Author Topic: 1861 Census Problems.  (Read 4149 times)

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
1861 Census Problems.
« on: Wednesday 12 October 05 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm having trouble locating the below named in the 1861 census (1837 on line version).In 1851 they are in Newtown,Montgomeryshire; in 1871 and 1881 they are in Llangollen.However, they seem to have completely split up and disappeared in 1861,at least I can't identify them.

The 1851 census is as follows:
David Humphreys. Head. 45years. Weaver. Newtown.
Elizabeth Humphreys. Wife. 41years. Milliner. Newtown.
Hannah Humphreys. Daug. 17years. Dressmaker. Newtown.
Evan Humphreys. Son. 11years. Weaver. Newtown.
John Humphreys. Son. 8years.Scholar.Newtown.
Elizabeth Humphreys.Daug. 7years. Scholar.Newtown.

In 1871 David is age 64 years;his wife is shown as Elen,age 60 years;they have a daughter Ann, age 33years(not recorded in other censuses);Evan is 30years, and shown as a musician;another daughter,Mary,age 24 years, a milliner,born Newtown,has appeared;Elizabeth is shown as 20 years old, a dressmaker.
John and Hannah have disappeared,but I know where John is.Presumably ,Hannah is married...if she is not Ann?.

In 1881(per LDS version) David is 75yrs;wife Elizabeth is 71 years;Evan is 40 years and a weaver;Mary is 28 years.

Now to 1861------ I cannot identify any of this family from the above details in this census.I have found various David and Elizabeth Humphreys's but I don't think they are right because they,at least, have been consistent with their ages,places of birth and occupations in the censuses and the details given did not agree with those previously recorded.I have also found an Evan Humphreys,but again the place of birth supplied does not agree with that previously supplied and that ,too,has been consistent.The girls also seem to have disappeared.I assume(I know I shouldn't) are,with the exception of Mary,are married.There is also some problem with their ages.They seem to have stayed together in various combinations,over the years, so why should they split up in 1861?.

Is there anyone who can assist in finding this lot for me please........ ???
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census Problems.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 05 13:33 BST (UK) »
Do not know if you have this.  1861 - This looks like a possible Evan  to consider from the 1851 info.  Will have a look for the others.... UPDATE unable to find  ???

RG9/4250
Newtown
Folio 57  Pg 19

Address  The Frolic

Evan Humphreys head, 21  Newtown, Montgomery (flannel spinner)

Mary Humphreys 22, wife, Newtown, (dressmaker)

John Humphreys 1  son, Newtown
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 October 05 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Thanks for that.I must admit I didn't really think that Evan may have been married due to his age...20 (ish),but the one you have found is a possibility.I'll try to dig up a marriage and see what that gives me.

As for the others it really is a problem to identify them.

Best wishes.  :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 May 06 03:24 BST (UK) »
In the April 2006 newsletter from 1837online.com there is a long list of missing pieces of the 1861 census with this statement:
'There are a number of enumeration books missing, or parts of enumeration books (usually missing start or finish), from the 1861 census.'
There follows a list of the books affected [mostly in Wales!] that they know of, both those missing in their entirety (M) and those which are incomplete (I) in the National Archives and they 'will add to the list as our members help us to identify others.'

It is possible for me to email the list to interested parties upon receipt of an email address in a PM.

I reckon that a similar scenario in 1871 could account for missing ancestors that year!

SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 May 06 12:40 BST (UK) »
Most kind..........thank you.

:)
"Yma o hyd".