Author Topic: Marden Orphanage, Ober Road, Brockenhurst  (Read 7249 times)

Offline harveyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marden Orphanage, Ober Road, Brockenhurst
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 June 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie , I'd almost given up on anymore leads , so Thankyou so much for getting in contact . Do you know if the orphanage is still in Ober Road and if so what it is called now ? I couldn't believe my luck that you replied and I saw it as We are down in The New Forest on holiday , last day tomorrow and wanted to take some photos for my mum . I do hope you see this in time . I will of course show my mum the photos of your relations , Thankyou for posting x

Offline AnnieE57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 June 18 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Harvey,  Very good to hear from you.  I was in Brockenhurst recently and looked for Ober Road - which I couldn't find.  However, while on Burley Rd (I think!) going out of town I saw on the left the name Marden Court on an old wooden gate.  I assumed that was the right Marden.  The house is set back and not visible from the road.  To the right of the gate is a white bungalow which might act as a landmark for you.  Beautiful day to be in the Forest today!  If you look at the Curious Fox website there's more orphanage info should you be interested.  Best wishes to you and your mother - does she remember Sheila Souch?

Offline harveyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 June 18 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

I found it ! And the lovely lady who was in her garden in the whir Bungalow filled us in on how the main house was split in the 1959’s into 3 . We went through the gate on the side and met with one of the owners who kindly allowed us to take photos of the outside and garden. Do you have any photos of Marden that you wouldn’t mind sharing please ? I will be more able to send what photos I have taken when I’ve access to my laptop , im currently touring in Hampshire in the caravan. I will ask mum when I text her with my findings ! Mum has a photo of the VE Day celebrations that I will scan in for you when I’m back home . Thankyou so much for finding me !! Regards Heather

Offline AnnieE57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 June 18 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Heather
So pleased you found Marden and were able to take some photos.  I don't have any pics to send you but Shirley Hansford (nee Souch) has written a booklet about her early years and has a photo and words about life at Marden and also at Hawkslease in Lyndhurst, when the orphanage moved there.  Really interesting.  Was your mother also at Hawkslease?  Would love to see the VE Day photo so feel free to contact me on (*)  Best regards.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline suegregory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 April 20 20:49 BST (UK) »
hello ladies thought I would post on here as my mum and her two sisters were all at Marden from around 1940-1950. I read out the list of all the names mentioned in other posts and she remembers quite a lot of the girls names especially Beryl, Sylvia and Joyce Cooper. My mum's name was Joyce Frecknall and her sisters were Audrey and Valerie, I think she was good friends with Joyce Jennings. My mum and her sisters were placed at Marden after losing their mum during the blitz in Southampton where their house took a direct hit but she has very fond memories of her days there and said they had good fun. Would be lovely to know if there is anyone here that would remember my mum and her sisters, unfortunately both of my mum's sisters have now passed away along with her two brothers. Would love to hear back if anyone remembers her, hoping that this thread is still active

Offline JoyceJennings

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 April 23 20:16 BST (UK) »
  I am Joyce Jennings i was at Marden the same time as the Freknall girls
I am nearly89 my memories are truely happy ones my sister Dawn has passed on Audrey went to live in St Lucia. But i dont know if she is still there. Great to read all those familiar nameswhen the other girls went home for a break i used to play tennis with Miss Rosemary on the front lawnl. I was at marden and moved to Hawkslease but left soon after.  I was 3 when i went to the orphanage and 16 when i left.  A lovely life  i had 3 sons and moved to  kenya foe about 6 years. Now back where i used to live Chandlersford Hampshire.  I do hope you are keeping well. Reguards Joyce