Author Topic: 1841 Census - Welshpool - EVANS  (Read 6906 times)

Offline arkay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1841 Census - Welshpool - EVANS
« on: Tuesday 11 October 05 06:56 BST (UK) »
 Hello,

Thanks for your look-up offer for the 1841 census.  I would really appreciate a search for my great-grandmother, Sarah EVANS, b. 1832-33, in Welshpool.  On her 1857 marriage cert. to John PRYCE, her father is shown as Samuel EVANS, weaver, deceased.

There is a Sarah Evans age 19 born in Kerry on the 1851 Newtown census, and also a Samuel Evans, weaver, age 61 b. in Aberhafesp - so perhaps they could be my family.  However, on every census from 1861 to 1901 she says she was born in Welshpool, and my great-granny wouldn't tell a lie, would she?

Thanks a lot!

Arkay
Travis, Earnshaw, Wild, Hibbert, Warren, Leech - Ashton-under-Lyne
Mills, Fallows - Middleton
Pryce, Evans - Welshpool, Mgy, Wales
Davies - Criggion, Shropshire
Whittaker, Evans, Benussi - Liverpool
Price, Whittaker - Great Crosby
Atherton - Frodsham, Cheshire
Riley - Huddersfield area, Yorkshire

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - Welshpool - EVANS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 October 05 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Arkay,
Of course she wouldn't  :)
I had a look at the 1841 census for Welshpool and the only Samuel Evans I found was a Hairdresser - no daughter Sarah.
How about this perhaps......

HO107/1442/6, Enumeration District 11, Welshpool, page 29
Address:  Plantation.
All surnames Evans, all born in county.......
John, 35, Lab
Evan, 12, Roll Splicer
Margaret, 35
SARAH, 7
Elizabeth, 8 mths

Was Margaret Samuel's widow and living in her brother-in-law's house?

In the 1851 all Sarahs of the right age living in Welshpool did not have Samuel as their father.   Hope this helps.
Cheers Dave 8)
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline arkay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 October 05 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for checking for me.  The Sarah you found in Welshpool in '41 is probably not mine - a couple of years too young, and it looks as if her father was John.  My Sarah's father was definitely Samuel, a weaver, so it does seem that the one in 1851 in Newtown could be the right one.

So... if you have the Newtown census, would you mind looking up the family there, too?  She would have been about 9 at that time.  Also, the Samuel found  in 1851 was born in Aberhafesp, which I think is close by.

I appreciate your help,

Arkay

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 October 05 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Arkay,
Could not find Samuel or Sarah Evans in Newtown.   The records are very faint and badly written in places so they could be there.
If Sarah's mother was Margaret, that could have been her in Welshpool, Samuel having died already.
Cheers Dave  8)
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline arkay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 October 05 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Dave,

I'm afraid I don't know Sarah's mother's name, and she was born too early to have a birth cert.

In 1851 Samuel Evans (61), the weaver, lived with wife Elizabeth (59), a yarn winder, and son Richard (23), a shoemaker, on Pool Road (f235/p7) and a Sarah Evans (19), was a house servant in Gro (f240/p17).  Any sign of Richard, perhaps?  I was hoping that if I could find that family in 1841 without Sarah, then I could eliminate them. Is the 1841 census name-indexed or by street only?

Many thanks for looking!

Arkay

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 October 05 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Arkay,
No such luck!   The 1841 is a photographic copy of the originals with no indexing at all, so without knowing roughly where people lived it is an impossible task to find them.
Add to that the sometimes indifferent writing, faint, blurred or erased images, I'm quite surprised to find anything.   But then finding a family makes it worth while.
I'm assuming that Richard, at age 13, would still be at home with his parents and the only Samuel Evans I found in Welshpool was the hairdresser and I can't remember the names of any children.   I'll see if I can find him again or Richard on his own.
Cheers Dave  8)

Offline arkay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 October 05 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm not sure I made myself clear - it's the NEWTOWN census I would like to have checked (if and when you have the time) for

Samuel EVANS, Weaver (about 41)
Elizabeth (about 39)
Richard (about 13)
and, hopefully,
Sarah (about 9)

Address:  Pool Road, Newtown (in 1851)

Thanks so much!

Arkay

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 October 05 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arkay
I did look in Newtown (my post of 17 Oct) but will run thru again.
As I said the copy, especially Newtown, is pretty difficult.   Will be in touch.
Cheers Dave  8)

Offline arkay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 01:59 GMT (UK) »
I really appreciate all your searching, Dave.  I know how hard on the eyes it can be, after looking for other family members in the old Lancashire censuses.

I hope Sam and Sarah will turn up one day!

Thanks again,

Arkay