Author Topic: WW1 Internment Camp at Knockaloe  (Read 96568 times)

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Internment Camp at Knockaloe
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 April 07 08:51 BST (UK) »
I just found out (last night) that a gt gt uncle of mine was interred on the Isle Of Man during WW2. He was running a cafe in Wales, when the entire family were turfed out at midnight.

Don't suppose anyone has come across the surname Gambetta in the course of their research?
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 17:46 BST (UK) »
Not that I recall, but will keep an eye out for him.
WW2 records are much easier to locate than WW1 records, however, so you should be able to find him eventually.  I do not know a lot about WW2 records, however.  Perhaps you should post it separately under WW2, or look for some links here for that.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 April 07 11:22 BST (UK) »
For WW2 especially female  Italians the manx Museum is building a database based on local police records - try enquiries@mnh.gov.im
Other nationalities are more poorly served in the records as these were basically kept by London (which lost them)  and only incidental records kept on the Island
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 April 07 11:23 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant - thanks for theat - will try it now
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline hannelore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 14:53 BST (UK) »
I have a photograph of my grandfather Adolph Wieland taken outside what appears to be a corrugated iron building and there is a number tag 912 in the snow and the photographers name and Scotland on it.

After knowing nothing about my grandfather I have been very fortunate in finding out that he was internened at Knockaloe ww1 and later sent back to Germany.  My grandmother died whilst he was interned leaving a family of eight.  My mother was the youngest and as such was kept in the dark about her father.

I understand there was a camp at Stobs.  Could that be where the photograph was taken?

I am the youngest of all his grandchildren and as I am now 70yrs of age I have the great satisfaction of having finally visited Germany several times and found not only his old home from where he baked and sold bread but I have also discovered living relatives who are absolutely lovely.

This year one of those relatives visited my family and I and I now feel that I have re united our German family and our English family who knew nothing of each others existence.

Germany holds many records but I have been unable to find proof of his existence in England.

Offline Rozy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 23 May 08 20:53 BST (UK) »
The husband of my great-aunt, Beatrice Bletsoe, was a German, they married in March 1911. I know, from my granny, that he was a internee, on the Isle Man. Onfortunaly i don't know his full name. It is suggested that his name was, Adalbert F. Roye. He survived. Was it permitted to visit your husband.
She lived not on the Isle Man, but on the main land.

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 24 May 08 10:51 BST (UK) »
Rozy, it appears that his name was Adalbert F. ROYS, according to the index.  You can order a copy of the marriage certificate, which will probably give you his father's name, and it may give you his middle name as well..  It's possible that it is misspelled on the index, and that it really was ROYE.
They married in the Brighton area.
I think that spousal visits were sometimes permitted.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline Siridharmagalliano

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 January 09 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello. This is my first time posting and I am fascinated to find this webpage and hope I am doing this right,
I am an American, a Pilates teacher for 22 years. Joseph Pilates was interred at
Douglas during WW1 and that is where he developed his exercise method.
I am writing a book about him and I've become deeply interested in the Isle Of Man.
Is it possible I could use a copy of your photograph?
Joseph Pilates worked in the hospital, very little, of course, is known about his life there, but he did finally make it to America and his method of mind-body exercise, I
believe based on his deep survivl skills, is now done by thousands.
Yours,
Siridharma Galliano

I have a photograph of my grandfather Adolph Wieland taken outside what appears to be a corrugated iron building and there is a number tag 912 in the snow and the photographers name and Scotland on it.

After knowing nothing about my grandfather I have been very fortunate in finding out that he was internened at Knockaloe ww1 and later sent back to Germany.  My grandmother died whilst he was interned leaving a family of eight.  My mother was the youngest and as such was kept in the dark about her father.

I understand there was a camp at Stobs.  Could that be where the photograph was taken?

I am the youngest of all his grandchildren and as I am now 70yrs of age I have the great satisfaction of having finally visited Germany several times and found not only his old home from where he baked and sold bread but I have also discovered living relatives who are absolutely lovely.

This year one of those relatives visited my family and I and I now feel that I have re united our German family and our English family who knew nothing of each others existence.

Germany holds many records but I have been unable to find proof of his existence in England.

Offline hannelore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 January 09 13:24 GMT (UK) »

Thank you for your reply to my posting on the web site.

I would be happy to send you a copy of the photograph I have of my Grandfather.

I have established that it was taken at Stobs camp where he was interned befor being transferred to Knockaloe.

My family and I visited Knockaloe and stood on the site where the camp once stood.  It was a strange feeling and a very emotional one to imagine all the innocent people taken away from their families living in the wooden huts.  The land is now owned by the Ministry of Agriculture.

My Mother and her siblings were left without parents and I have discovered their story to be very sad indeed.  It affected them for the rest of their lives and their German parentage had to be kept a sectret out of fear.

If you know of some way of letting me know your address I will send a copy of the photograph to you.