Author Topic: BAYLISS/Hen & Chickens Ludlow Shropshire  (Read 6227 times)

Offline bhandley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BAYLISS/Hen & Chickens Ludlow Shropshire
« on: Saturday 15 October 05 17:09 BST (UK) »
I believe one of my great grandmothers came from the public house, Hen and Chickens Ludlow.
She was Margaret Barker nee Bayliss or similar.
She was born about 1852.
Married Noah Barker born approx 1833.
Lived in Willenhall, Staffs.
Does anyone know about the history of the Hen and Chickens and/or the Bayliss family.

Barbara

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: BAYLISS/Hen & Chickens Ludlow Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 October 05 18:01 BST (UK) »
Aha!! now the Bayliss family is not what you want somebody else to provide you with the history of, but what you need is how to find it out for yourself, that's much more fun.  Welcome to both Rootschat and this great hobby of ours and I'm sure you are going to enjoy yourself finding out more about your family.

I have a couple of suggestions for you since I notice you have posted a few messages in the Common Room.

Firstly that you post your enquiries such as for the Hen and Chickens in Ludlow, on the appropriate Shropshire messageboard where  people who know the area will read your query and might be able to give you some history of the public house.

Secondly, I could write you a list of places to look for births, marriages, and deaths and censuses etc. but I would be duplicating the excellent postings which are on the Beginners Board here on Rootschat http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,47.0.html

All the information that you have I would make notes of them and try to put them into some sort of chronological order and then starting maybe with your grandparents, get accurate dates together from birth and marriage certificates, plus some memories of what children, siblings and parents etc. there were to  try to establish a family which will appear in the 1901 census and then you can be specific in asking for a look up.  That will give you much more definite details  so that you can progress further backwards.

Hope this is of some help and good luck.  I'm sure you are going to enjoy your searches.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline bhandley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 October 05 18:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks alot.
Will try what you advise.
Barbara

Offline JClarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

I can tell you that the Hen & Chickens pub probably dated back to the late 1700’s, although it may have started life as the Horn & Trumpet. I understand that ‘last orders’ were finally called in late 1998, after which it became a B & B.

You mention that Margaret was possibly born around 1852. I’ve checked the 1861 census for surnames similar to Bayliss and although I found a few, there was no trace of a Margaret and none of them were involved in the pub trade. For a number of years around this period, the Hen & Chickens apparently took on another name; the Railway Arms. A check of the 1861 reveals that the Railway Arms is recorded as being uninhabited. Just for your information, at this time that particular part of Old Street was known as Old Gate Fee.

I’ll try and investigate the 1851 and let you know what I find. Have you any vague idea as to her parents names or even if she had any siblings?

John
All Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Shropshire: Clarke/Clark, Williams, Prince, Bumford, Sockett, Davis/Davies, Beaumont & Luther
Leics: Clarke/Clark, Anable, Newbold
Montgomeryshire: Williams, Sockett & Thomas
Staffs: Bumford & Davis/Davies

Offline bhandley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 15:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks John for your comprehensive and very interesting reply.
At the moment I do not even have a vague idea of the family circumstances. Her granddaughters , my mother and her sister cannot remember anything else at he moment.
She was married to Noah and living in Willenhall in 1881 census.
Coincidentally my father's family the Han(d)leys came from around Ludlow. My father,grandfather and gg grandfather were all John!
Thanks alot again for your efforts,
Barbara

Offline bhandley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 November 05 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Have just learnt from a distant relative that Margaret Bayliss may have had a sister Emma Youles.
Whether the difference in surnames is through marriage or different fathers I do not know.
Barbara

Offline bhandley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Have been unable to trace Margaret Bayliss prior to her marriage to Noah Barker in Dec 1870 in Wolverhampton.
In 1881 census they were living at 5 Cannon St, Willenhall.
Cannot find anything for her  from approx birth year 1852 till marriage.
Any suggestions?

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Do you have them in the 1871 census? and when you mention her marriage to Noah Barker do you actually have the marriage certificate?  If so does it state that she was a spinster?  and what was her father's name and occupation, also what age does she give since there's quite a variation between the 1871 and 1881 censuses.  If you don't have it then you should get it, you might find that is the reason you can't find her earlier.

If you could post the full details of the earliest census you have, either 1881 or 1871 then I'm sure we will give it a go trying to find out something.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 19:01 GMT (UK) »
What about this one?

RG9/2037 11 18
Rowley Regis, Staffordshire
Rounds Hill

John Bayles, head, 44, Labourer, b. Herford Shine Walford (?)
Johannah (?), wife, 40, b. do.
John, son, 12, b. Shropshire Ludlow
Margarett, dau, 9, scholar, b. do.
Elizabeth, dau, 6, scholar, b. Staffs Tivedale
Agnes, dau, 3, scholar, b. do.
Thomas, son, 1, b. do.

Tanja  :)

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk