robinson

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 January 09 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jack
Thats great news and good info, I hope to come to Ireland to see some of the old records and sites of my ancestors when I return from Australia later this year....I admire the work you's have done to transcribe the old records to digital form, such a valuable resource, and I bet a wealth of information - well done, I will try to get a look at the online resources when I figure out how to
access the personal messaging system, thanks for your response and hopefully I will connect with you again at some point soon ....
Kind Regards - Christine Casey Robinson 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 July 09 18:14 BST (UK) »
Mary Gray dau, William Gray, Lismacrerk, Monaghan married James Wilson son, Samuel Wilson, Cornasoo, Kilmore, on 12th Aug 1884 also by  Rev James McAskie

Hannah Gray dau, William Gray, Lismacrerk, Monaghan married John Groves son, William Groves, Arclintagh, Clontibret on 8th April 1873 also by Rev James McAskie

Samuel Gray son, William Gray, Lismacrerk, Monaghan married  Agnes McDowell dau, Thomas McDowell, Tullyhumphry on 23rd Nov 1875 Rev James McAskie
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 July 09 18:26 BST (UK) »
Jane Turbitt dau, Robert Turbitt, Clonlonan, Tyholland married George Ernest Gilliland son, John Gilliland  +  Margaret Maxwell, Castleshane on 10th Feb 1874 by Rev J McAskie

The Maxwells came from Newbliss area and are a bit difficult to track down as they left the county. I'm working on rounding up the Maxwells as they come in and out of my line at various stages but indirectly via in laws... There are quite a few Gilliland families around the area.

Offline KCG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 March 12 07:40 BST (UK) »
I just found this on google when looking for the place in ireland where my grandmother Mary Gray was born Feb.2 1888.  Her dad was Samuel Gray and her mother was Agnes McDowell.  She was baptized May 20,1888 in the Second Clontibret Presbyterian Church.  I've signed up to this website to contact you but I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly or if you will see this since this post is so old. Please let me know if you get this. KCG

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 March 12 22:46 BST (UK) »
Well you have Samuel's siblings etc plus there are quite a few graveyards photographed at  http://goo.gl/e8hNP  where you will see text files, you could try looking at these and use 'search' to see if any of the names you are after turn up then you can get links in next column to view gravestones for any you find.

Also www.google.ie will get you different results than .com or .au etc plus you have 1901/1911  Census at http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/ just put in Surname, then click on More Search Options and put Monaghan in County of Origin and you'll get them wherever they were in 1901 and 1911.

Offline KCG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 March 12 23:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  :D