Author Topic: 1841 Census - Welshpool - EVANS  (Read 6930 times)

Offline Bigdanceman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - Welshpool - EVANS
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 April 12 16:31 BST (UK) »
See you have posted in a couple of places about Sarah Evans and her husband John Pryce...They are my gg grandparents too.... Can not find out much about Sarah's father Samuels. Regards, Tim.

Offline arkay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 April 12 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Tim,

Sorry to say that since I first posted this 7 years ago, I've not had much luck either!

It's interesting that we may be related, though.  I'm descended from their son Ernest George.  Which of their children was your ancestor? 

I see this is your first posting, so if you'd prefer to send me a PM (private message), you will need to make 2 more postings on RootsChat first (those are the rules). 

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Travis, Earnshaw, Wild, Hibbert, Warren, Leech - Ashton-under-Lyne
Mills, Fallows - Middleton
Pryce, Evans - Welshpool, Mgy, Wales
Davies - Criggion, Shropshire
Whittaker, Evans, Benussi - Liverpool
Price, Whittaker - Great Crosby
Atherton - Frodsham, Cheshire
Riley - Huddersfield area, Yorkshire

Offline Bigdanceman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 April 12 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi ...from a mutual Liverpool based relative, I have a couple of pictures of Ernest George and several other Pryces/Prices. Note some of the siblings used different spellings.

My great great grandfather was John Pryce and his wife Sarah Evans. Their oldest son was John Price, my great grandfather,married to Elizabeth Evans (who knows if related to her mother in law....we are short on Welsh surnames...!!), also of Welshpool, and they had a brood of 11, with 9 surviving, including Annie, who was my Mother's mother. My mother is 90 next week and remembers many of the Prices well....Annie died quite young, but I knew her sisters well, including one who died at 99. Met one of the two brothers once as a kid too....For some reason the "girls", including one in the US, stayed VERY close and the brothers seemed to have less contact. The Price name carried on, to an extent, as was given as one of her middle names to my aunt, who was christened Muriel Annie Price Sinclair.

On my English side, I have gone back, father to son, as far back as a 1245 birth, but had been less sucessful with the ,to me more important Welsh side, as I was brought up in North Wales, near Chester, but only recently did a fellow searcher, on ancestry.co.uk, put me right about John and Sarah, as I had put down another couple.....Have photos of both of them as a result....A real find. Have also photos of John & Sarah's daughter, Harriet, her WW1 war widow daughter and her son, another daughter, as well as of Edwin and George who looks very like me to be honest !! Some only of interest to me, including one of my Mum as a baby and her sister, both seen before, but lost by my aunt many years ago, AND one of my aunt, who was 11 years older than my mother, as a tiny baby, with her mother ,grandmother AND gggrandmother all together, which HAD been lost too, but often mentioned in the family......FOUR generations together in 1913, just before the old lady died. I inherited a portrait of sorts of her, from my aunt, in which she was a bit younger...From the photo can see it is the same woman.....Amazing stuff....Is also amazing that people had kept such, knowing only they were vaguely relatations from the past.....

As regards Sarah and John, have to warn you John, like his son John, was a fairly good looking chap, but Sarah does ressemble an angry bulldog, chewing a wasp, as a middle aged woman in the photo......Would not have wanted to get the wrong side of that welsh dragon, believe me.....

John Pryce senior left Welshpool, with Sarah, and some of their children and settled near Liverpool where he was a gardener and where their family grew. Believe he had worked at Powis Castle, which IS on the edge of Welshpool. Our lot stayed more Welsh because the oldest son John, my ggrandfather married my ggrandmother, from Welshpool, even though they too settled in Liverpool. However the family continued to split their time between Welshpool & Liverpool where the Evans family were...... Elizabeth's mother lived with her "late baby", Evan Evans, who was widowed young. He ran a confectioners and had two boys. The younger unmarried brother of John senior, Philip, who had become a very well to do butcher in the town, lived at one point with his 16 year older sister Eliza, in Welshpool, at what had always been called "Red Bank" in our family; its English name. The Liverpool realtive also sent me photos of the two of them at the house, along with my grandmother as a teenager.....Is BRYNCOCH in Welsh, which my school Welsh told me is"red hill"..... so makes sense....The house is no longer there but the part of town is still Red Bank...

Like many of my extended family, including some now deceased from California, I have been to Welshpool many times ( my mother & her family used to stay there, well into the 30's & 40's for part of the year ). I mentioned to a lady there, I was related to the Pryce family of Red Bank and, UNPROMPTED, she talked about the ghost of the woman, who used to chase people away from the gates.....That had been a "family myth" with us for a long time...The ghost is presumed to be of Eliza....Locals in the know were & are always cautious walking past the place, at night time, because of the stories......Eliza had also moved around, but was widowed young and then went to keep house for him. They died a year apart in 1923 &1924.
So there we are.......related through the Pryces/Prices...the family who could not agree on how to spell the name!!!
I am sure can copy you on the photos if would like? Best regards, Tim.

Offline arkay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 April 12 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim,

It's wonderful to find a new cousin!  Thank you for outlining the details of your Pryce/Price family, which all ties in with what I have found. 

I'll try to send you a PM now so we can exchange email addresses and further info.

Cheers!

Travis, Earnshaw, Wild, Hibbert, Warren, Leech - Ashton-under-Lyne
Mills, Fallows - Middleton
Pryce, Evans - Welshpool, Mgy, Wales
Davies - Criggion, Shropshire
Whittaker, Evans, Benussi - Liverpool
Price, Whittaker - Great Crosby
Atherton - Frodsham, Cheshire
Riley - Huddersfield area, Yorkshire